PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

370 build FINALLY getting started

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:27 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face 370 build FINALLY getting started

Well after months and months of waiting I can finally start ordering parts. I took my old 11 sec LQ4 block to a very trust worthy machine shop in Utah (Cleggs Machine shop) that my family has used for years. They have not done a ton of the gen 3 blocks, but a few is a hell-of-a lot more than anyone around here... Plus they know all about performance, they build a lot of the local pro-stock guy’s engines. ANYWAY..........

My plans are a stock crank, (unless funds increase) Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, and of course factory TTY bolts threw-out.. The goal is 900 hp or a 10 sec pass.. I'm still undecided about the cam... I plan on keeping and running the GT67 turbo. I know it is about out of breath so I hope a small shot of n2o (radix crutch) will allow me to obtain my goal with the turbo. After all, I drive this truck everyday. I don't want some useless huge turbo.. (Plus I'm cheap)

The finer details...

**The rods will most likely be 6.125 with ARP 2000 bolts. I wanted 6.3 rods, but the ring gap will already be big and I don't like burning oil...

**The pistons will be Wiseco's new 2618 LS series Pistons. I'll be running K398f3 Pistons which has a -3.2 dish. Yes, high compression, A little over 10.1, but I won’t know for sure until later this next week. At this point, I'm still unsure about rings as well. I chose a high compression to help with the lack of turbo and give it better street manner, plus from all my research high compression/low boost makes more power than low compression/high boost. I still have my doubts if this is true, but one thing is for sure, the tuning "window" will be much tighter with the higher compression.. Speaking of boost, peak boost will be what ever the gt67 can do. I'm hoping for 15-16 psi.... Also the Pistons will be coated…

**The heads will be the 317's (I ran before), cleaned up and milled only to ensure they are flat. The springs will be 918 comps unless the elusive cam needs more....

**The fueling is still unknown at this point (ya, I know I have a lot of loose ends). It will either be 60 pound highZ's or a driver or a twin fuel system with some stockish injectors spraying high octane and supply the fuel needed for the n2o...

**The intake will be stock until later this year
Other things of interest..
I will be using a 2step, stock converter, oil accumulator, and some 3.73's hopefully....

Any thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i would go with the Callies Compstar rods, they cost a little more but they weigh less.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

how much boost you plan on running
Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 PM

As much as the little 67 can. I dream of 20 Psi... I'm not too worried about peak boost but rather peak cylinder pressure. So as much boost and timing as I can efficiently.

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 02-24-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im sure you this already but if you go 408 you will need a different piston.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 PM

Yea
, pistons will be different. Thanks for the heads up on the wight of the rods, ill be running Callies rods. My wife will like that, here name is callie.

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 02-24-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

sounds like a good setup, should be a fun build, I've always like Wiseco pistons! probably because they make so much motorcycle stuff, but anyway, looking forward to the updates and such
Old 02-24-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you played around with cylinder pressure numbers? Just curious what you would come up with using different IVC points. I think you may be able to drop the compression just a little bit (9.5) and run a cam with the right advance to retain off boost manners and allow some room for high boost also. If you don't plan to spin it way up there you could tolerate this kind of set up.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
Have you played around with cylinder pressure numbers? Just curious what you would come up with using different IVC points. I think you may be able to drop the compression just a little bit (9.5) and run a cam with the right advance to retain off boost manners and allow some room for high boost also. If you don't plan to spin it way up there you could tolerate this kind of set up.
Thoght of that, though I haven't plaied with numbers yet. I may end up running a K444F3 Wiseco that has a -11 dish, that will put me a bit under 9.5. My cam choice will most likely be abit smaller than most.....
Old 02-25-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the build man! Should be a beast!

Quick Reply: 370 build FINALLY getting started