Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

SVT Lightning kill

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GodBuiltMy5oh
Doesn't matter what bolt on trucks you pick. You won't see 60+ gain to the wheels. I stand by what I said. We don't have to agree.

I can get rid of my trucks full exhaust, put back on stock headers and cats, put the shifter in 4th to spin the dynos rollers and it won't lose 60hp.

And let's just say it did or they do. It doesn't make a difference in the fact that OP posted he killed a lightning. It's gonna be ok! It doesnt matter what mods OP's victim had.

Who said it did matter? You got involved in a side conversation that simply didn't concern yourself. Now you are comparing your truck to what? And based on your opinion as you stated, that's fine. I simply said what can be found with simple searching. Over exaggerated as whp yes but hp as I listed it no. For the sake of arguing, you can go on and on for days if you'd like, point is is that the gains are quite large compared to most singular mods.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jake99
Seen a guy with stock exhaust go to a full exhaust on a lighting at are local track, its race gas 15psi kennebell and he picked up a tenth. wow he was upset. however he did use a set of aftermarket shortys instead of long tubes. Being a chevy guy i will say these trucks can run good they just need someone who knows what they are doing with them, iv spanked lightnings with out the roof mods with my little 5.3 and a little nitrous but its normaly an owner problem not a truck problem. O and c9a1l1l I like your little "Bottles are for babys", but why are you the one crying?? lol, no offence I just had to say it.

Shorties are a waste of time and money with minimal gains that don't even make them worth the hassle of installing.. He should have been upset for making such a poor investment kinda like running a KB in the first place..

As a Chevy guy myself that has been on both sides of the fence It only takes someone with common sense to pick through the kill stories that are posted. And no this isn't directed at the OP because I believe the OP whole heartily regardless of the specifics, what happened happened.

My comments about bottles being for babies is because you will never hear someone with more excuses than a guy running on bottle. "Oh man if I was spraying..." "Damn, you're lucky I didn't fill my bottles up.." "Nah man I only lost cause my bottle heater isn't working..." Well if you took the time to build a decent vehicle using a power adder that takes some sort of proficiency to build, tune and operate beyond that of a middle class UTI graduate then you wouldn't need to worry about your spray...

And that's directed at any one either. I've just never been a fan of using nitrous as a primary power adder. I use nitrous to spool my S475 turbo in my DSM and I have played around with small shots before I just laugh my *** off at **** with big nitrous shots that run around with their chest puffed up because they managed to build a loose enough motor that can take being squeezed on a regular basis as a short cut to hard work.

But alas, winning is winning and power is power. Other than my ex gfs pops I have a bunch of Fox body buddies and I come from the muscle car group so naturally no one juices more than these guys and I have in the past but even so it was a short cut for my goals.

With that being said.. Bottles are still for babies...

UMAD?

Are there faster Chevys trucks out there? I am sure of it and know people personally. My old 65 C-10 is faster than my Lightning at the same time you'll run into 10 faster Lightnings than you before I run into 1 faster Chevy and that is an understatement and our trucks probably run similar times with you on your big shot. Its just the luck of the draw. I don't view trucks as a means for racing, just fun toys. I'll leave the going fast to the cars. Hell I'm down grading the L so I have some better towing reliability. I'm past the point where I realize that trucks in general aren't fast and take far to much to get them there lol.

Last edited by C9A1L1L; 08-02-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

So just because nitrous is a less expensive power adder, it makes anyone who uses it a baby? WOW, that really makes you, well not as smart as you sounded in the first 3 pages of this thread I was actually thinking you were a smart guy with a lot of experience, on all kinds of makes, but the N2O is for babies argument is just plain dumb. But, I do agree with just about everything else you said

We both know that N2O gives you extra power for your displacement/engine setup, with added FUEL. Now, boost, whether it be supercharger or turbo, gives you extra power for your displacement/engine setup, with added AIR. On ANY engine setup, what are the two things needed to make ANY horsepower? FUEL and AIR.

Now I know that we both knew that, but I'm just saying, if adding more fuel to your engine setup makes you a loser, well then so should adding more air. Just because it costs less, doesn't make it an un-respectable power adder.

