PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My 07 NNBS Sierra Ext Cab 4x4 Turbo Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's been a little bit since I've had an update but the truck spent the last week at the trans shop getting the 4L80E installed. It went very smooth it just took a week for the custom drive shafts to come in. This shop had never done a 4L80E swap before but were very eager to do it which was nice and in the end they were awesome.

The 32 spline transfer case input shaft that I had found was actually the right now so it fit inside my stock Tcase no problem and bolted up to the 4L80E no problem either. I was worried as I had read that no one was able to do a 4x4 GMT-900 before but I'm happy to report that it drives and has 4x4 working

The wiring was very easy following the how-to's for the GMT-900 that I found online and as for tuning well we had a spare TCM so what we did was flash the truck with the stock Chevy Express tune, we put in a different TCM, flashed my old file back into the truck, put the TCM with the Chevy Express tune in and then read entire and voila we had a hybrid tune. Spent maybe an hour doing some wiring and we can now tune it with the 4L80E parameters no need to spend $$ on a harness and rely on relays etc.

This the the first time I've ever driven with an aftermarket converter and it's interesting, it's only a 3200 stall but you for sure have to give it some gas for it to get going compared to stock, I'm sure I'll get used to it. I am just coming up on the recommended 150miles from Yank before I can actually really drive the truck a little harder so I'm anxious to see how the trans will work.

I have some pictures will try and post them up in the next day or so.

Jay
Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 AM
FormerVendor

Looks nice, I see you have a lot of plans for it
Old 12-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Awesome build man. How ya liking that convertor now?
Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 07NNBSVMAX
Awesome build man. How ya liking that convertor now?
Well, it's great overall, but it doesn't like snow/ice (if I'm trying to pass someone on slick roads and I roll into it a bit too quickly once the converter catches the truck likes to go sideways.....so I drive it in 4x4 if it's icy or snowy)

Also, I moved last weekend and borrowed my buddy's 16ft trailer to move my garage stuff, his trailer weighs 2000lbs and when my truck and trailer were full (ATV, tools, etc.) let's just say you felt the 3200 stall, If I had to tow something on a semi regular basis I wouldn't have this high of a stall. Not to mention with the lowered truck, it was interesting, good thing I didn't have to go too far.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Launching!

Nice, glad to hear you got used to it. I had a circle d 3k for 140 miles until the output shaft shattered. I was just getting used to it when it blew but I'm going 4l80 and couldn't decide if I wanted a 3k or drop down a little. I now have a 2000 1500 4x4 for a dd so it's not as big of an issue. Is there anything you want to change about your setup?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:44 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff man , thanks for sharing the info on the 80E swap !
Old 08-07-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Thought I would add something here, just re-read my thread crazy to see all that I did to the truck last year lol Not much has changed really, been boosted almost a year now and have had no issues which is nice. Met up with my turbo builder/tuner several times to tweak a few small things but haven't dynoed yet since the 4L80E been busy with life etc. however should be doing that in the coming weeks and then taking it to the track to see how she does. It's my daily driver, gas mileage with turbo + 4L80E +3200 stall is roughly around 15mpg and usually not too much city driving, not sure how that compares to others.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Alright, went to the dyno yesterday, what we did since the last dyno (blue line) was a 4L80E Swap, tuned it further increasing timing, the Alky works now (realized it hadn't been working for a while) and the boost is roughly the same. I say Roughly because last time at 45% duty cycle on the AEM TruBoost gave me 12PSI this time it was 11PSI at that Boost level so I changed it to 50% duty cycle and it went back up to 12PSI. Good peak gain but at 6000RPM it's up 60whp compared to before.

All in all we're VERY impressed by the numbers, was expecting loss in power with the 80E but looks like all the extra street tuning over the past few months have worked out. Not bad for a bone stock 5.3L (only have valve springs in there). We're going to hit the track then I'm going to throw in a Cam and see if we can't get her up to 600whp.

Blue Line - 4L60E, 12PSI
Red Line - 4L80E, 12PSI

Name:  4L60Evs4L80E.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  33.1 KB
Old 09-09-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Little update, went to the track on Sunday, it was Mopar day with T&T but was only able to get 3 runs in so hard to make changes etc. but my last 2 runs were very close. I'm pretty happy with the results, this was on a 6Ply 275/70/17 tire with 30psi launching in 4x4 and full street weight, I didn't even take the tools out nothing.

We're gonna go back in the fall when it's a bit cooler to see if I can improve on this time. I have a video just have to upload it but I think i was pushing through the converter on the launch we were seeing a lot of converter slip and on the video the truck doesn't really leave very fast at all.

Name:  Track090814.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  16.7 KB
Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good work. Nice power levels on a stock engine. Any sign of fuel pressure loss on the flex fuel pump?

Quick Reply: My 07 NNBS Sierra Ext Cab 4x4 Turbo Build Thread