New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New here, swapping a 4.8L TT into my 05 GTO!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, swapping a 4.8L TT into my 05 GTO!

Hello Everyone. I decided to come over and join the truck forum, despite not having a truck. mainly because I want to get some good information on building up the 4.8L LR4 for a twin turbo setup into my GTO.

On the GTO forum the guys are ripping me pretty hard for wanting to do this, in fact they are literally calling me "stupid" for even thinking about it, so I decided to shoot over here and get help instead. I want to prove them wrong, and I figure the static here would be minimal, as you guys work with this motor all the time.

What is the reason for me doing a swap? I had an oil pump failure and I spun a rod bearing on my aluminum LS2 block. I'll rebuild that block one day, but I want to go forced induction, so an iron block is what I need, and the LR4 is quite appealing for what I want. ---A high revving twin turbo V8 that screams down the road.--- Yea, sounds good to me.

Since I have the LS2 now, I plan to use my ported LS2 Intake manifold/ throttle body, and fuel lines up top. I'm going to ditch the 243s and save them for another project. I do, however, have a set of 317s that need to be built. I'm not sure if these would even fit or work on the LR4, or if they would even be a better option than the 706 or 862s.Which head out of the 3 would be my best option for a twin turbo setup? If I'm not mistaken the 706/862 are pretty much the same thing, correct? I'd also need some good advice on some parts to buy for these. Update: Sticking with 243s. It was suggested because they flow better, and raise the compression a bit so the compression is not so low the motor is dogged during spool time.

From what I've been reading, this block can handle some serious abuse. I'm quite impressed, and shocked that the limiting factor out of this whole build is probably going to be my 4L65e transmission, (and possibly my LS2 manifold.) Not to fear, I plan to shove a 4L80e in it's place. The 4L80e is a monster that can take just about any abuse thrown at it, plus it's gear ratios are turbo friendly.

I noticed on the 4.8L twin turbo truck build article, "Big Bang Theory," that the bottom end was completely stock, with the only modification being the increase in gap on the top rings. What is the reasoning for them doing that?

I am going to order the block soon, so I'll see what shape it is in when I get it. If it's good to go and passes all the checks and measurements. I might just throw it in as is, slap the top end on and start going at it with the custom turbo setup.

Where are some good online shops to buy parts for the block? Every sponsor on the GTO forum did not have anything for this motor. Every piston was for a much bigger bore and every crank was 5.7L and above.
I'd also like to get rings, bearings, etc. in case I do plan to hone the block out some and put it back together.

I'm really excited to do this build. I hope you all have some good recommendations, and I will continue to browse the forum. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited by Quicklynx; 02-16-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quicklynx
Hello Everyone. I decided to come over and join the truck forum, despite not having a truck. mainly because I want to get some good information on building up the 4.8L LR4 for a twin turbo setup into my GTO.

On the GTO forum the guys are ripping me pretty hard for wanting to do this, in fact they are literally calling me "stupid" for even thinking about it, so I decided to shoot over here and get help instead. I want to prove them wrong, and I figure the static here would be minimal, as you guys work with this motor all the time.

What is the reason for me doing a swap? I had an oil pump failure and I spun a rod bearing on my aluminum LS2 block. I'll rebuild that block one day, but I want to go forced induction, so an iron block is what I need, and the LR4 is quite appealing for what I want. ---A high revving twin turbo V8 that screams down the road.--- Yea, sounds good to me.

Since I have a the LS2 now, I plan to use my ported LS2 Intake manifold/ throttle body, and fuel lines up top. I'm going to ditch the 243s and save them for another project. I do, however, have a set of 317s that need to be built. I'm not sure if these would even fit or work on the LR4, or if they would even be a better option than the 706 or 862s.

Which head out of the 3 would be my best option for a twin turbo setup? If I'm not mistaken the 706/862 are pretty much the same thing, correct? I'd also need some good advice on some parts to buy for these.

From what I've been reading, this block can handle some serious abuse. I'm quite impressed, and shocked that the limiting factor out of this whole build is probably going to be my 4L65e transmission, (and possibly my LS2 manifold.) Not to fear, I plan to shove a 4L80e in it's place. The 4L80e is a monster that can take just about any abuse thrown at it, plus it's gear ratios are turbo friendly.

