PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

I hope I'm not late for work!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear you on the transmission deal. Years ago, I had a BMW manual trans fall off the jack onto the floor. Well more or less I basically guided it to the ground off the jack because it had already made its mind up it was no longer content residing on the jack. Fortunately for me, it was significantly lighter than an 80e and it didn't get damaged, but it was enough for me to learn my lesson about transmissions going in without the proper tooling.

I will say I am a bit sad to see you're changing directions on your truck, but at the same time I completely understand. It sucks to have a dedicated track only vehicle. I learned my lesson with previous projects and decided that I'd much rather have a car I can enjoy on the street and maybe give up some at the track. Also, its been my experience that track dedicated vehicles require more maintenance than I care to give, anymore I am about reliable power even if its not the all out ragged edge build.. Those builds are definitely neat to see, and I dont want to take anything away from anyone who wants to build 'em I just know they aren't for me anymore.

Keep us updated on the progress !
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

well I was kind of at the point where I either had to go up or down in terms of power. Having a track only vehicle isn't easy when your track only vehicle is also your transportation to the track. Maybe if I had a trailer and tow truck I might have kept it as a tracked vehicle but I don't so I digress.this blower will probably top out somewhere between 700 and 800 if I had to guess. My thinking is it would make a pretty awesome tow vehicle with that kind of setup so we will see about a track only vehicle in the future.

if you watched me put transmissions in you would be startled I haven't had an incident before now haha. It basically rolled off the jack and landed on the corner where the two bolts and dowel fit and had two large cracks right around the dowel area so I didn't trust it putting it back in.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
if you watched me put transmissions in you would be startled I haven't had an incident before now haha. It basically rolled off the jack and landed on the corner where the two bolts and dowel fit and had two large cracks right around the dowel area so I didn't trust it putting it back in.
FWIW, I didn't drop and break a transmission in this area, but I did use one that had been dropped and consequently repaired with a competent tig welder wielding his torch. While it was noticeable that it had been repaired, it fit as good as any other transmission and the repair never caused an issue. Then again 80e's are cheap enough these days that you could always swap the guts over for probably close to the same money as a repair.

I hear ya on the track/tow vehicle. If I had a 5 car shop behind my house stuff would be different, but I live in suburbia and don't want to pay to store/rent the necessary equipment to haul a toy to the track..
Old 12-08-2014, 07:29 PM
I have a gauge for that

Yea, well i tried a repair with a spool gun and that was terrible. when I boltedt it up I could just hear it cracking as I tightened the bolts haha. So I decided to abort that repair attempt and just get a new case...
Old 12-08-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I also had a trans drop off a regular jack. I then bought the harbor freight trans jack and it was worth every penny.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Bolt it to a block and then repair it...
Old 12-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Sucks to hear about breaking the case. I am curious to see what kind of results you see with the blower, there is no doubting it will still be fun. After I redo my fuel system this winter (which I need to get moving on) I am going to turn mine up more. We will see how it feels at 16 or so.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:30 PM
I have a gauge for that

Well i always talk about how much i like blowers, so its not anyone could say i dont put my money where my mouth is haha
Old 12-08-2014, 11:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We need to change your screen name to Atomic M.D.

As in "Mass Destruction"...
Old 12-09-2014, 05:51 AM
I have a gauge for that

Theres a reason my avatar has been the same for 8 years haha

Quick Reply: I hope I'm not late for work!