PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Dark Star - 2014 Silverado RCSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice truck.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Nice truck.
Thanks. Once our weather clears up, I'd like to get some better pictures. There's a show-n-shine in a couple of weeks that I'm going to enter.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GWEE
Its a new company the owner used to work for QA1 and for the price they seems fair.
I've noticed that you've spent quite a bit of time (& probably money) going through shocks. Very beneficial to the forum sharing your experience; thanks.

So what's your take on the QA1s?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes i have, the Vi-king will be the fifth pair of shocks and counting. I had the factory shocks which didn't workout to great ( not enough travel which I know would be the case ) the drop shocks what came with the McGaughy 4/7 kit ( took them off the same day i put them on and put the factory back on ) them i bought the SP beltech ( hated them cuz all they are are drop shocks with the word Street performance writen on them ) them bought some QA1 struts and used them as shocks ( Way way way better then the other shocks I've tried ) now it's Vi-kings turn and then i will try Ridetech.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Well, crap.

Got the QA1 shocks in, but none of the bushings fit the shock bolt.

And something I noticed is that the threaded section of the shock bolt is about .04 larger in diameter than the bolt body (.5" dia). If I found a bushing that slid over the threads it's going to be a little sloppy.

That's bad right? What am I missing?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Well I thought I had a bright idea. I bought a set of true 1/2" grade 8 nuts, bolts and washers that actually fit the 1/2" ID sleeves.

Wouldn't you know it; the top bolt has the nut built into the shock mount so I have to use the factory bolt.

I also noticed that the bushing sleeves are about .5" - .75" to short in length.

I'm punting at this point. I'll order the Belltechs and send everything else back.

I'll keep searching for a Tier 1 quality shock that will bolt up.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Whew. Got the Monroe (MA743) air shocks installed. Easy as pie, bolted right in out of the box.

It actually rides pretty good with 55psi. Of course my only comparison are the broken shocks I took off. lol.

So I'm probably going to return the QA1s and get Ride-Techs. No rush now tho.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Representing at the local car show, Plano, TX American Legion #321

Last edited by bigsapper; 02-23-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

3rd place all trucks.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GWEE
Yes i have, the Vi-king will be the fifth pair of shocks and counting. I had the factory shocks which didn't workout to great ( not enough travel which I know would be the case ) the drop shocks what came with the McGaughy 4/7 kit ( took them off the same day i put them on and put the factory back on ) them i bought the SP beltech ( hated them cuz all they are are drop shocks with the word Street performance writen on them ) them bought some QA1 struts and used them as shocks ( Way way way better then the other shocks I've tried ) now it's Vi-kings turn and then i will try Ridetech.
GWEE, if you're still reading this thread...How did you get the QA1's to mount up? Nothing I got (bushings, sleeves) fit.

Quick Reply: Dark Star - 2014 Silverado RCSB