New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New here, swapping a 4.8L TT into my 05 GTO!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicklynx
I talked to a guy local here that has a 1992 4L80e out of a Chevy C3500. He only wants $200 for it. I think I'm going to buy it.

This model should link up fine to the LR4, correct?

I'll need to get something to allow my ecu to shift it, as well as a custom driveshaft, which are currently being produced so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
Any one have any answers?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Glad to see you bring the build thread over here Quick your going to get a lot more helpful advice here than on the gto site. Main recommendation is to get in contact with Kyle at KB racing for your turbo system needs hes a heck of a guy and builds one mean kit.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea actually some of the Chevy express vans come with a 4.8/4L80E combo..

They gapped the rings a lil more than stock for the heat build up, when the rings start heating up they expand, when they expand there isnt anywhere for them to go so they gouge the cyl walls. Gap them more than stock and they have more room to expand.
Hope that makes sense..

The 243s will be fine, just gonna have to watch your timing with the added CR, but it should be alot more peppy in Vacuum than the 317s.

the LS9 cam will work in the LR4, just make sure to get the right cam sprocket for that cam.. isnt it a single bolt cam? i know the older cams are 3 bolt.

Talk to KBRacing96 on here, he is a Turbo guru and can size you 2 turbos that will work for what your wanting.
Good thing about twin turbos, if you size them right, the can make alot of low end power all the way up to the moon.

4L80E and a stock converter will work with the right flexplate on the LR4.

What gears are in the GTO? i cant remember the options with 6sp or manuals..

When your all set, you should be 9s pretty easy traction permitting, along with nice driving manners.

What fuel? 93 oct?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicklynx
Any one have any answers?
Gm hasnt changed the bellhousings since the 50s i think it was..
you can link any GM trans to any GM SB.
It will work, might wanna throw a shift kit in it and your good. Alot of 10, 11 and 12 second trucks are running stock 80Es with HD2 shift kits.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

The reason they used the stock bottom end is because they wanted to see what they could throw at a stock LS motor before it blew.

The great thing about the 4.8 bottom end is that the short stroke and long rods slow down piston speed, and create a stronger crankshaft since it doesn't have as much mass to spin around.

PM me on the GTO boards. Like I said there, I am all for this project. The GTO guys share the mindset of "bigger is better," and it isn't always the case.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04stangkiller
Glad to see you bring the build thread over here Quick your going to get a lot more helpful advice here than on the gto site. Main recommendation is to get in contact with Kyle at KB racing for your turbo system needs hes a heck of a guy and builds one mean kit.
In 2 days I've received so much useful information that has helped an incredible amount.

It's kind of funny. I actually have had a pretty negative image on the truck community because every time I goto a cruise week in O.C., MD there are so many diesel trucks down there blowing their carbon all over my freshly washed car. It's really annoying, haha. In my time here I already take everything back I thought, haha.

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
They gapped the rings a lil more than stock for the heat build up, when the rings start heating up they expand, when they expand there isnt anywhere for them to go so they gouge the cyl walls. Gap them more than stock and they have more room to expand.
Hope that makes sense..
That is awesome. Would this be wise for me to do when I get my block? Should the stock pistons work just fine, or should I consider getting a forged set? I'd like to keep them the same size if possible, and maybe hone the block and gap the rings as so mentioned above? Advice?

As Muhthugga mentioned, the piston speed is slow. Should I worry about replacing the rods or should they be able to handle the abuse just fine?

the LS9 cam will work in the LR4, just make sure to get the right cam sprocket for that cam.. isnt it a single bolt cam? i know the older cams are 3 bolt.
I believe it is. I can probably just take the sprocket right off my LS2. I know it will directly swap into my LS2, so no issues there.

Talk to KBRacing96 on here, he is a Turbo guru and can size you 2 turbos that will work for what your wanting.
Good thing about twin turbos, if you size them right, the can make alot of low end power all the way up to the moon.
I've also been told to talk to Cris@KHP, but I haven't got a chance to call him.

Pretty much I just need some ideas on what to run in terms of turbo size. I plan to, with the help of my friend, weld the piping and everything ourselves, making a custom kit. A lot of work, I know, but he has done many before and he is more than okay with doing this one.

What I could use is a a good solid tuner willing to take this challenge on with me. It would probably be a good idea if the tuner can remote desktop with me, and also allow me to learn a bit under him. I want to be able to maintain this car entirely on my own after everything is back together.

4L80E and a stock converter will work with the right flexplate on the LR4.

What gears are in the GTO? i cant remember the options with 6sp or manuals..
3.46 I believe, in the A4. I think the Aussies have 3.15 or something like that.

When your all set, you should be 9s pretty easy traction permitting, along with nice driving manners.

What fuel? 93 oct?
The main attraction I like about this build is I really feel like it is a better option in terms of our traction issues. I think, combined with the 4L80e, it would give our cars a chance to get traction and pull like crazy through the rest of the gears.

As for fuel, I plan get to my stock injectors resized, probably to 80lbs. or above, that way I have the option of running 93/e85/etc. if I want to. having HPTuners at my fingertips should make things real nice and easy. If I want to run 93 pump one day and e85 the next, I can.

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
The reason they used the stock bottom end is because they wanted to see what they could throw at a stock LS motor before it blew.

The great thing about the 4.8 bottom end is that the short stroke and long rods slow down piston speed, and create a stronger crankshaft since it doesn't have as much mass to spin around.

PM me on the GTO boards. Like I said there, I am all for this project. The GTO guys share the mindset of "bigger is better," and it isn't always the case.
That is pretty incredible. Like I asked above, would it be wise to still grab a forged set of pistons, hone the block, gap the rings, and keep the stock rods?

Thank you guys a lot for all the help. This is amazing.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Teching In

I'd check with Seth at Hinson if you would need that much injector I think you would be ok with 60lb but I could be off. I'm running FAST 42's on my gto with mid 500's at the motor and 462 to the tires through a level 5 4L70E with a 3600 rpm stall. I still have plenty of injector left to go with mine being h/c/i but i woukd need to jump sizes for e85. Stock rear gear on the ls1 is 3.41
Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04stangkiller
I'd check with Seth at Hinson if you would need that much injector I think you would be ok with 60lb but I could be off. I'm running FAST 42's on my gto with mid 500's at the motor and 462 to the tires through a level 5 4L70E with a 3600 rpm stall. I still have plenty of injector left to go with mine being h/c/i but i woukd need to jump sizes for e85. Stock rear gear on the ls1 is 3.41
I plan to run pump gas, but e85 if I ever feel like taking it to the track. Also, I might be able to get ethanol for free....
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crisdg.KHP

Anymore info on this build?
What radiator?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Very extreme and I like it! welcome!

Quick Reply: New here, swapping a 4.8L TT into my 05 GTO!