Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting closer to painting the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Holty
cool project, i admire you willingness to learn. just one question though, you said you could not afford to pay a shop to paint it, but you spent a grand in tools to do this? I'm sure though the spray guns, compressor, etc will come in handy again in the future.
You got the idea. I was quoted 1400 to 2000 to paint all the stuff on the truck I wanted painted once upon a time. Buy the equipment, learn how to do it. Paint what you want when you want. I might also pick up some odd painting jobs. I've already had several ask about painting this or that.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Really underestimated the time to sand. Of course I'm not going at it like a madman. Learning to keep a fresher sanding disk on the DA.

Sanding through the layers. You can see where the base coat lifted from the primer.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:36 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming along nicely!

Dustin
Old 07-04-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow that was a job! Paint gone and 2 go overs with wax and grease remover. I think it turned out well. No surprises.

This would be much easier if it weren't storming all day. It's always about space for my projects. Never enough. Pulled everything from one side of the garage to the other. Washing down the floor and mopping between the rain. Moved the truck over to make room to work on the paint booth. Might get it done tonight... might not I'm tired!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking good, I trust you washed down the panel (both sides) with soapy water? I would check the specs on the reducer to see what humidity and temp ranges it works in... If nothing is listed I would wait and shoot in < 50% if you can, but definately not when it is raining.... Just my .02...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haven't washed it down with soapy water yet. Thats on the list. Checking the reducer but yeah its to humid. Should be better tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Started getting water out of the compressor for the first time today.

Keep throwing in your .02 please

Edit: Checked the NWS forecast. Humidity forecasted 55 tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by KySilverado; 07-04-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

After you sand then you wash it just like you would if it had paint on it, then dry it with lint free paper towels or cloth towels with no fabric softner used on them (fabric softener has oil in it), then you use the wax and grease remover right before painting, personally I use straight alcohol.... then you paint it
Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Some progress on the booth. Not complete but you'll get the idea. I started taping the plastic sheeting around the top of the canopy with duct tape. Not holding well so I'm going to take it to the inside of the canopy and attach it to the frame of the gazebo.

Just moved the light from above my workbench into the gazebo. Not enough light but its all I've got. Not buying another for this.

Bought a couple cheapy fans at Wally World. Plan is to tape off the plastic to seal to the window for exhaust... with a filter in the window. The two fans somewhere on the floor with filters on them. Probably won't be enough air flow and I'll be in a fog.

Now if the weather co-operates. I should at least get it in primer today.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's good to see someone attempt this. It seems you've done a lot of research, good luck and post pics.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SBTork
it's good to see someone attempt this. It seems you've done a lot of research, good luck and post pics.
To be honest its turned into a a bigger project than I expected. No turning back now. I've been planning it for a long while. Hardest part being doing it in the garage. Wish I had a buddy with a paint shop. It would make it so much easier!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Well it works. The little fans puff it up and move more air than I thought. Not pretty but hey. Really needs solid frame door. I'll almost need someone to seal me up once I get in there. It's also going to be a pain to get the hod back out for block sanding after its in primer. Another thing is I wanted to vent the fumes outside to keep the stink overspray out of the garage. Maybe on a perfectly calm day but the window I was going to vent out of faces the wind. I'm not going to force the air that way. I'm going to put another escape toward the garage door and hope for the best.

Plenty of room inside to move around the hood.

Taking a break and heading to town in search of a longer sanding block and some specialty guide coat.

Quick Reply: Getting closer to painting the hood