New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New here, swapping a 4.8L TT into my 05 GTO!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck man I'm rootin' for ya. everyone underestimates the little 4.8... time to prove them wrong.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allenp
good luck man I'm rootin' for ya. everyone underestimates the little 4.8... time to prove them wrong.
Thanks!

Hey question about the 4L80e. Hopefully you guys will know.

If I wanted to swap into my GTO and hook to my LS2 I needed a custom torque converter and driveshaft, on top of a harness to allow the ecu to drive it.

Did the 4L80e link up to the LR4/LY2 at all in the trucks? This could potentially save me $800 bucks by NOT having to get a custom torque converter to match the LS2 and 4L80e together.

Is the LY2 the same as the LR4? Is it just as strong? I'd probably want to check into the trans options compared to the LY2/LR4 being the 24x to 58x reluctor difference.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Baltimore Whore

Seems like you have your ducks in a row and got a idea where you wana go with it. The 4.8 has proven to be a beast within the past few years. Hell if it can make a truck run mid 10's then you should have close to 9's in the bag. I would possibly think about going with a 4l80 trans though. As for heads 243's and 317's are the same other then CC chambers. The 17's will drop the compression, but also make the 4.8 a dog when not in boost. They sell header manifolds like posted, that is nothing new, but looks bad ***, but is $$$ I have a set of corvette manifolds that are basically new if you would be interested in them. Let me know. Other then that I am sure you will get plenty of info and tips on your set up.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't have much input, just want to see the finished product. This is going to be badass
Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Seems like you have your ducks in a row and got a idea where you wana go with it. The 4.8 has proven to be a beast within the past few years. Hell if it can make a truck run mid 10's then you should have close to 9's in the bag. I would possibly think about going with a 4l80 trans though. As for heads 243's and 317's are the same other then CC chambers. The 17's will drop the compression, but also make the 4.8 a dog when not in boost. They sell header manifolds like posted, that is nothing new, but looks bad ***, but is $$$ I have a set of corvette manifolds that are basically new if you would be interested in them. Let me know. Other then that I am sure you will get plenty of info and tips on your set up.
So 243's to keep compression from dropping too low? I guess under 9:1 isn't really necessary. It all makes sense now, haha. Does this engine really take that long to get into boost? I would think that the lag would be so minimal, and barely noticeable.

Did the 4L80e link up to any of the 4.8L from factory?

Last edited by Quicklynx; 02-15-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quicklynx
So why are the 243s the better forced induction option in your opinion over the 317s?

Because 317s will drop compression and those 4.8l love compression and boost.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
Don't have much input, just want to see the finished product. This is going to be badass
BTW!!! This is my beautiful baby BEFORE I spun the rod and cam bearings.

I/C/H 2005 LS2 GTO, NSSP/Kooks - YouTube

Cammed, DIY Intake, Kooks 1 3/4 Longtubes, into custom mids, stock exhaust. I tuned it myself with my HPTuners. For the turbo build I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a professional tune it that is willing to let me look over their shoulder so I can take over tuning it in the future.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Baltimore Whore

Yes the 80 will bolt up. A few things needs modded such as pcm changes, the cross member, drive shaft ect. Not much but if your looking to make that kinda power, it is the way to go. Boost is going to depend on the turbo's you plan to go with. Smaller one are going to boost sooner, but fall off a little sooner. The big ones will take longer but come on hard, carry it all the way to the red line. That will take some time to pick and set up the turbos. All is going to be based on where you want power.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Yes the 80 will bolt up. A few things needs modded such as pcm changes, the cross member, drive shaft ect. Not much but if your looking to make that kinda power, it is the way to go. Boost is going to depend on the turbo's you plan to go with. Smaller one are going to boost sooner, but fall off a little sooner. The big ones will take longer but come on hard, carry it all the way to the red line. That will take some time to pick and set up the turbos. All is going to be based on where you want power.
I'll have to find a 4L80e, and I need to get the right sized driveshaft. My guess is the stock 4L80e torque converter can also handle the punishment? Correct? Who makes a torque converter with a higher stall? that should get me into boost quicker plus should help heavily on launches.

How about slapping two of these snails on the engine to give it it's much needed CPR?
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Launching!

I talked to a guy local here that has a 1992 4L80e out of a Chevy C3500. He only wants $200 for it. I think I'm going to buy it.

This model should link up fine to the LR4, correct?

I'll need to get something to allow my ecu to shift it, as well as a custom driveshaft, which are currently being produced so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New here, swapping a 4.8L TT into my 05 GTO!