PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My LQ9 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update!

Took almost an hour and a half to tape everything off and get a coat of paint on the block.

Rear cover taped up

On the stand and all clean.

Ready for some color.

After the first coat.

This last pic is of our two dyno cells. Both unfinished... Hopefully they will be done by the time I get the engine done.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good. What converter do you plan on running behind it?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So have you decided on heads and a compression ratio yet?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the orange paint look when properly applied.. That will look great under the hood, and in a rcsb id say it will run pretty good as well..

I cant be happy enough with the program i attended at Southern Illinois University, the instructors were great and the courses were awesome, i learned alot while attending and did alot of work as well.. The school is currently building a new facility that is state of the art at our aviation campus, it will have several chassis and several engine dynos, as well as one capable of putting a big rig on. Should be fun to go back and tour..
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ig109
I like the orange paint look when properly applied.. That will look great under the hood, and in a rcsb id say it will run pretty good as well..

I cant be happy enough with the program i attended at Southern Illinois University, the instructors were great and the courses were awesome, i learned alot while attending and did alot of work as well.. The school is currently building a new facility that is state of the art at our aviation campus, it will have several chassis and several engine dynos, as well as one capable of putting a big rig on. Should be fun to go back and tour..
Yeah I wanted to go with Chevy Orange because black seemed boring for all of the work I'm doing to it. That sounds like a great program. I am actually going to start a dyno class next week. Pretty excited about that.

Originally Posted by 00buckshot
So have you decided on heads and a compression ratio yet?
For heads I was thinking about the 317's I got with it. After some porting and milling. Compression ratio will be 11.0:1

Originally Posted by SLOXCAB
Looking good. What converter do you plan on running behind it?
Thanks man. Not sure on a converter yet.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve-O-08
Yeah I wanted to go with Chevy Orange because black seemed boring for all of the work I'm doing to it. That sounds like a great program. I am actually going to start a dyno class next week. Pretty excited about that.
The school i went to had only a set of rollers for 2wd cars and trucks and no engine dynos..

I however got a job with Cummins running their calibration developement test cells with the 11.9 or 15 litre engines.. Then went on to write abuse tests and abuse calibrations... and am now working on some top secret stuff for them.. All of that coming from a school and background with no dyno experience... I have taken a pre production engine and ran at 125% power for 1500+ hours..

Great job, so cool to get paid to try and break these things..

Looks like a great program you are attending.. Soak it all up man i know i did and it got me along way from home and making alot more than i did working in the parts stores.. (just realized that i sound like an old man((im only 25))
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ig109
The school i went to had only a set of rollers for 2wd cars and trucks and no engine dynos..

I however got a job with Cummins running their calibration developement test cells with the 11.9 or 15 litre engines.. Then went on to write abuse tests and abuse calibrations... and am now working on some top secret stuff for them.. All of that coming from a school and background with no dyno experience... I have taken a pre production engine and ran at 125% power for 1500+ hours..

Great job, so cool to get paid to try and break these things..

Looks like a great program you are attending.. Soak it all up man i know i did and it got me along way from home and making alot more than i did working in the parts stores.. (just realized that i sound like an old man((im only 25))
Its neat working on proto type stuff and getting to run the **** out of it. Im part of the Paccar MX program so I get to see some awesome stuff on the dyne also.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

A few more pics.

Soda-Blasted the Front and Rear covers, Valve covers, Oil pan, Main Caps, Windage tray, and Valley cover. More pics of them later.

And got a final coat of paint on the block and let it finish drying. Then peeled the tape off.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

awesome project. keep it up!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks!

Quick Reply: My LQ9 Build