NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Bottle heater and drag radials to help my HSW wet kit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottle heater and drag radials to help my HSW wet kit.

I got my bottle heater installed, and some 245/45 17 Nitto drag radials for my stock wheels this weekend. Before, my truck was running about 14.12 with the HSW wet plate kit (125 jetting), and now its running 13.87. Those numbers are with a Gtech, but I will get some track times, hopefully in May. Pics coming soon.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:09 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would expect better results on a 125 shot
Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

It ran 15.4 on the motor, and this is with stock tuning, and stock airbox. I was hoping for more, Trever, what do you think this should be running?

Last edited by chevytruckguy; 04-29-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well he does have a small v-8 with little to no mods.. what can you expect of something that cant properly make use of the power it is making??

for instance without cams anything over a 90 shot in my truck was next to pointless, just as i assume his truck without having headers and cams has hit a brick wall so to speak..

mod it up mods are cheap for a chevy no reason you cant get that thing into the low 13's for under a grand probably
Old 05-06-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Toomnymods,

Do you think headers and a CAI will help my truck make better use of the nitrous? I'm not sure if I'm ready to get a cam, because I do use this truck to pull trailers and occasionally haul stuff. I've looked into a stall, but I've been told the stock converter is best for towing. By the way, what gears doyou have, and are there headers that you'd recommend for my 4.8.? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bring that thing down here to Jim at Cal speed and have him tune it
Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have a tune from him? If yes, how do you like it?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by chevytruckguy
Toomnymods,

Do you think headers and a CAI will help my truck make better use of the nitrous? I'm not sure if I'm ready to get a cam, because I do use this truck to pull trailers and occasionally haul stuff. I've looked into a stall, but I've been told the stock converter is best for towing. By the way, what gears doyou have, and are there headers that you'd recommend for my 4.8.? Thanks.
yes it'll help immensly what you are doing now is basicilly forcing tons of heat into your block and have no way to let it escape.. headers and cams will greatly make more use of the nitrous.. if was amazed at how much faster i got on nitrous after cams i nearly gained .7 in the 1/4 mile and 6mph in trap speed.. if that isn't astronomical i dont know what is,lol also a good tune will keep the a/f mixture safe and is definatly recommended for nitrous runs.. i pull 3 degrees of timing for my 125 shot of n20..

also i plan on adding a 3400 stall converter to my truck very very soon, finally found a shop to upgrade my stock one for 500 bucks plus shipping so all that i lost in low end from adding cams will be less noticable after the upgraded stall
Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevytruckguy
Toomnymods,

There are options for low end torque cams, they just aren't advertised (as much) because everyone wants big HP numbers, and that's what generally sells.

Here's a start for example:
http://speed-eng.com/store/product_i...oducts_id=8420

I bet that will give that 4.8 a nice bump in torque. Just a start, custom grinding is the way to go, but it gives you an idea of the general .050 durations you'll be looking into for low end power for towing. Also Yank TT series (truck) converters are tight, and supposedly offer stock like towing capabilities.

Quick Reply: Bottle heater and drag radials to help my HSW wet kit.