PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project 1999 OBS GMC / whipple lq4 / FLT 4l65

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is what the blower did inside the hood

its the nut on top that did it

Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is that like an oil plug? is there a way to maybe change it or grind it a lil flatter and paint it black. in all honesty take the molding off, black the bumpers and grille and itd look Nioce.
i like how you painted the engine cover red(or a type of red) it makes it really stand out!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

thanks man i will do some body paint stuff but not yet we will see how it goes. the engine cover and dash is a duplicolor metalflake red, looks very sweet in person

Originally Posted by mgrotel
wonder if you could take that nut of, cut some threads off, then put a smaller nut on?

and why am i scared to ask what the final build cost is?
im going to go looking for a smaller bolt tomorrow

final costs got pretty high but still a lot cheaper than if i bought a used SS and had all the same mods

Originally Posted by Tiki
om nom nom! 6.0 + obs =
total sleeper even i think it just looks like a haggard old truck

Originally Posted by Juan!
looks good tharfington :thumbsup: all it needs now are some wheels and
yeah i agree i want to get some black 20s but i cant really spend that kind of money yet and it also looks like this thing is going to EAT tires so it might be sooner than expected lol

Originally Posted by 96z-71
:boner:

got the trans figured out?
yup, working good.

the thing is with the open headers and no tach or speedo im having a really hard time telling if everything is working properly. im not used to driving a stall converter so every time i hit the gas it feels like its broken/slipping but then it hooks and then youre moving quick but it sounds like you're going 90000 rpm but then you look out the window and you're doing 20 mph but ive been getting some time on it and i really think that once the exhaust is on i will have a much better feel for everything.

i tried splicing the speed sensor to both the old computer and the new computer and the speedo was not reading on the dash and the engine computer wasnt shifting properly. i have been looking for the wire which will operate the tach but have had no luck yet. i have a 4k pulse output for speedo on the new ecm but do not know if that can input to the obs dash. the fuel level still reads full and a half. the factory oil pressure on the 6.0 clipped right in to the obs connector and reads fine on the dash. the water temp relocator worked fine and its been running very cold im pretty sure it has a 160* tstat.

the hood needs to be shimmed and the interior needs to have all the wiring buttoned up.

but i drove it to the movies tonight. seemed like an accomplishment, taking a pile of parts and a broken old truck and turning it into something that drives nice and is 100% mine.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool build up, did you fix the tranny issues?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

thanks man the tranny is running great now all thats left is exhaust and a good tune on the rollers
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thArf
thanks man i will do some body paint stuff but not yet we will see how it goes. the engine cover and dash is a duplicolor metalflake red, looks very sweet in person

im going to go looking for a smaller bolt tomorrow

final costs got pretty high but still a lot cheaper than if i bought a used SS and had all the same mods

total sleeper even i think it just looks like a haggard old truck

yeah i agree i want to get some black 20s but i cant really spend that kind of money yet and it also looks like this thing is going to EAT tires so it might be sooner than expected lol

yup, working good.

the thing is with the open headers and no tach or speedo im having a really hard time telling if everything is working properly. im not used to driving a stall converter so every time i hit the gas it feels like its broken/slipping but then it hooks and then youre moving quick but it sounds like you're going 90000 rpm but then you look out the window and you're doing 20 mph but ive been getting some time on it and i really think that once the exhaust is on i will have a much better feel for everything.

i tried splicing the speed sensor to both the old computer and the new computer and the speedo was not reading on the dash and the engine computer wasnt shifting properly. i have been looking for the wire which will operate the tach but have had no luck yet. i have a 4k pulse output for speedo on the new ecm but do not know if that can input to the obs dash. the fuel level still reads full and a half. the factory oil pressure on the 6.0 clipped right in to the obs connector and reads fine on the dash. the water temp relocator worked fine and its been running very cold im pretty sure it has a 160* tstat.

the hood needs to be shimmed and the interior needs to have all the wiring buttoned up.

but i drove it to the movies tonight. seemed like an accomplishment, taking a pile of parts and a broken old truck and turning it into something that drives nice and is 100% mine.

Lol @ all those quotes being from your GMFS thread.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sick!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

so i fiddled with the hood and finally got the lines to look right and sit right over the blower. then painted the wheels and took off the mudflaps and gmc emblems. then took it to the local car show and got a rear window logo.

Originally Posted by wild_chld1
looks good,i have a question with the supercharger touching the hood.what kind of hood did u use,goodmark,reflection,would u be able to mount the engine lower in the frame for more clearance,interested because thats my next project for my 99 obs ecsb 2wd.
a body lift would totally fix the problem i just spaced up the hood, it is a reflexxions wide cowl so a regular cowl will have a dent in the middle of the hood.

Originally Posted by mgrotel
slam that **** man!
i want to lower it but i will save up to do it properly

Originally Posted by ShredSled
Congrats man, very nice work!!! You should be proud, much respect.

That trucks gotta be a blast, like you said, complete sleeper.
Actually to me it looks just like a plain old OBS that some kid only had a few bucks left over after paying rent to spend on some cheap bolt on ebay parts and that's all... not at all like someone who went through a complete blown GenIII/FLT/etc. swap!

I highly dislike the painted dash panels though... just had to get that out of my system there, haha.
thanks man i agree it looks like something the grocery bagger would drive lol

the red dash is cool in person! i promise!

Originally Posted by mccustomize
sounds sick, can't wait to see it once you really get everything buttoned up, it needs some widened rally wheels with factory rings and caps would be pretty fitting
i agree thanks man

Originally Posted by Manbearpig
How do you have your halos hooked up?

Mine came on with the parking lights
not hooked up yet but the pic you have looks cool

Originally Posted by MaXXis85
Good job Tharf. I have been watching this swap and the work you put into it is great. Kudos to you!!
thanks man lets get some boggers on it and see you in the bayou

Originally Posted by Anthony
ditch the ss emblem
no way

Originally Posted by chevyrado14
well he is calling it a ricer :crazy:
exactly

pics for today

sweet

Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Launching!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

how do u get the gauge cluster to work with the new setup?

Quick Reply: Project 1999 OBS GMC / whipple lq4 / FLT 4l65