Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting closer to painting the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting closer to painting the hood

Aside from some spray can painting a few plastic pieces I've never really painted anything.

Plan is to paint my hood this weekend if everything goes well. Gotta sand it down to the metal and start over. Body shop painted it about a year ago. It's bubbling up everywhere.

Gonna fab a spray booth in the booth out of the pop up awning. Wrap it in plastic a couple of window fans and furnace filters for venting.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, i'm as interested in how you are going to make the booth as the paint job on the hood. If it comes out as nicely as the caps you will be stylin'
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stand the gazebo up in the garage. A tarp under it. One side next to the wall with a window for the exhaust. 2 fans somewhere on the floor the air movement. Wrap and duct tape plastic to the sides around the fan and window to make a booth. Thats the plan anyway Presto! a 10 X 10 paint booth.

Pictures to come..... well if it works.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a cool set up, I'm looking forward to pics of both the booth and the hood
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing..
Old 07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditch that prep all, and buy some quality wax and grease remover IMO. PPG or Dupont. I used that stuff in the past and it took primer off. What are you using for paint? Do plenty of research, there is a helluva alot of work that goes into paint work if you are not setup for it, **** gets exspensive fast and is time consuming if your paint and or primer doesn't lay down right the first time....
Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome! Should be a fun project!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Sounds like a cool set up, I'm looking forward to pics of both the booth and the hood
Notice my disclaimer. Pictures if it works. I'm more doing the booth to keep overspray off stuff in the garage. I think the garage is darn near clean enough that I could keep stuff out of the paint.

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
Ditch that prep all, and buy some quality wax and grease remover IMO. PPG or Dupont. I used that stuff in the past and it took primer off. What are you using for paint? Do plenty of research, there is a helluva alot of work that goes into paint work if you are not setup for it, **** gets exspensive fast and is time consuming if your paint and or primer doesn't lay down right the first time....
Prep All no good? I'll find some PPG or Dupont. I'm using paint, CC and primer from an online source. Ready to spray. It worked well on other parts from a spray can. I've done tons of research. May screw it up but I'll get it right eventually and yeah you are right it may cost me lots of time and money but I'll be learning.

Just to get where I'm at I'm already over a grand in equipment to prepare to paint. Upgrade compressor, paint guns, mask, filters etc...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Took about 20 minutes to throw up the gazebo. 80 bucks at wally world. I should be able to hang a couple 4ft fluorescent lights from the framing inside it. The legs are flimsy but shouldn't matter. Hang plastic from the tarp around the sides. I have a couple saw horses to put the hood on. Use the window on the side to vent. Anyway still thinking this will work. Of course the truck will be outside

Last edited by KySilverado; 07-02-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately gonna be a cool project. If your booth idea works, I may be copying you...lol
Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

What are you doing with the hood, Paint wise? Same color? Different?

Quick Reply: Getting closer to painting the hood