Member Feedback Buyer/Seller references, report frauds here

Jakes performance transmissions - never again!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jakes performance transmissions - never again!

Im writing this while its still fresh in my head because its absolutely uncalled for and ridiculous.

I was building a high hp street truck with a local shop. With my build I wanted a quality transmission and through some research i found some people were having success with Jakes Performance. I discussed it with the Shops two owners and they both said that could be a nice option. He spoke to jake about my truck and ordered a Level 3 4l80e with a D3 transbrake and their triple disk billet converter. The shops two owners and I both discussed this combination multiple times that this was the combination to go with after they talked to Jake. He ordered it.

The trans came in and it was eventually installed. The shop tries to put on the converter and the input shaft was out of tolerance. They were not sure if it was their converter or the shaft but it would not click into place. They contacted Jakes Performance and they said they would fix it under warrantee. A few drove down to south florida with a car full of parts, swapped it out (shaft tolerance out of spec) and spent a few nights having fun in South Florida. Great Service!

fast forward, my truck was taking over 10 months and probably 90% finished. i was told 2-3 so I decided to pull it out of the shop and bring it to another shop to finish it. The new shop goes to install the transbrake to the shifter and there is NO transbrake....

I contact Jake via email and explained to him that I had pulled my truck from previous shop and current shop is telling me there is no transbrake in which I ordered one with the D3. At this point Jake didn't have access to order records and said he would look it up. He said to take a picture of the connector and send it to him. I sent him the picture and he said thats not a D3.

He sends me a picture of the work order that he wrote out and theres no transbrake. I call the previous shop and they said they have never ordered a trans from them without a D3 and we clearly discussed it.

At this point it is either Jake did he not write it down or the shop did not order it with a transbrake... Regardless at any finger pointing, not even sure if any went down honestly, the previous shop said they would take full responsibility for it regardless of who is at fault and pay to have it uninstalled from my truck even at the new shop, Ship it back to Jakes, have the D3 installed, and shipped back to the new shop. Trans went out on AUG17 to Jakes.

I was told specifically by the previous shops owner that he spoke directly to Jake and worked it out and that Jake said they will install the transbrake when they get it. He said it would be a quick turnaround, maybe a few days.

At this point Ive only exchange a couple emails with Jake about the connection and a picture and have not discussed with him that it will be going back to a different shop when he's done or discussed a time table. I am simply going on what the previous shop told me Jake specifically said.

Monday Aug 29 I call and spoke to Chris. I asked him if they received the trans ok and any status? He said to hang on a minute and he will find out for me! He comes back and says oh yes my transbrake guy isn't here right now but he will be back in a while and he is actually installing your transbrake today! He said it would be ready to ship in a couple days, maybe wednesday but will call me to let me know and took down my number.

The current shop my truck is at did not for-see my truck sitting on a lift and taking up space with a transmission issue shuffle back to Jakes. Regardless he is completely understanding of the situation and asked if he was going to have it this week possibly as I told him it would only be a couple of days after they get it (what i was told Jake specifically said by owner who spoke to him). I told him i called Jakes on monday and that they told me they installed it monday and are shipping it out.

Then I called today September 1st as i didn't hear back from Chris.

This is the 2nd call i have ever made to Jakes on this trans issue.. There has never been any confrontation between us or anything. I know that shops are busy and that answering a phone call by the same person twice in a week will send some loose cannon shop owners to the looney bin apparently.

I call today and a lady answers and i simply asked her if by chance the trans went out (to inform the current shop who is asking) and she said in a nutshell that they don't have any D3 transbrakes in stock and that they won't have any until next week sometime...maybe tuesday. At that point there are a lot of people in front of you so that all comes first because its priority over warrantee work.

I was dumbfounded and I just explained to her that Jake said it would only be a few days, then Chris said it was being installed on monday and shipping out and now your telling me you don't have any parts and my trans isn't a priority. She then says you will have to take that up with "Previous shop" ... ?!?!?!

This is when Jake lost his cool and went nuts.

In the background, he starts yelling "That mother-F**cker, you F**cking little B**ch and (insert previous shop) can F*ck off. Then gets on the phone and starts screaming at me and said I'm not putting any F**cking brake in your trans and I'm Putting that Sh*t on a pallet tomorrow and shipping it back to you without a transbake and do what you want with it. Don't call my F**king shop again.." he then hands the phone off and says "and block his F**cking number"

Thats what I get for spending $5k on a brand new transmission and converter that was out of tolerance to begin with and a unstable psychotic business owner who can't be wrong and would never write out a order wrong. Apparently after talking with some people in the performance industry about what just happened, they said that is the exact reason why they won't do business with him and this has happened before.

Like i said, I only called twice ever and maybe 5 cordial emails about the issue. I have gotten 3 different stories from them and then his psychotic meltdown to end it.

Lets just say I WILL NOT BE PUTTING THAT TRANS OR CONVERTER in my truck. BEWARE ALL FUTURE BUYERS, you may get "some" service but if he's under pressure trying to cover his side, he will screw you instantly. Do yourselves a favor and shop elsewhere.