I noticed on the 4.8L twin turbo truck build article, "Big Bang Theory," that the bottome end was completely stock, with the only modification being the increase in gap on the top rings. What is the reasoning for them doing that?

I am going to order the block soon, so I'll see what shape it is in when I get it. If it's good to go and passes all the checks and measurements. I might just throw it in as is, slap the top end on and start going at it with the custom turbo setup.

Just for reference, where are some good online shops to buy parts for the block? Every sponsor on the GTO forum did not have anything for this motor. Every piston was for a much bigger bore and every crank was 5.7L and above.
I'd also like to get rings, bearings, etc. in case I do plan to hone the block out some and put it back together.

I'm really excited to do this build. I hope you all have some good recommendations, and I will continue to browse the forum. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks!
Damn.. im sure the guys from GTO forum don't know what you're talking about. that thing should be just a beast once you get it done.

pm sent.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have much input but after you do it make a thread on the GTO forum posting the dyno results and fwd us the link. . .
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crisdg.KHP
Damn.. im sure the guys from GTO forum don't know what you're talking about. that thing should be just a beast once you get it done.

pm sent.
I actually was originally going to build my LS2 bottom end and stroke it to a 402ci, TT. While I was browsing for heads I stumbled upon the 4.8L and noticed it was so freaking cheap. $115 for the shortblock.

I was more so interested in the crank which can be had for $42. I was interested in the crank to make an oversquare twin turbo engine. Short crank, big bore! The 3.27" Crankshaft with 4.005" pistons. Man, that thing would be incredible, however, the custom parts needed for this, and the strength I would need to build the valvetrain up to, is just not worth it at the moment, especially twin turbo in an aluminum block.

Needless to say this idea was ripped to shreds, and for good reason. I agreed with them.

I then asked about going forced induction on the 4.8L LR4 itself, and that's when all hell broke loose. It feels like I have 3 guys on my side, and 100 against.

I almost feel like I'm running this route in spite of the discouragement, to be different and run completely off course of the "norm", and to prove this setup will work in our "heavy" cars.

Everything that is suggested is to go 402ci TT and I will crush anything on the road. I'm thinking a little outside the box here with the 4.8L build. A huge knock on the GTO is our rear end can not keep it's *** on the ground. So why make the power down low if all I'm going to do is spin? If your all's pickup trucks are running 8's with this engine, and hooking to the asphalt, this may be the better option for us.

I'm so damn excited to do this. I can't wait to get this completed.

I still need some suggestions though on the top end. Will the 317s work?

I forgot to mention I'm going to use ARP Main and Head Studs, and more than likely will use something like the LS9 head gaskets.

I will probably get a custom grind camshaft in the future, but I have a brand new LS9 camshaft. Would that work in this block? It's a blower cam but I don't see why it wouldn't work to a good level with a turbo setup. My only concern is can I even put the LS9 cam into this block?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JFOLM
I don't have much input but after you do it make a thread on the GTO forum posting the dyno results and fwd us the link. . .
I think I will be posting a thread on all the forums, even if my results are less than ideal, but I'm sure you all will want to see the reactions. I hope the reactions are ones that will put a smile on my face, haha.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Teching In

243s out flow 317s bro.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crisdg.KHP
243s out flow 317s bro.
The 317s compared to the 243s make the better forced induction head, at least i thought they did?

I was under the impression that the 243s were better for the high compression, N/A build.

I noticed a lot of turbo f-bodies running 9's/10's at the strip are running built 317s.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Wow you used actual headers as your turbo manifolds. I was just going to take the LS3 corvette/camaro manifolds and flip them. I have Kooks 1 3/4 long tubes right now, but I think they will go up in the for sale section soon.

Those heads do look familiar, haha.

So why are the 243s the better forced induction option in your opinion over the 317s?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Does the LY2 have the same strength as the LR4?

CHEVROLET GM GEN IV 4.8 LY2 SHORT BLOCK ENGINE LIKE NEW | eBay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New here, swapping a 4.8L TT into my 05 GTO!