INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Welp it happened - 427ci lq9 ate it

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gammey4
I switched from deka 80's to id1050x's, huge improvement.
Good to hear - I cant wait till they get here. I was a slacker this weekend and didnt work on the truck at all. Technically I have to clean the garage before I start another project so I put it off till this week. Good thing I have other vehicles to drive.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Only 5 months later and I finally got around to pulling those heads. Actually I got about halfway. I need to drop the header to get to the bolts on the head on the exhaust side. The ground got saturated with coolant so I decided to wait for it to dry to detach the collectors. I then got tired and took a nap and then it was too late - haha

I found something a little disheartening though - which really confuses me. Plug wire #7 was so disconnected that it fell off the plug when I was working in that area. which is weird because I didn't have a misfire at idle on that cylinder. Also, the header was leaking at that cylinder too - bolts came loose. Is it possible that I have cylinder 5 and 7 injector harness swapped? Because cyl 5 is where I detected the misfire.

I'm hoping the issue is ignition related - but it still doesn't explain the sound I hear at 2000-2400rpm - I'm hoping that's the header leak.

I should have the heads off this week and inspect the lifters. I also got Johnson 2116LSR's to replace the comp short travels. Hopefully I don't need new pushrods since my rockers are adjustable.

I also got some stock LS3 GM performance head gaskets at .052" thickness (replacing .040" cometics) which will change some things too and drop compression by 3 tenths - should run better on pump gas (az 91 oct) and I should still have decent quench.

I also got ID1050x's to replace the Deka's - they didn't fix the problem but at least they run a little better than the deka's even without tuning haha.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Did you have a problem with the cometics, or did you just prefer a GM gasket?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Launching!

No problems with the cometics - the gm performance are all I need and were half the cost
Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Oh and I forgot to mention, I found the oil filter from the teardown - nothing surprising was in it.

I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, my new oil cooler I installed about a month before this issue happened (even though I flushed it out) could have had some BS in it that came dislodged and caused some sort of random oil starvation issue.

We shall see this week after I get it all back together.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Aim
Teching In

What a nightmare! Good luck man
Old 01-10-2018, 01:47 AM
Launching!

So I've still been a slacker - actually busier than hell through the holidays with work and family obligations. But something I didn't mention before because i didn't think it was important. The #2 intake port was full of gasoline when I pulled the intake manifold off. I assumed that it was from the fuel rail when I removed it but after a lot of thought I'm thinking there was way too much fuel in the port than what is in the rail. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that this is my problem cylinder.

If you think about it, a collapsed lifter on the intake side wouldn't open the intake valve so the fuel would gather/puddle there. I was also noticing difficulties cranking the engine which I assumed was a low battery but now I'm wondering if it was partial hydrolock.

I'm going to get motivated this weekend and try to get down to the bottom of this issue.

Again, keep y'all posted.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could also have been a bad leaking injector. I had one that leaked so bad at idle that cylinder would not fire.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Launching!

I thought that too, but they are brand new ID1050s so i doubt it. Plus they held pressure with no noticeable leak down.

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Could also have been a bad leaking injector. I had one that leaked so bad at idle that cylinder would not fire.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Launching!

I finally pulled the passenger valve cover today

Not too happy about it - after I spent $700 on new johnson lifters - Guess I need some new rockers.