So basicly, all I heard you say was "if your not spending a bunch of money on your engine setup, then its not worthy of my respect."
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nitrous provides oxygen in higher concentrations than atmospheric air. It is not a fuel.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1FREEK
So just because nitrous is a less expensive power adder, it makes anyone who uses it a baby? WOW, that really makes you, well not as smart as you sounded in the first 3 pages of this thread I was actually thinking you were a smart guy with a lot of experience, on all kinds of makes, but the N2O is for babies argument is just plain dumb. But, I do agree with just about everything else you said

We both know that N2O gives you extra power for your displacement/engine setup, with added FUEL. Now, boost, whether it be supercharger or turbo, gives you extra power for your displacement/engine setup, with added AIR. On ANY engine setup, what are the two things needed to make ANY horsepower? FUEL and AIR.

Now I know that we both knew that, but I'm just saying, if adding more fuel to your engine setup makes you a loser, well then so should adding more air. Just because it costs less, doesn't make it an un-respectable power adder.

So basicly, all I heard you say was "if your not spending a bunch of money on your engine setup, then its not worthy of my respect."

Did you even read my post as to my reasons... Maybe they went way over your head.

I've used nitrous and still do. It has never and will never be a primary power adder for me any more because yes, I felt it was cheap. Not necessarily financially cheap because it all adds up over time, just a cop-out. I'm sorry but I used at back then because I didn't want to deal with researching and piecing together a turbo or S/C setup. I wanted easy cheap and big power NOW. Mind you the vehicles that have had them were single digit even with out it.

Nitrous is a marvelous thing and it gets the job done but just as if you couldn't tell, I like trash talkin and havin' fun and relying on nitrous takes the edge out of it. People never looked stupider than when they are walkin around with their nitrous bottles in their hand barkin for races. I don't care who agrees with me. I don't and never will hold the same respect for a builder or a car that is fully built and thought out with an F/I system or even more badass fully N/A vs some chump with a 12s or whatever else slow *** vehicle that thinks he's a big boy because kiss the lucky stars his motor can old a 150-250 shot... Small shots are whatever.. but these guys on big *** shots yappin their mouth about how tough they are.. pffft. And this also doesn't apply to the guys who already have fast 10s vehicles off bottle since they obviously already put in a lot of time, work and research into piecing something respectable together in the first place.. I dunno, I have always lived by the moto work smarter not harder yet I still don't prefer the easy way out and thats what nitrous is for. Anyone who says other wise is lying their asses off.

If I ever decide to build the L's block I might just build it loose enough to handle having a second power adder just to fk with people.. "Oh you're running nitrous? Me too.." then watch the excuses fly

I don't really know why you'd feel the need to argue with me about it, its just my opinion and it'll never change. We are all entitled to it and you haven't seen me callin' people out tellin em they aint sh*t just because they are relying heavily on nitrous to make their slow vehicles fast. That's not my style nor my concern. As with me having my opinion on the matter, they as equal humans have the right to have their say as well. mind you I still wont give a flying fk, but its a common courtesy.. No different than guys who are N/A and think ANY power adder is lame. I just think nitrous is too easy borderline lame.. anyone can do it type of Lincoln logs ages 3 and up status... No reason to be offended if you run it cause like I said, I have too and still do to a different degree now however. All is well.

and yes I still know my sh*t.

Last edited by C9A1L1L; 08-02-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60hp to the wheels is possible with a 6# lower, CAI, Longtubes and a good tune, but not longtubes only. Been there done that aint happening.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C9A1L1L
Did you even read my post as to my reasons... Maybe they went way over your head.

I've used nitrous and still do. It has never and will never be a primary power adder for me any more because yes, I felt it was cheap. Not necessarily financially cheap because it all adds up over time, just a cop-out. I'm sorry but I used at back then because I didn't want to deal with researching and piecing together a turbo or S/C setup. I wanted easy cheap and big power NOW. Mind you the vehicles that have had them were single digit even with out it.

