New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

I'm such a n00b

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm such a n00b

Well I figured since I have looked around these forums long enough that it was just time for me to say, "hello." I'm a real n00b when it comes to engines and what not and I'm trying to learn this stuff but I'm not catching on just yet. I have so many quetsions and I've sent a few of you pms and most have been very helpful (love that about this forum). I want to a get a new engine for sure (currently have a 4.3L ) Would love to have 300hp/300ftlbstq in my truck but I'm not sure how to achieve that really. I have a friend who is a guru with this stuff so if you can explain to me what I need I can show him and he can put it in idiot terms. I didn't know if it was better to make mulitple threads or just sumbit one here that sums up the main points of why I am here.

Oh here is what I am working with btw

I hope to learn a lot here.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:17 AM
TECH Junkie

The easiest way to rech your goal IMO is to do a 6.0L swap.Add some longtube headers,electric fans and maybe a cold air intake.This would net you 300 easy and more than likely be a little over that mark.
Once you do this your tranny is gonna hate you in stock form so i would suggest you add the follwing to the tranny.
Get the Trans Go HD2 shift kit,vetter servo and a decent size tranny cooler.No smaller than a 24,000bui unit.
If you have any questions i'll help as much as i can just ask.
Joe
Old 04-27-2006, 04:09 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

B.S you say 300, but you wont be happy once you get there I agree the 6l is probably the most cost effective way to get there. Hell when I started all I wnated was a 14 sec Z-71. Im going for 12's next weekend. If I get 12's I just may add a little power adder (like a 100 shot or so ) then after its paid for maybe a Radix, or other S/C. Possibly Turbo??? Guess we'll see.

Post any questions you have, use the search, or PM someone. Some guys come off harsh when the same question that has been ask 1000 times gets posted, but I (as Im sure most) forgive you when they notice youre new here Just remember when posting questions, to give as much info as possible. Dont ask "what cam should I get" without stating what you want out of it, what your current mods are, future plans etc. Also anything I (personally) can help with just shoot me a pm.

BTW welcome to the site
Old 04-27-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to see you're posting now!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
The easiest way to rech your goal IMO is to do a 6.0L swap.Add some longtube headers,electric fans and maybe a cold air intake.This would net you 300 easy and more than likely be a little over that mark.
Once you do this your tranny is gonna hate you in stock form so i would suggest you add the follwing to the tranny.
Get the Trans Go HD2 shift kit,vetter servo and a decent size tranny cooler.No smaller than a 24,000bui unit.
If you have any questions i'll help as much as i can just ask.
Joe
Yeah after reading around here for a while I've figured out that people like 6.0L's. They come out of the 2500 chevy's? I've seen two different types: LQ4 and an LQ9 and the only thing I can see is that they didnt' make an LQ9 till after 2002? Something like that.........been a while since I ran across the thread that explained it.

Originally Posted by white1
B.S you say 300, but you wont be happy once you get there I agree the 6l is probably the most cost effective way to get there. Hell when I started all I wnated was a 14 sec Z-71. Im going for 12's next weekend. If I get 12's I just may add a little power adder (like a 100 shot or so ) then after its paid for maybe a Radix, or other S/C. Possibly Turbo??? Guess we'll see.

Post any questions you have, use the search, or PM someone. Some guys come off harsh when the same question that has been ask 1000 times gets posted, but I (as Im sure most) forgive you when they notice youre new here Just remember when posting questions, to give as much info as possible. Dont ask "what cam should I get" without stating what you want out of it, what your current mods are, future plans etc. Also anything I (personally) can help with just shoot me a pm.

BTW welcome to the site
I understand what you mean by people asking the same things over and over. Believe me, I've been over at Caraudio.com for 2 years now and people ask the same stuff over and over again but I try to be as nice as possible within reason. I have done some searching around here but most of the time I can find out stuff from just PMing people.

Also, the reason I say 300HP is b/c it's just an easy goal really . Don't want to say 500 or something like that, have to keep everything within a budget ya know!

Originally Posted by Z06 DREAMING
glad to see you're posting now!
thank you
Old 04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LQ9 is a higher compression 6.0, 10.1:1

The LQ4 is 9.49:1

LQ9 has flat top pistons, LQ4 has dished. The LQ9 rods are beefier and a little stronger than the LQ4, other than that the two engines are identical. LQ9's come in the Silverado SS and Cadillac Escalade. All the rest of the 6.0's are LQ4's.

The LQ4 is up to 325 hp/370 lb-ft as rated by the factory, and the LQ9 is 345 hp/380 lb-ft.

I think you're right about the first year for the LQ9....if you do a 6.0 swap avoid 99 and 00 engines, they have iron heads instead of aluminum and I think both years have longer crankshafts that won't bolt up to a later year tranny. Anything after that should be fine. I am getting ready to swap a 2005 6.0 in place of my 2001 5.3 right now.

Hope this helps!

Nice looking truck, BTW
Old 04-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for that writeup! Very very informative, I guess I'll try and find either or and hopefully it doesn't put to bad of a dent in my wallet =x.