INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Motor buildup, questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor buildup, questions

After changing the cam and heads on my LQ4, I had a cam bearing fail, resulting in disaster. I ended up having to change the engine and got a used LQ9 which has been bulletproof so far. But now I have my old engine in the garage with a brand new set of comp 7.4 rods, aluminum heads with Z06 springs, and everything I need to put an engine together. I haven't decided yet what to do with the engine, but I either want to build it up and sell it to my boss at the shop I work at in the summer or I want to put it in my brothers old 2 door tahoe. Ideally, I would probably like to sell it, that way I don't lose any of the money I used to buy the parts for the cam install and I could pay my dad back faster, since he is expecting me to pay him back for the new engine in my truck. I would like some input as to what direction I might take as far as rebuilding this engine to produce some decent power without having to break the bank. I was thinking a 212/218 cam as I could make a little more power and utilize the Z06 springs I already have. My stock rockers seem fine, but I definately will replace the lifters and put on a heavy duty timing chain. As for the bottom end, I have to take it all apart and put new bearings in. Should I stay with stock pistons from an LQ4 or LQ9, or should I upgrade, and if so, to what. What should I do about rods? Stock, or upgrade. Would it be cheaper for me to rebuild the whole bottom end, bearings, rods, crank, pistons, rings, cylinder sleeves, or just sell my bottom end and get a 6.0L block with pistons already installed?

Also, changing the cam and heads on my truck wasn't too hard for me, just time consuming. Is messing around with the bottom end a lot harder?