Nitrous is a marvelous thing and it gets the job done but just as if you couldn't tell, I like trash talkin and havin' fun and relying on nitrous takes the edge out of it. People never looked stupider than when they are walkin around with their nitrous bottles in their hand barkin for races. I don't care who agrees with me. I don't and never will hold the same respect for a builder or a car that is fully built and thought out with an F/I system or even more badass fully N/A vs some chump with a 12s or whatever else slow *** vehicle that thinks he's a big boy because kiss the lucky stars his motor can old a 150-250 shot... Small shots are whatever.. but these guys on big *** shots yappin their mouth about how tough they are.. pffft. And this also doesn't apply to the guys who already have fast 10s vehicles off bottle since they obviously already put in a lot of time, work and research into piecing something respectable together in the first place.. I dunno, I have always lived by the moto work smarter not harder yet I still don't prefer the easy way out and thats what nitrous is for. Anyone who says other wise is lying their asses off.

If I ever decide to build the L's block I might just build it loose enough to handle having a second power adder just to fk with people.. "Oh you're running nitrous? Me too.." then watch the excuses fly

I don't really know why you'd feel the need to argue with me about it, its just my opinion and it'll never change. We are all entitled to it and you haven't seen me callin' people out tellin em they aint sh*t just because they are relying heavily on nitrous to make their slow vehicles fast. That's not my style nor my concern. As with me having my opinion on the matter, they as equal humans have the right to have their say as well. mind you I still wont give a flying fk, but its a common courtesy.. No different than guys who are N/A and think ANY power adder is lame. I just think nitrous is too easy borderline lame.. anyone can do it type of Lincoln logs ages 3 and up status... No reason to be offended if you run it cause like I said, I have too and still do to a different degree now however. All is well.

and yes I still know my sh*t.
Ok, I guess I see where you're coming from, but around here, I only know of 4 people who use nitrous, and they're all heads, cam, intake or bigger setups, so yeah fast already. 2 trucks running low 12's (one is a 1996 Ford Supercab! Sleeper from the dark side 408 stroker! LOL) and 2 cars running high 11's. I guess we just dont have the problem of mostly stock vehicles running N2o out here, It's just I plan on using it in my car, possibly a 100-150 shot just for fun, and yeah, no one deserves more credit than the guy that hauls *** NA, I just got me a Yank ss3600 stall ordered, so my car should be running 11's NA all day now, put some go go juice on it and it will be fun! I'll then love to do them roll races that all the local Cobras always wanna do
Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tiffo60
60hp to the wheels is possible with a 6# lower, CAI, Longtubes and a good tune, but not longtubes only. Been there done that aint happening.
You need to fire your tuner.

You can pick up that much power with just switching to a 6lb lower on a tune..

The mods you listed will net damn near 100whp easily and produce a mid 12s truck all day long.

I was over over throwing the amount but I was referring to full exhaust. Its not far off. Arguing with me over a few HP is honestly pointless and doesn't change my point that it is a big power adder alone in comparison. What other boltons besides a pulley would net that kind of gains potential?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1FREEK
Ok, I guess I see where you're coming from, but around here, I only know of 4 people who use nitrous, and they're all heads, cam, intake or bigger setups, so yeah fast already. 2 trucks running low 12's (one is a 1996 Ford Supercab! Sleeper from the dark side 408 stroker! LOL) and 2 cars running high 11's. I guess we just dont have the problem of mostly stock vehicles running N2o out here, It's just I plan on using it in my car, possibly a 100-150 shot just for fun, and yeah, no one deserves more credit than the guy that hauls *** NA, I just got me a Yank ss3600 stall ordered, so my car should be running 11's NA all day now, put some go go juice on it and it will be fun! I'll then love to do them roll races that all the local Cobras always wanna do

I love pickin on Cobras in my DSM, they are beastly and much pros to em. With that aside your build sounds ridiculous and thats the kind of vehicle I'd give props regardless of spray because its sh*ttin even without it. Out this way in the street racing scene it isn't all too uncommon to find guys abusin the bottle like a AA rehab drop out. Guess its one of the main things that gave me a sour outlook on the situation. As I mentioned, I was there, yeah I did it to, never made a big deal or bragged about it cause there's nothin to be proud about. Its like beatin the big boss of a with a game genie...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

You won't pick up 60hp on a bolt on lightning by putting full exhaust.

And no, he needs tires and other things to run mid 12's. Not everyones Lightning runs it's best. There's stock pulley trucks in the mid 12's and pulleyed trucks that can't get into the 12's. But I'm preaching to the choir....

Quick Reply: SVT Lightning kill