If you want to do business with a owner like that who treats their customers like lint and will cuss them out on the phone screaming at you profanity, then he is your guy!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Regarding the input shaft, it is normal for the billet ones to be extremely tight, and can be awful to install the converter. Using a rubber mallet can be very helpful.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

A few drove down to south florida with a car full of parts, swapped it out
(shaft tolerance out of spec) and spent a few nights having fun in South
Florida. Great Service!
you lost me here...jakes is in texas.

ask him to send it to north texas converter. I heard that NTC helped Jake create the jake brake. they probably install the same style trans brake.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Restricted

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that... I know shop owners get a little overwhelmed sometimes, and we all have bad/horrible days, but 5k is a good chunk of change to spend with any shop. No excuse really for the way he acted, but maybe he'll make it right? I would like to think so anyways.

On a side note, who you thinking of using now?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow that is crazy.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
you lost me here...jakes is in texas.

ask him to send it to north texas converter. I heard that NTC helped Jake create the jake brake. they probably install the same style trans brake.
May want to clarify this before putting it out there and maybe someone from jakes can respond. NTC came about from a former employee of jakes but the jakes transbrake was aroubd well before ntc existed.

Also, I've personally meet Jake, nice and reasonable guy. But if above story is true, he was out of line.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
May want to clarify this before putting it out there and maybe someone from jakes can respond. NTC came about from a former employee of jakes but the jakes transbrake was aroubd well before ntc existed.

Also, I've personally meet Jake, nice and reasonable guy. But if above story is true, he was out of line.

Truck was at a reputable shop down here you could say and tried everything imaginable to get the converter on. The billet shafts are always right but they couldn't get it either so switched it out.

What I'm saying is that they drove from Texas to Florida and changed it out and spent a few days down here vacationing. Yes great service! Trust me I'm just stating facts only and will call out great service if justified or bullshit too.

He wrote a Facebook post a few hours back stating he can refuse service to whoever he wants... Then wrote a nice little story playing clueless that some Trans showed up and a I'm some sniveling spoiled brat who thinks I should have priority. WHAT?! I never, not once said anything or asked for special treatment. I was told to my face by the shop owner that he spoke with Jake and he said he would get it done in a few days, then they tell me it's going in Monday and would probably ship Wednesday and he would call me then. No call so I call back and ask for a simple update and I get "we dont have any D3 in stock and won't until next week...maybe Tuesday but then there are a lot of people ahead of you because warrantee work isnt priority" and QUOTE. I just simply said I was told Jake said a few days and that was over a week and then Chris just said he confirmed it was going in Monday and now your telling me this? Never raised my voice, nothing. She just said I need to take it up with "the shop". And that's when out of nowhere Jake had a catastrophic meltdown. I was actually speechless.. Didn't even know how to respond. I called back and she answered again and I said... Hey I'm sorry if for whatever reason he just blew up can we just calm down here and talk this out? What do you mean your not going to do it? He responded with "your not getting **** and I'm putting it in a pallet tomorrow, then tossed the phone and said "block that F**cker.... Again and that was the last convo and he posted this..

So I responded to this comment with exact details of what happened and that he's playing clueless (well aware of the situation and what was happening) and within a minute it was deleted and blocked me. Lol real class here!! Jakes records the phone calls there, let it play Jake, let's hear you losing it over asking why I've been told 3 different stories from your people.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

The performance shop spoke directly to Jake and was told it would be quick turnaround as why the shop printed a label faster than I could almost have the current shop pull it out to get it there ASAP! It was on its way out right after they spoke about the situation and the shop would foot the bill for the incovienance. Again, Jake wrote out a order form he had to go find that "didn't include Transbrake" ... He had no problem corresponding with me via email about the work order pictures and issues but all of a sudden he ceases to talk to me because I asked him why? Why he said a few days, why Chris confirmed it was going in Monday and shipped out and now you don't know when you'll get to it. I think that's a pretty fair question to ask when I spent $5k with him and had only called twice!! For him to tell me to F**ck myself and call me a little B**ch and then refuse service?

My next question is the state that the Trans is void warrantee if anyone installs their transbrake. By him refusing service that's been paid for by the previous shop, I'm stuck with a brand new Trans I can't have a brake installed because it will void the warrantee. He has basically screwed me then again I'm not putting that Trans in my truck or converter. Will be up for sale!!!!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. I was actually going to go with him for my 80e but I will be finding something local instead now if all that is true.

That whole "he's not technically our customer" is bullshit and the fact that he would talk to a customer like that is extremely unprofessional. Hope you get this all fixed as that is a lot of money whether it be your first shop or Jakes.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

I don't care who the guy is, airing dirty laundry on FB like that is totally unprofessional and the "blacklisted" comment is about as childish as it gets. Some customers would look elsewhere simply based on that.

NO D3 FOR YOU! EVER!!! trans brake soup ****

Richard

Search this Thread