PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Prerunner Tahoe undergoing built LQ4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prerunner Tahoe undergoing built LQ4 swap

Gona try this one more time. Most of this will be copied and pasted from my new guy thread, but the build updates will happen here rather than there, like it should.

1997 Prerunner Tahoe (Deva- named after my mom because shes high maintenance, and loves expensive things. RIP mom)

She is currently undergoing a built LQ4 swap, slight head work, stock truck intake manifold (i tow occasionally and the extra tq is nice) Ported 90mm throttle body, custom shorty headers to 3" collectors, into a 3" y, into a gutted cat followed by a magnaflow muffler with a turndown just before the axle, or i may do true duals with the turn down in the same location. Melling oil pump, custom CAI, unlocked ECU, hand built wiring harness, LS6 cam, springs and pushrods.... I know im forgetting alot. It all connects to a Built 4l65e. Tuning for the 6L will be done on the dyno followed by a street fine tuning.

For suspension its heimed and uniballed. 4 over arms, moly steering linkages, 3 inch lift spindles, Fox 2.0 coil overs ran through the frame, AGR super box 2 and super pump (to rid myself of that ridiculous speed sensitive steering) custom traction bars and leafs with blocks out back which I'm changing soon. Hannaman 3 up 4 out glass fenders, rolling on 35 12.5 17s. 4.56 rear gears.

I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of little stuff. After the 6.0 is in im changing up the rear suspension setup. Deavers and coil overs to match the front.

I may do a 5 over I-beam setup soon and sell off the A-arm stuff, but we will see how well my new business pays.

Here's pics.

This was completely by accident, but shows how well a Tahoe with the right suspension can articulate:

Artsy shot during a monsoon done by my brother:

The heart of the operation:

P&P job done on the TB

Got exhaust?

One of the two final puzzle pieces showed up today, Flexalite Monster dual E fans- 18 inch blades, 32 by 17 by 4 1/2. Also sprung for the speed controller so they dont bother me noise wise when the AC kicks on. Hopefully the music she makes with the full exhaust and cam will overpower the damn E fans however.

Fan mock up is done on my old radiator. Had a pin hole in the drivers side tank, so i bought a double core replacement.

Next step is having the transmission provisions wired back into the harness, then she goes under the knife. She should be a fun little DD.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good! Are you running front 4.56 gears also?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

2WD. haha.

Next build with be 4 by. This has gotten me places where some 4 by's cant get (driver mod). I just need to stay away from deep deep mud. Got posi out back, not sure of the brand, it the rear was in the truck when i got it. Ive only gotten stuck a few times and it was me being stupid and drunk.

Next build will be NNBS 1500, 5 over on 37s.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Pro 2 style build. Just nowhere near as badass. Not many LT'ed tahoes in the world. I like being different.

2wd prerunner tahoe and a typhoon. Unique garage collection. I have yet to own a truck made in this century hahaha
Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Small word of advise, if you're gutting cats and all, you need to go ahead and do long tubes. The short headers are gonna gain pretty much nothing over stock manifolds except a little header noise. You can still put gutted cat cases after the long tubes if need be, you'll be much better off power wise.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the baPhoon
2WD. haha.

Next build with be 4 by. This has gotten me places where some 4 by's cant get (driver mod). I just need to stay away from deep deep mud. Got posi out back, not sure of the brand, it the rear was in the truck when i got it. Ive only gotten stuck a few times and it was me being stupid and drunk.

Next build will be NNBS 1500, 5 over on 37s.
Gotcha. Driver mod is no joke! I've gotten stuck in my 4x4 just by doing stupid ****, haha. I tried to drive over a "dried" river bed only to have my truck sink like a rock to the frame rails.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Small word of advise, if you're gutting cats and all, you need to go ahead and do long tubes. The short headers are gonna gain pretty much nothing over stock manifolds except a little header noise. You can still put gutted cat cases after the long tubes if need be, you'll be much better off power wise.
Yeah the shorties were 200 with mid pipes from a friend. Think I'm gonna go long tubes. Makes no sense to get this motor in and have no extra power for 200$ when for 350 I can get some pacesetter LTs and mid pipes then upgrade to something more noteworthy later. Thanks for the input. I was wondering about these shorties not allowing the motor to breath.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Now here Is my next debacle.

What the hell application do I order long tubes for? Noone makes a 97 tahoe LS swap long tube with mid pipe. So I guess I'll just order 6.0 silvy long tubes and an off road mid pipe kit, and muffler. I don't do emissions so a cat isn't necessary for my swap.

Any suggestions are greatly wellcome.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Pick up a set of pacesetters for a 99-07 truck and see if they fit. You can always sell them fairly quick if they don't or can't be made to work.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Scrapped the shorties and bought LT's last night. Full true duals going in.

Schoenfeld Long tube headers, 1 3/4 primaries into 3 inch collectors.
Borla XR-1 race mufflers x2.
Generic 3" turn downs x2
Catless.

Offroad X pipe will be bought once the engine is in, headers on. So we can mock up the exhaust and know exactly where we will be fitment wise. She should sound real mean when i stomp on it (rarely needed unless im getting on the freeway, going WOT from a dig on dirt with this 2wd rig will get me in trouble)

She goes to extreme performance and tuning on Friday. Should be a fun shop rig.

Here are the headers and mid pipes im replacing.

Name:  20131111_015714.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  129.5 KB

Id spend more modding those to fit then i would just buying this whole system. Plus This new system will sound amazing.

Quick Reply: Prerunner Tahoe undergoing built LQ4 swap