INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Toyota's are here fellas...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota's are here fellas...

I'm gonna be in the market for a new truck sometime next year and it's never too early to start your research. I saw a post of a guy who ran a 7.8 1/8 mile ET with a 5.7 reg cab Tundra, bone stock other than a 100 shot. That's 12-second territory!

I've started looking up info on the iForce 5.7's and they're pretty impressive. It seems like the VVT-i technology implemented in the 'Yota 5.7's is essentially a Honda V-TECH V8. My question is, do the iForce 5.7's benefit most from the increased amount of overlap?

Here's the vid that sparked my question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR63I...eature=related

Flame me if you want, I'm just new to engine theory and would like to open up the iForce's for discussion. I'd also like input on the pro's and cons of their new design, from a performance standpoint of course.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw a Tundra at work today and I have to say, it looks mighty impressive.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're ugly as ****. There is a terrible aftermarket for them. They are fast as **** bone stock.

Those are the 3 things I've come to learn over the past year they've been out.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RandomHero
They're ugly as ****.
Opinion

There is a terrible aftermarket for them.
Fact. But who needs an aftermarket when you can run 12's with only a 100 shot?

They are fast as **** bone stock.
I had planned on building up my current truck to be a 12-second DD. A 5.7 Tundra on dope would be just that, with around $600 invested in one mod. As opposed to a bazillion (bolt-ons, spray, TRANSMISSION, gears, posi) to get the Chevy to even sniff the 12's.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tavenner13
I had planned on building up my current truck to be a 12-second DD. A 5.7 Tundra on dope would be just that, with around $600 invested in one mod. As opposed to a bazillion (bolt-ons, spray, TRANSMISSION, gears, posi) to get the Chevy to even sniff the 12's.
True you have to spend more on chevys, but how much exactly do you plan to spend on a tundra in the first place? You can get a 5.3L rcsb silverado fun under $7k now.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

True you have to spend more on chevys, but how much exactly do you plan to spend on a tundra in the first place? You can get a 5.3L rcsb silverado fun under $7k now.
True, but you've still got the 4L60-E to keep you up at night. So tack on $3000 for a built transmission, full bolt-ons for another grand, re-gear, aftermarket Posi, custom tune, etc etc etc.

I'd say it's about even.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

True, but you've still got the 4L60-E to keep you up at night. So tack on $3000 for a built transmission, full bolt-ons for another grand, re-gear, aftermarket Posi, custom tune, etc etc etc.

I'd say it's about even.
I have less than $1500 into my transmission including the ss3200 torque converter, and it's far from a basic rebuilt. It's all about shopping around.

EDIT-Put an ls1 into a rcsb, spray it with a 150 shot and pending traction you may be close to a high 12.

The regular cab tundras are running low 14's stock so I don't see how they're responding so well to nitrous. going from a low 9 to a high 7 with just a 100 shot is hard to believe.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

I have less than $1500 into my transmission including the ss3200 torque converter, and it's far from a basic rebuilt. It's all about shopping around.

EDIT-Put an ls1 into a rcsb, spray it with a 150 shot and pending traction you may be close to a high 12.

The regular cab tundras are running low 14's stock so I don't see how they're responding so well to nitrous. going from a low 9 to a high 7 with just a 100 shot is hard to believe.
This is very true, although they're intriguing because they're an entirely different animal from the factory than the GMT800's. with the 100 shot he'd be looking at a 480hp motor, 6-speed transmission w/ manual shift mode, and 4.30's out back.

Again, the ET came from a member on the forum with no hard data to back it up, so it's up for debate for sure.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

This is very true, although they're intriguing because they're an entirely different animal from the factory than the GMT800's. with the 100 shot he'd be looking at a 480hp motor, 6-speed transmission w/ manual shift mode, and 4.30's out back.

Again, the ET came from a member on the forum with no hard data to back it up, so it's up for debate for sure.
Honestly, I think all the the style trucks tundras, silverados,sierras, f150s, and new dodges all look like ****. So I don't consider myself biased because I own a GM.

Second I think that yes from the factory they are very impressive. However, I don't think you can compare them to a stock silverado seeing as how GM is to dumb to offer a truck with any kind of *****. The reason behind it is the damn 4 speed automatics. Think it our trucks had just one extra gear and came with 4.30s from the factory. Gas mileage wouldn't be affected, but the low end would be great in stock form. Think if all silverados came with ls6s bone stock. Then the tundra doesn't seem so impressive.

I remember seeing that same post you saw, although i can't find it now to save my life. I'm not calling anyone a liar yet, but it seems very unusually that he could run such a time on stock tires, with just a 100 shot.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I think all the the style trucks tundras, silverados,sierras, f150s, and new dodges all look like ****. So I don't consider myself biased because I own a GM.

Second I think that yes from the factory they are very impressive. However, I don't think you can compare them to a stock silverado seeing as how GM is to dumb to offer a truck with any kind of *****. The reason behind it is the damn 4 speed automatics. Think it our trucks had just one extra gear and came with 4.30s from the factory. Gas mileage wouldn't be affected, but the low end would be great in stock form. Think if all silverados came with ls6s bone stock. Then the tundra doesn't seem so impressive.

I remember seeing that same post you saw, although i can't find it now to save my life. I'm not calling anyone a liar yet, but it seems very unusually that he could run such a time on stock tires, with just a 100 shot.
GM sucks *** with their 70's technology 700R4 transmission they are sticking in every vehicle they make, right up until they get the fork stuck in them.

Quick Reply: Toyota's are here fellas...