PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

03 Sierra Prostreet Paperweight

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Engine is a stock 4.8 with upgraded fuel setup. Engine has not even been opened yet. I have the cam, and new timing chain, but i was waiting to install until I got everything dialed in.

Username... It is an old gamer tag that stuck with me on a few forums. You can relate closely, haha
Old 01-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be a similar problem to the one in this thread. Plausible since only the fuel system is different.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...er-wtf-544978/
Old 01-27-2017, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Ive read through that thread. It is on the agenda if my new crank sensor or injectors does not rectify the issue at all.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:43 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

What does the "paperweight" comment in the title refer to? I'm a little confused as parts of the build look like reducing weight was the goal....but that would be a "feather weight" right? Paperweights are intentionally heavy, or maybe you said "paperweight" cause it is heavy??? If this is a light weight build and I missed it, what did the truck end up weighing?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Pretty sure he called it a paperweight because its just sitting due to it being an unfinished project that doesnt run right.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown06
What does the "paperweight" comment in the title refer to? I'm a little confused as parts of the build look like reducing weight was the goal....but that would be a "feather weight" right? Paperweights are intentionally heavy, or maybe you said "paperweight" cause it is heavy??? If this is a light weight build and I missed it, what did the truck end up weighing?
TXsilverado is correct. It has been a paperweight for a year and a half, thus the name.

Looking over the scans again, I am lost as to why my trims would peg -16.4 with an otherwise stock setup. Seems like something is amiss there. I am going to hookup the scanner later, reset trims, and turn off closed loop to keep it at 0. Just to see how it runs.

Clift notes: Truck had misfires issues that could NOT be figure out, took to shop. Shop figures out there is water in fuel cell(only piece of fuel system I did not replace). Replace fuel cell, truck ran like stock. Truck ran fine when it was pulled onto a trailer to haul down to TX. When it got to TX to be pulled off, misfires and sputtering. I found the FP to be faulty and figured it was the root cause... drove fine down the road (.5mi) once replaced, then started acting up pulling back in the driveway. Basically where it sits currently.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:58 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I see. Man that sucks.....but then again, I'm the poster boy to owning a "paperweight" lol
Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

And the plot thickens...

Was out scanning and messing with closed loop/trims. I wanted to leave the truck running long enough to hit 200* to make sure my e-fans would turn on like they should (never verified after adding them and tuning). All worked as planned.

Put the truck in gear and footbraked it to see if the missing remained, it did not. So I took it for a short drive, everything felt and acted normal without misfiring. Park it in driveway, and have misfires again. So it is only when the truck is in Park/Neutral that it is having bad misfires. The rpm dip at ~2k has now stopped as well. Not really sure what this tells me, thoughts?

When I got into the gas a couple times in the log, appears as though the truck goes extremely lean, even saw a blip of KR once. I need to drive it a bit to let the trims learn. Pump is new, but the bad one may have left some fun for me to find in the post filter. Entire fuel system is new.

Here is the log for your viewing pleasure. I am....perplexed
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
03 Sierra 01292017 drive.hpl (118.4 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by xxch0dyxx; 01-29-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Sold the On3 kit today, should have it shipped out Monday.

Going to concentrate on getting the 4L80e in, as well as the 5.3 when they arrive. Get those dialed in, and then figure out what kit I want to go with after that.

Put about 10mi on the truck since it started acting better. Drives like you would expect in gear, some slight misses at throttle decal. If she makes it, will be going to the body shop this weekend to get the hail damage fixed. Pics to come if so...

Found a leaky rear axle seal while rolling around under the truck looking over fuel system. So I will need to figure out a P/N for that in the near future to take care of as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

With a cam, misfire detection should be deactivated below 1500 rpm.

Are you actually documenting misfires or is it just a flashing CEL?

Quick Reply: 03 Sierra Prostreet Paperweight