INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

replacing camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Preston129
That's the first time I've seen that ls1howto site and it's really informative.

what are you guys using to compress the valve springs? would anything that works on an LS1/LS6 head work on a gen IV 5.3 as well? I've seen the More perf. one that TR sells, the crane one that is hard to find as well as some LSM racing ones that are a bit more expensive.

And what's a good tool to use to lock the flywheel when taking off the crank pulley? will any universal flywheel lock work on a 65e tranny?

sorry for all the banal questions, but this new engine tech has me a bit intimidated.
Vinci might have that Crane spring compressor.... www dot vincihiperformance dot com. I highly recommend this tool if you can get your hands on it, it's the best and I've just about used them all. (this is when doing the springs with the heads on the engine)

I've used the More tool (that's the aluminum one that looks kinda like a rocker arm right?) it sucks unless you can hold perfectly still, as it slips sideways, especially when doing the rear springs against the firewall where you can't get directly on the tool and put your body weight over it.

Originally Posted by anasasisxenophontis
I used a pneumatic spring compressor....looks pretty much like a giant c clamp that pushes against the face of the valve and the top of the spring. Swapped all springs in like 5 minutes
I've used those, while building heads on the bench...won't do a whole lot of good with the heads on the engine in the truck though lol. If you don't have access to an air compressor, they sell the big c-clamp style that are manual and work sorta like big vise grips. I've used them also and they work well.