SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas laws for smoking taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas laws for smoking taillights?

Anyone know the laws on smoking taillights here in TX? Can the entire tail be smoked or does the reverse light need to show? Also, how dark is too dark?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

i think its illegal in texas. it really depends on what kind of mood the cop is in. 01thunder has his entire lights done and they look awesome! i thought he painted over the tails its so dark....you can see the lights when he hits em though.i dont think hes had any problems with the law.

only problem i see is if someonerear ends you they might not be found at fault.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have enough problems with the cops as it is, so I'm not sure if I want to do this. I was actually just followed all the way home from class by a local cop that was clocking me at every speed limit sign change (radar detector went crazy). He was headed the other direction and I was going 5 mph UNDER the speed limit but I guess my truck looked suspect enough for him to turn around and haul *** to catch up with me and then stay within 10 ft of the back of my truck for the remainder of my drive home (about 3 miles) . I am getting rid of some of the rice-ness that I have with my truck and was looking for a taillight solution since I sold my stockers not too long back. Since my truck is 2 tone with black/pewter I thought it would look cool to just smoke the euro tails fairly dark to look good with the black. I also think it will look nice with the roll pan that I should be getting pretty soon. I guess I'll ask 01thunder about this, I really don't want to get the stick on black out covers. Thanks for the input and if anyone else has any info on this it will help out greatly.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Not sure if it's illegal or not. I wouldn't think so. Certainly it couldnt be any worse than those dodge guy's who put that Ram's Head taillight cover on. You literally can't see their lights during the day time...very annoying.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, there are several guys running around here with the blacked out taillight covers and headlight covers and they only get beef for the headlight covers so I think I am gonna smoke them a little and see what happens. I also found out that the 3457 bulbs put out like 70-80 more lumens than the 3157 or 3057 bulbs so I think I will put them in as my reverse lights and either go with 3457 or LED bulbs for the stop and turn signal bulbs. I guess at first I will tint them a little and see how the cops react.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Teching In

well Texas Transportation Code doesnt mention anything bout smoked lenses..but you can do some research and it will tell you that the taillamps shall emit a red light plainly visible at a distance of 1,000 ft. from the rear of the vehicle...TRC 547.322 section d...and also 547.323 has to do with stoplamps...but there are city and county ordinances that you might want to check on too..the other thing is depending on the cops mood...if you do it, it will give him pc to stop ya and question you and find anything else to write ya on....it is one of those things you jus have to decide on what ya want to do...I myself have never stopped anyone for them unless I couldnt see any light or very low light coming out...but you can never tell with the small town po-po's....they might not have anything else to do...hahaha...good luck...
Old 09-07-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah true, thanks for the input. I went ahead and smoked them a little, not very much. The light is still plainly visible so hopefully I won't have any problems with them.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
Yeah true, thanks for the input. I went ahead and smoked them a little, not very much. The light is still plainly visible so hopefully I won't have any problems with them.
we need pictures
Old 09-07-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try to get some up Friday, my digital cam is a piece of crap so I'll just take some pics on my gfs camera this weekend.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Post some pics please. What did you do to smoke them?

Quick Reply: Texas laws for smoking taillights?