PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Prerunner Tahoe undergoing built LQ4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty much what I have minus rear flares. Because door jambs.

Extended a arms or I beams allowing for longer up and down travel of the front suspension and mods in the rear to do the same.

I wanted to be different and did an suv. Same basic principles. 4.5 over on both sides, through frame fox 2.0 coil overs... it's all in the build thread.

It's basically a truck you can take offroad at 75 where most trucks do 20. Once my prerunner bumper is fabbed and installed it will look alot like that just OBS and no lift off one piece front end.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

In order to fit the wider stance I've got hannaman 3 up 4 out fiberglass fenders, full chromoly steering linkages, custom uniballed lift spindles, him joints to replace shitty stock tie rod ends...

I'm going with more aggressive Glassworks fenders or a pin on one piece soon also. I still can't flare the rear but it is what it is. It's not worth it to me to pie cut and weld sections on the rear wheel wells to get a flare when it's really not needed.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Name:  IMG_20120810_201048.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  62.4 KB

Bit better shot of the prerunner fenders here. It just doesn't look as rugged with the 90 gmc bumper. Soon to be replaced by a custom fabbed pair front and rear. 50" radius light bar up top, and a prerunner roof rack (gas cans spare tires, hi lift jack and all that jazz.)

Last edited by the baPhoon; 01-25-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

okay... from the earlier pics in here, it just looked like another Tahoe with a fancy lift.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, that's why I'm switching to glass worx fenders. These look stock from all angles but front lol. The glass worx have a bit more of an aggressive rise too them and more wheel well opening, so from the side you KNOW it's a prerunner. These will be for sale soon along with my entire front suspension setup. Going big. 5.5 or 6 over offset I beams from AZDirtworx. As it sits my uniballs and hiems are larger and stronger than that used on pro4 and pro2 trucks. Since It weighs so much more I didn't want to take any chances.

Last edited by the baPhoon; 01-26-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the baPhoon
Yeah, that's why I'm switching to glass worx fenders. These look stock from all angles but front lol. The glass worx have a bit more of an aggressive rise too them and more wheel well opening, so from the side you KNOW it's a prerunner. These will be for sale soon along with my entire front suspension setup. Going big. 5.5 or 6 over offset I beams from AZDirtworx. As it sits my uniballs and hiems are larger and stronger than that used on pro4 and pro2 trucks. Since It weighs so much more I didn't want to take any chances.
ill be interested when you decide to sell you set up you have now. how much travel do have in front?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Prerunnin93
ill be interested when you decide to sell you set up you have now. how much travel do have in front?

Not enough lol
Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Not enough lol
haha very true. the set up i wanna run will cycle 17ish in the front. i want the Mullen Fabworks DD kit. you guys have probably come across it. that guy does ******* awesome works. run King 10" coilovers with remote reservior. king 2.5 bump stops, and then the fabtech 4" lift spindles until i throw down for the camburg ones that are alot heavier.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Camburg is definitely going on my next runner. Mean eye 4x4 for sure.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

And not enough? I beg of you find me a kit. ANY LT kit for an OBS tahoe. And fenders. I've got so much torch mill and grinder work to get this kit to fit my tahoe it's ridiculous. The geometry on the front end of an OBS tahoe is so bad this is the best we could do with tubular a arms. Next setup for this truck as I said is a custom built offset Ford I beam setup for a bit more travel. The real wall I'm hitting is the truck itself. I can only go so far travel wise in the back so it makes no sense to have 20"s of travel up front when I can't do anything in the rear. Remember this is an SUV not a truck where I can narrow the rear and toss on flared bed sides. Noone even makes fenders, so I bought silvy hannaman fenders and cut to fit.

The older these trucks get the less aftermarket support we get for things like LT arms and the like.

My truck has in 2wd has gotten me through some real rough stuff. Butcher jones, Kofas... nasty az trails.

You get a bit more travel out of this setup on a silvy, which is what it was made for. We just so happened to make it fit. A tahoe.i know of one, maybe 2 other long traveled OBS tahoes and they're nowhere near as clean as my setup. And I'm one of one who's ran my fox coil overs through the frame to custom shock hoops. Custom traction bars as well.

This build was far from bolt on.

Quick Reply: Prerunner Tahoe undergoing built LQ4 swap