PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
The bed issues is a long story man. Long story short, the truck was at Triangle Speed back when Madman was making his transition through there. Well, apparently he got pressed for time and some other fool put the tubs in and pretty much ruined it. I called the issue to Madman's attention, he acknowledged, apologized and offered to pay to get the bed painted if I ever addressed it. It was fine before, but now over time and I guess a few weather cycles, the bed side has come completely detached from the tub. The other issue is that whoever did it, decided to try to roll the fender lip (even though I specifically told them not too cause with my custom 9" and wheel set up the tire would fully tuck with room to spare). Upon his roll job, it completely fucked the paint up and its starting to peel. So not only did this moron not stop, he decided well since that didn't work, he just cut the pinch weld , fender lip or whatever you call it completely out on the other side. Which now looks like **** cause both side are fucked up in two different ways.

...and if that wasn't enough, the wheel tub wasn't taken in far enough to fit any larger wheel than the 12" I have on it now. It should have been taken to the frame. So if I ever had the desire to run a 14" wheel with a W on it, it's gonna have to get new tubs anyway.

Sorry for the rant.
Thanks real shitty man, sounds like they owe you a bed, tubs and paint. I think I would be ranting more. So you're welcome to.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:53 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GM1697
Thanks real shitty man, sounds like they owe you a bed, tubs and paint. I think I would be ranting more. So you're welcome to.
I agree with you, but it is what it is. Personally, I think it should have been completely fixed before I picked it up...........but thats the way **** goes. I obviously didn't notice it till I got it home, which didn't help the matter.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your box that really sucks.
Seeing your problem and I'm not sure on what you could work out to fix it with them but if you cant work it out.

And I'm not sure what type of tub you said you had stock?
Why not fix the tub yourself and make it to the frame like you said you wanted.?
Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I had them put 40" tubs in it.

I want the bed sides back stock, un-cut and not rolled. Then I'd like to use a small part of the factory tub (that attaches to the bed side) to spot weld the new tub to. That way I don't have to rely on seam sealer to hold the bed side on.

I'd fix it myself if the bed side weren't fucked. I'm not a body guy.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Ah I see.
When they did your tub did they make new flanges all the way around and put new brackets going from the bottom of the wheel well back to the tub? ( those rod stock ones)

If you go back to stock is the hole in the floor of the bed still the same length? ( front of box to tail gate?
Old 06-12-2016, 03:08 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Not quite sure what you're asking. This is really the only good pic I have of the tubs. I'll get some better ones to post up to see if anyone else has a comment.

Name:  2012_1203wensketubs20003.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  84.0 KB

Here is a pic of the truck before the tubs were installed. I cut the old ones out myself and if you look close you can see that I left plenty material for a weldable attachment point to the bed side.

Name:  Picture229_zps45b19720.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  1.53 MB
Old 06-12-2016, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

What is holding your tubs in? Just seam sealer?
What I mean is how your stock tubs where put in there was a flange all the way around the tub under the bed that the tubs where spot welded to your going to need that lip again. I made sheet metal angles and riveted them in and riveted the tubs to that then attached those rods to the tubs just like stock.

To go back to stock tubs like you want that will all have to be remade again or welded in.
the only ugly part is the half moon hole left by the big tubs I would think that will be the hardest part to fix unless you saved the cut outs.

As for the rolled fenders could you not un role them it may cause some distortion in the body but your getting it repainted so any body shop would be able to fix that I would think.

Your box looks pretty mint and hard to get off the truck with that cage you got I would say if you could find a nice replacement box at a wreaking yard or somewhere would be the cleanest way to do it and cheapest I would think.

I'm not a body guy ether but that's how I see it and its just some ideas to try to help your issue.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may not apply but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I would think there would be quite a bit of labor involved to unroll the lips and fix any distortion especially on a black truck. Of course that depends on how close to original you'd want the appearance. When I talked to my body man about fixing the rust on my truck he said that by the time you factor in the labor involved with welding in patch panels and bodyworking them that it was almost equal to just replacing the bed skin. Since my truck is pewter instead of black and probably more forgiving to less than perfect bodywork he knows I'm a picky SOB. Lol! He made the comment 1 time that when I was coming to pick something up he wanted to dig a whole behind the shop and hide until I was gone because I'm so **** about my vehicles.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:30 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I've also been tossing around the idea of just buying another bed. Obviously the cage is in the way, so I was thinking that I could section it right down the middle. Basically each side of the bed could be slid on/off the side for installation/maintenance or whatever.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:31 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Moving the carbon bed cover over to a new bed would be pretty simple.

Quick Reply: Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More