INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Please identify internal engine pinging.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Please identify internal engine pinging.

Please identify internal engine pinging.

The engine 07 5.3 h6 L33 these noises at ignition is a different than the pinging while running.

I thought it was the afm #1 lifter that I relaced (alone w/ all other odd #ed cylinder)7K miles ago. Seams like the valve spring is being pressed as it should. Suggestions on the next step. Besides the ping engine she’s still a nice ride.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Kinda sounds like something is being beat up by the flexplate. I've heard cracked flex plates make a real bad knocking noise.

If that was a rod bearing you'd think you'd hear it all the time on whatever cylinder is going bad.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FFDP
Kinda sounds like something is being beat up by the flexplate. I've heard cracked flex plates make a real bad knocking noise.

If that was a rod bearing you'd think you'd hear it all the time on whatever cylinder is going bad.
the vehicle was stuck in mud recently don't 4L60e trans have a torque converter dust cover?
could I have packed soft mud up and some got past the dust cover dried up and is now bouncing off of flywheel?
thanks
Old 05-04-2021, 07:19 AM
Launching!

I think you're right about something contacting w/ flywheel upon ignition that fluttering sound.

when you say "flexplate is the the same as flywheel correct? or is flexplate something else?like a plate that covers/protects underneth? remember this vehicle is new to me only 4 years 7K miles.thats after the previous lifter swap gone bad.
I thought the cata lic converter was clogged.

however there's 2 differnt noise the pinging (from or around cylinder 1) is what I'm concerned w/ .I suspect lifter nock, like do lifters nock. I recently swapped all driver side AFM lifter an the regular lifters . I was told to reuse the orginal cam because the bottom of lifters roller wasn't damaged.
7K miles later and a long redline tires burn down to get her unstuck we have these weird noises really sucks becauce she was running strong pior to be stuck in mud the burn out was like 3-4 minutes misery ended w/ a broke trans. shifter bushing. dam.

is there a cover that could have gotten bent inward, I don't remember actually bottoming out mainly just spary mud everywhere.
that's why I thought mud got packed inside a dust cover. sorry not humor.

I've gotten my TA stuck the rocking motion while she was basicelly bottomed out spinning she was acteulley packing mud inside the frame rail though trailer hitch mount holes.

it took me years to figure out that rattle the mud ***** dried up looked like a petrofied rock bounceing and nocking inside the frame rail dam. found it by accident was at the muffler shop having some welding and I was looking as usalle.

this problem is internal engine. guess it's time to stripe the rockers,pushrods, in video they seam fine.so I need advice before proceding.
w/ a junk yard or ebay or local engine opitions she can't be trusted in this condition.
thanks

Last edited by thebrain; 05-04-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:18 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Have you bumped the starter to get each lifter off the cam lobe (no spring pressure) and wiggle for looseness? Pushrods can get bent, springs brake, rockers crack, wear or even come lose. Using gloves and a folded up shop rag I've found bad lifters pushing on each rocker arms push rod side during idle... the noise changes or goes away (do this at your own risk). Are you getting oil to each rocker? In the video they looked dry but it's hard to see on a monitor.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedXray
Have you bumped the starter to get each lifter off the cam lobe (no spring pressure) and wiggle for looseness? not yet I'm doing this on my own can I turn the crank to get inbetween intake and exhaust right?> Pushrods I'll thoughly check all that stuff I know that the roller needle bearings in the LS rockers are prone to spilling I bet that's a easy identifier. I acteuly have a spare set of like new 1.7oem rockers.can get bent I'll roll each PR on glass, springs brake, rockers crack, wear or even come lose.

Using gloves and a folded up shop rag I've found bad lifters pushing on each rocker arms push rod side during idle... the noise changes or goes away (do this at your own risk). Are you getting oil to each rocker? I can take a close up video or will I see oil oozing out don't want to run her for to long In the video they looked dry but it's hard to see on a monitor.
response in bold thanks for advice
Old 05-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Launching!

I think the valves where both up went to wiggle each seamed nice & tight didn't observe a broken spring. let her run a bit more for oiling close up . did you see oiling ,
notice how she speeds up the knocking at end of both videos dam.

if yes to oiling, so what's next removing inspecting rockers? I'm starting to think this isn't rod knock I hope, do lifters knock, dam again.
let me know if the video needs to be extended didn't want to risk ruining even more stuff dam.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:18 PM
100% Redneck

Video is set to "private" can't view.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:00 PM
Launching!

I had it to public .should work now.

removed cylinder #1 rockers both where fine like all the needle bearing where still inside rocker.

removed both push rods and they both rolled nice on the battery, either is bent or bogored I also blew air from my mouth so either are clogged.should I continue removing/inspecting.

Last edited by thebrain; 05-04-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:25 PM
100% Redneck

You're not getting much oil pressure to the top at all. I can see multiple rockers that are not oiling through the pushrod orifice. Notice the oil pressure gauge when you first start the engine. It stays on zero pressure while you're getting that loud deep knock. As the pressure finally builds and jumps up on the gauge the deep loud knocking goes away. Does not look good to me from seeing that video. Did you say you had to punish the engine revving for 3 to 4 minutes trying to get unstuck... or was I misinterpreting your post?

Quick Reply: Please identify internal engine pinging.