PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   replacing camshaft (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/replacing-camshaft-451478/)

smokeshow 11-09-2009 06:53 AM

replacing camshaft

I just bought an LPE GT-7 to replace my stock cam in an Gen IV 5.3L. The cam data sheet says I may need an installation kit because the GEN IVs have a single bolt camshaft...but its a little ambiguous. Am I going to need this kit to make the switch? Also, I'm pretty sure it has the same base lobe diameter, but will my stock pushrods work with the new cam? Thanks.

TURBHOE 11-09-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by anasasisxenophontis (Post 4328738)
I just bought an LPE GT-7 to replace my stock cam in an Gen IV 5.3L. The cam data sheet says I may need an installation kit because the GEN IVs have a single bolt camshaft...but its a little ambiguous. Am I going to need this kit to make the switch? Also, I'm pretty sure it has the same base lobe diameter, but will my stock pushrods work with the new cam? Thanks.

you need to find out if you have D.O.D. if you do then i believe you have to replace the lifters for those cylinders for the new cam. then you will need a ls2 cam sproket for the cam. it has the sensor "bumps" same as the single bolt sproket but it has the 3bolt holes like the cam needs. as for the lifters the dod ones won't handle the lift and i think you may have to change the lifter retainers also. you also need to look into springs before you do all this too. i believe sdpc has a cam swap kit for the newer motors like yours.

Silvy6.0 11-09-2009 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 4.8T (Post 4328769)
you need to find out if you have D.O.D. if you do then i believe you have to replace the lifters for those cylinders for the new cam. then you will need a ls2 cam sproket for the cam. it has the sensor "bumps" same as the single bolt sproket but it has the 3bolt holes like the cam needs. as for the lifters the dod ones won't handle the lift and i think you may have to change the lifter retainers also. you also need to look into springs before you do all this too. i believe sdpc has a cam swap kit for the newer motors like yours.

All is correct!!!

smokeshow 11-09-2009 03:16 PM

It does have DOD...I was under the impression that it just needed to be disabled via tune for the cam to work in the engine. What makes the DOD lifters so different from conventional lifters? As for the cam installation kit, do I just need to swap the sprocket?
I've got springs on order, though---I know I need those. They are the LS6 beehive springs.

TURBHOE 11-09-2009 03:34 PM

the lifters are made different. and the valley cover needs to be changed i think. ther are some magazine write ups you could search for. gm high tech just did one a few months back. either way the sprocket has to be swapped yes.

smokeshow 11-09-2009 04:08 PM

Ok, so recap on what I need...

lifters, lifter retainers, cam sprocket. possibly shorter pushrods?

I contacted Lingenfelter about the GT-7 and it supposedly has a larger base circle than my current cam. So my thinking is shorter pushrods...
I kind of wish there was just a manual for my engine lol, like an illustrated parts breakdown. How can I know for sure what's in the LY5? It's all speculation at this point, I feel like I am taking shots in the dark in shopping for parts here.

banker099 11-09-2009 04:56 PM

cam swap in a DOD engine is a PIA!!

TURBHOE 11-09-2009 07:04 PM

there kinda is a IPB in the gmhightech mag i'll go see what month it was.

smokeshow 11-09-2009 11:53 PM

Cool. I did see an article on removing DOD from a Pontiac G8 for a cam swap, but the article was pretty short.
So I'll probably go with LS7 lifters and that cam installation kit from LPE. Do I need a lifter-specific lifter retainer, like from an LS7? And what is the consensus on needing shorter pushrods...yes or no?

TURBHOE 11-10-2009 08:47 AM

the lifter retainers and lifters come with the sdpc kit i believe. just have to call them. and i'm not sure on the push rods. the g8 one is the one i was talking about. it was a good read in the mag not sure why it was short online.