PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2000 silverado rclb to rcsb drag truck low budget conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

GREAT BUILD!!!

Very innovative!!! Please post up frequent updates! Don't pay attention to all these and their 'experience' that they've gained by only reading internet forums
Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Im a skeptic...
Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People really need to stop encouraging this foolishness. Building on a tight budget and hacking a truck to the point it is no long safe at any speed, ARE VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Quite frankly, if I was driving on the road and saw this thing rolling, I would park my truck as far off the side of the road as possible and wait until it had passed me.

Now, there are some great idea's here that are outside the box, and awesome job jumping out and trying to do something yourself. BUT, the neatness has been well passed into beyond dangerous to drive.

Quit ignoring the advice being given. You are putting everyone else on the road at risk when you drive this death trap. If you want to kill yourself with this thing, more power to you. Just don't take anyone else out with you.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Guys. Seriously?

That rear suspension is plenty strong. I can guarantee at least one member on here has a broken leaf spring in their pack, a crack in a spring perch, worn out shocks, loose idler and pit man arms, rusted brake lines or seized calipers, unevenly worn tires, bulges in their tires, or wheel spacers.

Those are things that kill people everyday.

But so does wreck less driving and driving while intoxicated.

Now... who's safer?

I have none of those issues and as a matter of fact my truck currently weighs about 1,000 lbs less than an average truck on here, resulting in better handling, better braking, less chassis flex, and better fuel economy (just throwing that in there).

Also my truck doesn't leak any fluids.

If you want to see unsafe go to a used car lot where brake lines are plugged, exhaust is held up by wire, and the steering is worn out. Some of you guys own these trucks. I'm not cutting holes in my frame to pass the exhaust through. I'm shortening it.

Chill out. Like it or ignore it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Oh! And to the guys that say leaf springs are the best bet. Walk out to your truck and lift the back right corner of your truck until the back left tire barely touches the ground. now measure your wheelbase on each side.

When a leaf spring is compressed it does what? That's right. Gets longer. your wheelbase shifts as you run over every single hole and dip in the ground. When there is a difference in length from one side to the other what happens?

Its called dog tracking. You are steering your truck uncontrollably with your rear axle. install anti sway bars and traction bars all you want. It will still dog track. Only rigid suspension systems prevent this from happening.

Now. tell me again how dangerous my truck is. ignorance is dangerous only when you refuse to learn.

If you doubt me then Google it before you respond. I've done my homework and have seen it first hand with all spring suspension lifts.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your ideas are okay, you're just not executing them very well...
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So all the engineers for all these different companys who put leafs on the front and back have been doing it for years are wrong and dangerous?? What do you think the purpose of a shackle that pivots on one end of the spring is for... Ever heard of a slip yoke in a drive shaft??

I guess all those things are just hair brained ideas too...

Of course your wheel base changes, but there are things in place to let that happen "correctly" One fixed end and one moveable end, do you know what a circle is? That's how 99% of all rear suspensions travel. Link or leaf, doesn't matter... Do some homework on that concept and get back with us....
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

This **** is comedy gold.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Seriously, your going to defend your death trap.

I have crushed better built vehicles then this.

There is no engineering on this vehicle, just PLAIN RIGGING.

There is NO WAY this passed any sort of safety inspection as it currently sits. I am fairly certain it won't pass any safety inspection at any track, and know beyond a fact it won't pass a road safety inspection to be driven on the street. The only way it will pass is if you know someone to do it for you.

All I see is a burnout queen. If you even get it to hook up hard with any amount of power, that whole rear suspension is going to fold up. There is no strength built into that at all. Keep bragging about grade 8 hardware, it isn't going to do you any good.

By the way, posting up pictures of your past builds don't build any confidence either. We call those "F' up buggies" around here. We take them out, beat on them for a weekend, then strip and crush them, and put the parts on another rust bucket.

They call it RICE-RICE BABY
Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

The only way to find out how strong those "grade 8" bolts are is to achieve the 1000hp (700 hp streetable) poweplant that you have planned for this budget build. Be sure and video your first outing in it too. I'm ready to see some carnage. Just don't kill yourself...

Quick Reply: 2000 silverado rclb to rcsb drag truck low budget conversion