INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LS1 short block questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the tare down also, mine had 75k and the rings looked new but the bearing had enuf wear that there was copper showing also. Its cheap and ease to do, however over on tech the hole rod resizeing seems to be a bid deal when going with arps, I didnt do it to mine but it sounds like quite a few peaple have seen problems by not doing it on these ls1s.. Wearing the bearings then loosing oil psi at the hi rpm and spinning rod bearings. Might be something you should cheack out..
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake99
I agree with the tare down also, mine had 75k and the rings looked new but the bearing had enuf wear that there was copper showing also. Its cheap and ease to do, however over on tech the hole rod resizeing seems to be a bid deal when going with arps, I didnt do it to mine but it sounds like quite a few peaple have seen problems by not doing it on these ls1s.. Wearing the bearings then loosing oil psi at the hi rpm and spinning rod bearings. Might be something you should cheack out..
Thats a little scary lol. I got ARP rod bolts for mine (thanks kacey)... I need to let the guy that is building my LS1 know this.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I didn't resize mine either. It's fine just have to not be an idiot. Most people that have had problems tried to do it in the car. Kaltech doesn't require resizing, but thats only cause they wrote better install instructions to include with their product then ARP. But thats cause they havn't got burned by Joe "backyard" Tech yet...
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luke03
I agree on the tearing it down and re ringing it and putting new bearings in it.

The 70k mile 04 LS1 i got had a couple of little copper spots on the cam bearings so its being torn down and rebuilt. Might as well do it right while you can so you (hopefully lol) don't have to take it out for a long time again

Sounds like we will have very similar setups
yes, very close, but with some differences. I am rethinking the cam, and head mill too.
Originally Posted by budhayes3
Good idea Luke, but just so you know, copper showing on the GENIII cam bearings is quite common and considered normal, just about every one that I've seen torn down has looked that way. I still agree with rebuilding your mill though
yes sir, I am going to inspect it sunday, and take it back to my shop for a tear down and inspection. then ball hone to get cross hatches back, then new rings and rod bearings and arp bolts, and procomp head studs, ls2 chain, ls7 lifters and new trays.

question now is what rings, and rod bearings? clevite, or stock, and for rings, perfect circle, plasma, molly, napier, or stock iron rings????

stock rings seem to last a long time, rod bearings not so much.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was told that the stock pistons are not good for re-ringing,gotta remember the ls motors have the "piston slap".
meaning the piston and rings are not a perfect fit from the factory.
so find a good piston and ring "STOCK" ball hone the cylinders and go with it.
or do a full rebuild