PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

03 Tan Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 03 Tan Sierra

Well I guess its about time I make one of these threads. I don't know when i found PT, but once i did, i couldnt get off it! Ha. My vision for the project is just a fast street truck, but we'll see if that ever happens. Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated throughout this build, its going to take some time to get into the engine performance department, but I'll get there.

Here's the truck I started with, bought it in late November 2012. 2003 RCSB with 164,000 miles, 2wd, open rear, auto, 4.8l. Here it is the day i got it.

Original Plans are:
4/6 drop
Hotchkiss front and rear sway bars
Wider Rims and Tires
TruTrac
Turbo
4" Down Pipe with 4" electric cut out
Cam
Trunion Kit
LS6 cam
head studs

Hopin to run 10-12lbs of boost for around 500hp or so. Might push the boost more and add some meth, but who knows
Attached Thumbnails 03 Tan Sierra-002.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-005.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The first day i got to work on it, i just removed the molding and badges on the tail gate. I ordered a McGaughy's 4/6 drop kit and belltech street performance shocks, but they hadn't come in yet. I also ordered a vette servo for the 4l60e. Looks alot cleaner without the side molding i think.

Looking back on it now, it also woulda been cool to just level the truck as it stood to maintain some type of sleeperish stance, but more on the ride height a little later...
Attached Thumbnails 03 Tan Sierra-rear-tailgate-debadged.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-front-side-view-molding-gone.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's some pics of the drop kit install. I've worked on cars, trucks, and motorcycles but this was really my first time doing anything this in depth. I took my time and had a good friend help me out. Judging by how quickly some of you guys dropped your trucks I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me 4 days to do the 4/6 drop, but oh well, I got it done.
Attached Thumbnails 03 Tan Sierra-spindle-removed1.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-front-lowered-outside1.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-rear-axle-off1.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-cut-c-notch1.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and then here are some of the finished product once the front springs settled a little bit. I hope they'll settle a little more because its kinda got the lean thing going on...
Attached Thumbnails 03 Tan Sierra-front-home1.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-front-side-view-home2.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-sideview-home2.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got home the other weekend and finally got to drive the truck some (Im stationed in VA at the moment and the truck was up in PA getting an alignment and inspection). Since im rarely home and have no time, I just took the bike in to get a tune up so im ready for spring. Putting that little bit of weight in the bed and seeing how it was sagging in the rear made me realize that I need some helper bags, so they're on order now. In a few months I'll have the truck loaded down with all my stuff, the bike in the bed, and I'll be towing my car down to NC, so i figured air bags were necessary.

The one pic is of all 4 of my vehicles HA. really don't need that many.
1) 1996 toyota camry, 190k, DD / beater 29 MPG!! WOO
2) My first truck, 1980 Chevy k20, 350 crate engine, 35" tires, headers, 3speed+granny, intake, 650cfm carb
3) 2005 CRF450x street legal supermoto, that was my first project when i graduated college, completely rebuilt almost everything. 12.4 CR + Q4 FMF + muffler + FMF megabomb header + street bike tires + cut airbox + other various mods = wheelie machine ha. Pretty dangerous actually

Kind of off topic, but I love my toys
Attached Thumbnails 03 Tan Sierra-sideviewwithsupermoto.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-all4vehicles1.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That night when i was telling someone about my supermoto, i remembered that i cut my airbox on the bike and figured why not cut the trucks air box? Did a little research on here and saw that some people did it. I figured what the heck, it'll only be for a few months until i get the turbo. That was pretty late at night, but but i still got it done. Im pretty surprised how much louder cutting the air box made it. Didnt help my mpg tho lol.
Attached Thumbnails 03 Tan Sierra-nightwork.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-chopped-air-box.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On my way back down to VA that weekend, i found a new camaro to play around with but i dont think he was really trying, so i just did a few highway pulls in 3rd...and found the governor haha.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And almost forgot! Earlier this week i took my truck to a shop to get my rear end rebuilt. Got all new bears and seals, stepped down to 3.42s from the stock 3.73s siince its gonna get a hair dryer, and got an eaton trutrac installed!! Got the truck back last night right after it snowed and had some fun in the parking lots... And thats where she stands right now. Next step are rims and tires. I think im gonna go with a 16x8 aluminum rim and a tire thats 1 or 2 inches smaller. Haven't decided on exactly what tho...any thoughts? Thatll be next paycheck. Feel free to give me some feedback. Thanks for looking!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, so I'm tryin to figure out what wheels to get. I'm pretty set on gloss black, 16x8 eight hole rims, and would really like aluminum to keep the weight down. Below are some options im contemplating. I also attached a pic of 00Silv4.8's truck and i really like the look and he's running cragars.

1) Mickey Thompson II's polished and then powder coat gloss black, 21lbs

2) Mickey Thompson III's come in gloss black, 16x8 weigh 20lbs

3) Cragar Soft 8's, gloss black, 16x8, aweosme looking but weigh 37lbs!!

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails 03 Tan Sierra-mtiipolished.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-mtiiiblack.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-cragarsoft8.jpg   03 Tan Sierra-sweet-truck1.png  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look of the gloss black also. Cleaner look with your color truck.

Quick Reply: 03 Tan Sierra