Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

another lighting kill

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little butt hurt, homie'? You're hilarious. When I suggest an 80E, I'm not "shitting" on this guy's thread. 60E's are pieces of ****. Period. I've owned three, built them, been through them, and know my fair share about them. You act like such a badass, with the "you don't know me" line, when NO ONE is giving two ***** about what you say. Too typical. I assure you that I'm not hyped up over your sorry ***, money-draining suggestion of a 60E. When the guy says, "My goal is 400-450 h.p.", then turns around and says, "I'd rather just do it right the first time...", you don't suggest he build a 60E. Plain, obvious, common sense.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CC05
A little butt hurt, homie'? You're hilarious. When I suggest an 80E, I'm not "shitting" on this guy's thread. 60E's are pieces of ****. Period. I've owned three, built them, been through them, and know my fair share about them. You act like such a badass, with the "you don't know me" line, when NO ONE is giving two ***** about what you say. Too typical. I assure you that I'm not hyped up over your sorry ***, money-draining suggestion of a 60E. When the guy says, "My goal is 400-450 h.p.", then turns around and says, "I'd rather just do it right the first time...", you don't suggest he build a 60E. Plain, obvious, common sense.
Calling me butt hurt make you feel better? Keep trying to act the cool head. Whatever guy.

Just because you can't build a transmission worth a **** doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Funny how my truck puts down 400 rwhp, through a 4l60e. Has been daily driven in stop and go traffic and run hard several times. Yet, according to you, it can't handle it.

Seems like you give more than two ***** about what I post up here. Deny it all you want, you've got some kind of angry overtone in your last few posts. Let me assure you I give a **** either way. Good entertainment for me until my relief gets here. The beginning of the **** talk didn't come from me.

All I put up in this thread was my opinion backed up by some common facts and my experience. Get sad, mad, and/or glad if you do or don't like it.

Op,

Do a little research on this site. Or listen to this expert.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Sweetcheeks, I'm not upset and I'm not interested in your entertainment, relief, and other various bullshit. Don't flatter yourself with such a heavily-heated, intense, e-pissing match. Phewww--don't make me sweat over here. Doing a little research is GREAT advice. See the vast amount of guys running 80E's, and learn from that. Only one of my 60E's was built by me--it's still in my truck, still going. My truck also weighs 3230 lbs., so the fact that it is holding up doesn't speak much for the OP. So, speaking on assumption that I can't build a 60E, is the same **** you were bitching about in the classic "you don't know me" speech. No matter what you say about ratios affecting daily driving, how an 80E will kill a mild-5.3, etc., an 80E is going to be a safe, reliable bet for when that truck is bottle fed. The bottom line is this... If the guy is planning on hitting his 5.3, daily-driven/big *** cam/whatever it may be, with a large(r) shot, then an 80E with a transgo will hold up better than damn near any 60E that he'd eventually have to replace at some point in time. Anyone who is a self-proclaimed "expert", is quite the tool. Get the right guy in on this thread, who has listened to one too many "experts", who has blown a few "built" 60E's to pieces, and I'm positive that he'll back me on this.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CC05
Sweetcheeks, I'm not upset and I'm not interested in your entertainment, relief, and other various bullshit. Don't flatter yourself with such a heavily-heated, intense, e-pissing match. Phewww--don't make me sweat over here. Doing a little research is GREAT advice. See the vast amount of guys running 80E's, and learn from that. Only one of my 60E's was built by me--it's still in my truck, still going. My truck also weighs 3230 lbs., so the fact that it is holding up doesn't speak much for the OP. So, speaking on assumption that I can't build a 60E, is the same **** you were bitching about in the classic "you don't know me" speech. No matter what you say about ratios affecting daily driving, how an 80E will kill a mild-5.3, etc., an 80E is going to be a safe, reliable bet for when that truck is bottle fed. The bottom line is this... If the guy is planning on hitting his 5.3, daily-driven/big *** cam/whatever it may be, with a large(r) shot, then an 80E with a transgo will hold up better than damn near any 60E that he'd eventually have to replace at some point in time. Anyone who is a self-proclaimed "expert", is quite the tool. Get the right guy in on this thread, who has listened to one too many "experts", who has blown a few "built" 60E's to pieces, and I'm positive that he'll back me on this.
Stopped at sweetcheeks....

have a nice night
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Alright guys, i intended for my thread to be a discussion not a cat fight. I am not ruling out either transmission at this point.

Okay first, i want to be realistic on my goals. The most this transmission will ever see is around 600 rwhp. That would be with a cammed, sprayed, iron block ls2. IF, i deceide to 6.0 down the road. I figure 450 ish will suffice fine for me.

A 60 has better gear ratios, enough said. But, an 80 has reliability. Probably because of the shorter splits between gears. Im sure the shorter split is easier on hard parts as well as clutches, which probably helps with reliablility.

Basically, i understand each argument. What is needed to make a 60 stand up to this power level and also what is needed to make an 80 stand up to this power level?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest a 80E in any boosted or bottle feed truck.
Im running a Performabuilt level 3 4L65E and it is holding up to my 5300# 425hp truck without and issue so far.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you goal is 500+ defiantly go with a 80e , dont waste your pennies on a 60 .
Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a flt 65e for a couple years. It was always in my head that it could shatter any time while I was at wot. I ended up swapping in an flt 80e, and selling the 65e. I never worry about it at all now. Even if something does go wrong, chances are it will be clutches and I will be able to limp home. Before if it broke it probably wouldn't move because of broken internals.

Oh yea, and good kill.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

An 80E with a shift kit will hold up to that power. Not really anything else required, unless you just want to beef it up, etc.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
Basically, i understand each argument. What is needed to make a 60 stand up to this power level and also what is needed to make an 80 stand up to this power level?
I don't have the build reciept right now. Off the top of my head I can remember that my 60e has a beast sunshell, wider drum band, 1-2 3-4 billet servos, zpack clutches, and a shift kit. I added a factory cooler also. My builder told me, and I've heard/read other places that heat and a hard 1-2 shift on a 60 is usually the catalyst for carnage.

Id also look at what transmission the tbss guys and sss guys are running along with what mods. Those are much heavier than a rcsb truck.

I would also disregard the opinion of people who exercise the definition of insanity. Those guys who repeatedly go back to the same builder, keep paying for basically the same work, and expecting a different outcome.

I have a friend with a '02 ss, putting down ~850 rwhp with a 370 and a f1a. He is running a 4l80e built to handle it and hasn't had a problem. I've seen a build on here where a stock 4l80e was getting power to the ground in a 9 sec truck. I've also seen a build on here where a heads/mild cam 6.0 blew up a 4l80e.

Quick Reply: another lighting kill