INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Please identify internal engine pinging.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 12:33 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Take a closer look at that front valve spring. It appears to be flopping around in the video like it might be broke near the base.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

It’s fucked.

Do a compression test. You’ll find your issue. I’d be willing to bet that you have at least 1 busted ring land.

Or I can continue to shake my magic 8 ball……
Old 05-05-2021, 07:03 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
You're not getting much oil pressure to the top at all. I can see multiple rockers that are not oiling through the pushrod orifice. could the holes in the push rods be obstructed w/ sluge or flithy oil #1 PR in #1 cylider outter PR was tarnished w/ hot burnt oil.Notice the oil pressure gauge when you first start the engine.yes I noticeIt stays on zero pressure while you're getting that loud deep knock. As the pressure finally builds and jumps up on the gauge the deep loud knocking goes away. Does not look good to me from seeing that video. Did you say you had to punish the engine revving for 3 to 4 minutes trying to get unstuck... or was I misinterpreting your post ?
yes you understand correctly beath blow 3-4minute redline burn down tires in moist mud. probably finished her off.
I see engines on ebay for around $1500. +ship
I see engines on KLQ for $3K +ship
there is a pull a part rarely see 6.0s not sure about 5.3s availability.
thanks I'll be looking closely at all valve train.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Take a closer look at that front valve spring. It appears to be flopping around in the video like it might be broke near the base.

I remove and inspect can a broken valve won't put porper pushing force on rod thus no oiling?am I understanding correctly.
I have the LS1 crane double valve spring compresor. tool I also have some old leftover (if I can find) LS1 orginale springs to swap in.
thanks.

Originally Posted by madmann26
It’s fucked.dam I hate that when this happens

Do a compression test. You’ll find your issue. I’d be willing to bet that you have at least 1 busted ring land.

Or I can continue to shake my magic 8 ball……
I realy need some tools like this and a fuel presure. I do have FP on my car that can be used for testing other vehicles. thanks on compression test will report back if it comes to something internal.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:22 PM
Launching!

haven't done compression test yet . yet to get tool.can this test be done on a engine bolted to a pallet I'm thinking yes.
II tryed to take a closeup of cylinder 1.
I didn't see a cracked spring.

looking around for a large sockect & breaker I think the crank bolt is 25mm so I can turn over. get her inbetween intake & exhaust. thanks Guys for advice.anyone in the centrel AL Montgomery area w/ a good running 5.3 L33.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by thebrain
haven't done compression test yet . yet to get tool.can this test be done on a engine bolted to a pallet I'm thinking yes.
II tryed to take a closeup of cylinder 1.
I didn't see a cracked spring.

looking around for a large sockect & breaker I think the crank bolt is 25mm so I can turn over. get her inbetween intake & exhaust. thanks Guys for advice.anyone in the centrel AL Montgomery area w/ a good running 5.3 L33.

https://youtu.be/3lCB1oE7Jfw
It's a 24mm hex head on the crankshaft bolt.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Launching!

I looked around for the valve spring compressor tool haven’t found.

Confused on the year 07 must be the 58 teeth reluctor wheel correct.

This ebaylooks OK. at top it says 05-06 replacement at the bottom it says 05-07.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29415171217...4AAOSwax5Yq15q

I see this https://www.ebay.com/itm/32459162386...EaAqtrEALw_wcB

They say 07 but then call it a L59.

I’d like to do business w/ specialized junk yard or simiaril in centrel Alabama area. I believe Calera ,AL has a bunch of junk yards.

Thanks madman on wrench size.

If I can’t find either 24sockect or spring compressor I’ll have to order again. plus the compresion

Xray yes I now see there isn’t if any oil oozing out the top of push rod.

When I’m sorted out w/ tools I’ll continue. What do you guys think of the ebay engines?

I did see a LQK for I think $799.no link yet was different that the regular LQK website.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:22 PM
Launching!

dam engines at pull a part are kindof inexpensive like $300. plus core at a junk yard? add $55. still cheap.

since these vehicles don't have keys or batterys what to do starter jump box, the jumper the starter to see if she cranks can the fuel sys. operate w/ a none pressurized tank just to see if she cranks.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

No reason to replace the motor if its just a broken spring. I broke 4 at one time and replaced all 16 without pulling the heads in my garage. Just need a good air compressor, a spring compression tool, and a good strong magnet just in case 💪.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:20 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by darkirish63
No reason to replace the motor if its just a broken spring. I broke 4 at one time and replaced all 16 without pulling the heads in my garage. Just need a good air compressor, a spring compression tool, and a good strong magnet just in case 💪.
I agree...
but this motor sounds terminal. That loud knocking with zero oil pressure for the first few seconds and multiple dry rocker arms. The OP stating he held the throttle wide open three to four minutes with little load and surely bouncing off the limiter...
Old 05-07-2021, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
I agree...
but this motor sounds terminal. That loud knocking with zero oil pressure for the first few seconds and multiple dry rocker arms. The OP stating he held the throttle wide open three to four minutes with little load and surely bouncing off the limiter...
Good point...might be time for a 427 swap

Quick Reply: Please identify internal engine pinging.