PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My LQ9 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wish my school would let us do something like this...then i would attempt it
Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool build man. ill def be checking in for updates. i hope that i get the time/money to do an engine build when i get out of the military. that way it will be ready in case my 5.3 pops later down the road. its awesome to see you guys doing projects like these in auto school. im getting out next year and hoping to do something very similar. best of luck on your build.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good work man, a little extra cleaning and some good prep go a long way on engine block painting..

Now when you install it and nick the paint you will be like a baby...

Ive been there done that too many times to count..

Keep up the good work, i wanna hear that thing run!!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Sierra2
cool build man. ill def be checking in for updates. i hope that i get the time/money to do an engine build when i get out of the military. that way it will be ready in case my 5.3 pops later down the road. its awesome to see you guys doing projects like these in auto school. im getting out next year and hoping to do something very similar. best of luck on your build.
Thanks! I'm really excited to get this thing in.

Originally Posted by ig109
Good work man, a little extra cleaning and some good prep go a long way on engine block painting..

Now when you install it and nick the paint you will be like a baby...

Ive been there done that too many times to count..

Keep up the good work, i wanna hear that thing run!!
Yeah I know I'm going to be handling it like it was glass haha. Kept a little paint for touch up haha.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good Steve! Your school has some great gear! Hey, be sure to scrape the Chevy Orange off of the sealing surface for the front cover gasket (and any other gasket surfaces that paint may have gotten on to), or you could end up with a leak
Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow , steve i hade not seen this build of urs , it's looking bad *** man congrats ! Hey i might have some thing laying around if you need something let me know ! I might just have it and would be more then happy to let you have it ! Good job man!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Looking good Steve! Your school has some great gear! Hey, be sure to scrape the Chevy Orange off of the sealing surface for the front cover gasket (and any other gasket surfaces that paint may have gotten on to), or you could end up with a leak
Thanks Bud! Yeah I know I have to get a litte of the overspray off the front. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

Originally Posted by 1slowz71
Wow , steve i hade not seen this build of urs , it's looking bad *** man congrats ! Hey i might have some thing laying around if you need something let me know ! I might just have it and would be more then happy to let you have it ! Good job man!
Thanks dude. I'll let you know if I need anything.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Another Update

Alright, so now that the block is all cleaned up and painted, I inspected the crank and rods.

First was magnafluxing the crankshaft.

Crank set up in the machine.

Adam Textin'

Adam and his tall self...

A little tall for the hood.

And checking the rods.

And finally got my cylinder head bolt tap.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Default Update

So I have ordered ARP Main studs and Rod bolts, so in the mean time I began measuring the crank and block. I reused the stock bolts for the mains and rods to get the measurements

Everything looked good. Going to wait for the studs and double check everything.

Got the crank cleaned up in the solvent tank. No major damage to the journals, but the rear main journal has a little bit of material on it from the bearing. Going to have to take it to a local machine shop to have it micro polished. Not able to do it at school due to an issue with our lathe.

Should have my hardware by the end of the week. Going to continue work on monday.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Checked my email, ARP's were just delivered (ordered yesterday!) Gotta love Summit. will post pics later today.

Quick Reply: My LQ9 Build