SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting closer to painting the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks awesome dude, im very much enjoying this thread.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking good! You might try hanging the hood vertical with the hood contours parrellel to the ground, it is much easier to spray IMO... When you start block sanding tomorrow try not to burn threw to the sealer primer... IMO you will probably need to do at least 1 maybe 2 more coats of primer before final paint, to get all the wave out of the panel..
Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Holty
looks awesome dude, im very much enjoying this thread.
Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it. I am too. Freaking tired!

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Looking good! You might try hanging the hood vertical with the hood contours parrellel to the ground, it is much easier to spray IMO... When you start block sanding tomorrow try not to burn threw to the sealer primer... IMO you will probably need to do at least 1 maybe 2 more coats of primer before final paint, to get all the wave out of the panel..
No way I can hang it vertical. I thought about that when I was trying to reach the center of this thing. I'm worried about the block sanding. I couldn't find any guide coat and I don't have any more of this primer. I've read that a mist of spray can primer can be used but that worries me. I used all of my primer today (quart). I made a mistake and put it all in the gun and had it left over. Could I have dumped back in the can and used it again? Should I risk another brand primer if I need to touch it again after block sanding?
Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

the primer would have just gotten hard in the can. (i assumed you were using a hardner in the primer) you should be ok with a comparible brand of primer to go back over it if you need to. i wouldnt buy any cheap stuff to do a final coat. with the blocking you can just use some plain black spray paint. i just block the primer them wipe it with some wax and grease remover to see if there are any waves.

Last edited by onebad03; 07-05-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by onebad03
the primer would have just gotten hard in the can. (i assumed you were using a hardner in the primer) you should be ok with a comparible brand of primer to go back over it if you need to. i wouldnt buy any cheap stuff to do a final coat. with the blocking you can just use some plain black spray paint. i just block the primer them wipe it with some wax and grease remover to see if there are any waves.
Thanks for the tips. Looks like first order tomorrow is the store again for another quart of primer. I remember reading about the wax and grease remover to look for waves. I'd forgotten about it. That sounds like the ticket.

As I go along I am still reading on things. Newbie mistake I've made so far. I didn't uncap the vent on top of the cup. They also recommend removing the little filter thingie in the bottom of the cup.

Recommends on tip sizes for base coat? I've got 1.3 - 1.5 and 1.8. Thinking 1.5. How about the clear coat? I'll read through the tech sheets again but don't remember them saying anything about tip sizes. The primer tech recommended 2.0.

Edit: More research and looks like the 1.3 tip for base and clear.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by KySilverado
No way I can hang it vertical. I thought about that when I was trying to reach the center of this thing. I'm worried about the block sanding. I couldn't find any guide coat and I don't have any more of this primer. I've read that a mist of spray can primer can be used but that worries me. I used all of my primer today (quart). I made a mistake and put it all in the gun and had it left over. Could I have dumped back in the can and used it again? Should I risk another brand primer if I need to touch it again after block sanding?
For a guide coat just go get some cheap black spray paint. Mist VERY very lightly, so it looks like over spray, basically just speckled... That is what I do...

What I like to do with left over primer/paint that I am going to respray again is put in a clean jar, then put it in the fridge... Curing paint is actually a chemical reaction, by putting the paint in the fridge you are slowing down the chemical reaction, allowing you to use it again later...

What I do to check for waves is just wet the panel down with water completely and it will resemble a gloss finish...
Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just another thing to mention while I'm at it. Maybe somebody will read this thread for reference on their own jobs. I bought a 3m charcoal type respirator. While spraying the sealer even with the mask on it was rough. Could really smell it and couldn't wait to get out to some fresh air. With the primer I happened to find the little adjustment straps and tightened them really well. Didn't smell a thing. Got out of the booth and took off the mask and was like whoa.... that's some strong fuming going on. So moral is tighten that mask up.

I wear glasses so I also bought some nice form fitting goggles. Couldn't use them though. Fogged up and I couldn't see.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Resident Retard

Another thing I thought I might mention cause it happened to me. Since your painting in your garage, make sure you don't have any cars parked in the driveway... I painted a car in my garage a few years ago, with my mustang sitting in the driveway, well afterwards I noticed that I got overspray ALL OVER IT!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Another thing I thought I might mention cause it happened to me. Since your painting in your garage, make sure you don't have any cars parked in the driveway... I painted a car in my garage a few years ago, with my mustang sitting in the driveway, well afterwards I noticed that I got overspray ALL OVER IT!!!
Yeah I'm amazed at the overspray! I'm gonna have to spray the sides of the booth down with a bit of water before I feel safe spraying the base color. Just painting what I have the filters I had on the fans were coated. Already replaced them. I was like WOW that stuff gets around.

I do have the Tercel in the driveway. No worries about getting anything on that thing! I'll park the truck further away tomorrow. I didn't see anything on it.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

it sounds like youve got the right information and done some good research so you should be well on your way to a good looking hood. what are your plans for buffing?

Quick Reply: Getting closer to painting the hood