PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2000 silverado rclb to rcsb drag truck low budget conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off hand does anyone know the weight of the front versus rear rotors?
Another thread on here got me considering swapping front brakes for a set of rear brakes. But if I go that far I may Fab up a front clip and say screw it
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Oh and since this is performancetrucks.net you guys may like my 2 link rear suspension. it cost $80 and changed the dynamics of the truck substantially.

I took some 2.5" square tubing 36" long and literally replaced my leaf springs. drilled my holes 33" apart and did not use front bushings. just a 1/2" hole through the tubing. Truck handles like its on rails. almost no body roll. its literally point and shoot. Lifts the middle of the truck, loads the tires and goes! No spring wrap. No twisting. Just pulls weight off the front and goes.
I used some overload springs from advance auto parts and welded the lower coil perches to the top of my axle pad where the bump stops would meet. Rides great. Adds a lot of confidence to the truck and I don't have the shocks on yet.

I am trying to do wheelies so I will replace my current 40" ones with 56" links to try and unload the front more since I have zero weight behind my rear tires. I'm also looking at replacing the coils with outboard mounted airbags so I can air it down at the track for more weight transfer then head to a gas station and air them back up for daily driving.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Definitely subscribing, keep up the good work man.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to be an *******, but I would try to rethink your rear suspension setup.

Im not expert on drag suspension, but i did have my stint with air ride. The setup you described in your post is very similar to a door. Where your spring hangers attach to yoir link bars would be your hinges.

If you think about it your rear end will not be able to articulate. If you jack up one side of your rear end, the other side will raise as well.

Of course it feels like your truck rides on rails, because your rear end has no room pivot. I had this problem when i ran a 2 link as well and i had bushings on mine.

I ended up breaking an axle tube. Im just trying to save you some time if this truck ever sees the street. I can see you either wearing out the holes you drilled in your link bars or breaking an axle tube.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

I don't want articulation or flex. Its very similar to a drag race sway bar and actually a little better since there isn't constant tension on the axle. My u bolts would hopefully snap long before my axle tubes. That's scary.

I have about 4.5" of articulation from design flex as opposed to roughly 10" stock. Mine is setup as close as possible to a ladder bar setup and there is no tension. When I jack up the frame I can cycle the suspension by hand.

It certainly isn't a mod for the faint of heart. But neither is cutting 52" of frame rail off your truck. This truck is daily driven but whatever I break I will upgrade. If this axle breaks I will pick up a cab and chassis dually 14ff convert it to disc, spool, and run dual 12.50 wide rear tires on aluminum wheels. Not that I'm looking forward to snapping an axle but if it happens...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Also how did your suspension all hook up? Did the front links rigidly mount to the axle or was there a pivot?

The only 2 link setups I've seen have been reverse 2 links. I've never seen a rigid 2 link setup before this thing I built. Probably for a good reason. But maybe not.

Last edited by CAGRacing; 04-13-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: you don't spell axle scoff
Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, not ragging on your setup. I just wanted to let you know with my experience with 2 links and the street. It may be fine on a flat road.

Mine was just a simple 2 link. Poly bushings that went through the factory spring hangers. The other end was ubolted to spring perches on the rear end. It ended up pushing the perches through the axle tube. I also ran a sway bar.

4 inches of articulation may be fine. Mine was really noticeable ,on the street, that there was no articulation. Good luck on your build.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

I guess i forgot to mention that it was an all forward 2 link. I think my problem was that i did not have a block between the link bars and the spring perches.

Ive done a few minis since then and put a block on them with longer u joints. They did fine. I assume the longer blocks and u joints give some flex as well, but who wants to drag race with 3 inch blocks lol.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Did it push vertical or laterally into the axle?

How was the airbag attached to the axle?
I definitely don't want to duplicate your setup.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Installed my corvette servo today. Don't notice it under 1/4 throttle but more than that and I can chirp the tires into 2nd gear.

Got my front tires on. 205/50r16 shaved 23 lbs per front and 21lbs per rear tire. Still need to replace my 2 link bars with longer ones and install my shocks.

I'm looking at removing and selling the a/c, power steering, and converting to manual brakes once my truck is lite enough.

I also have to skin the front clip and need to sell my original driveshaft and gas tank. $50 each.

Quick Reply: 2000 silverado rclb to rcsb drag truck low budget conversion