INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LS1 short block questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:39 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 short block questions....

I am looking at a 80k mile LS1 short block that needs one piston and rod replaced due to broken valve spring and valve hit the piston a few times. The inner spring kept it from going all the way, but I would like to replace the one piston and rod with a like wise 80k mile piston and rod. I am not looking to drop it off at a machine shop, just a slight rebuild.

questions are...

Should I just run the other pistons like they are, or re ring them all(like I would like to do?

can I just ball hone the cylinder walls to get the cross hatch back, and put stock rings back on them all?

What prep work has to be done for molly or napier top rings?

I am going to put arp rod bolts in the stock rods like I did to my 5.3, but what about rod bearings? new stock bearings or clevite?

thanks guys
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the cyl wall scored or affected from this?? IMO while you have the thing out, I would re ring it just for good measure.. No problem in ball honing the cylinders imo..
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Is the cyl wall scored or affected from this?? IMO while you have the thing out, I would re ring it just for good measure.. No problem in ball honing the cylinders imo..
no, it just has some valve contact dings in top of the piston. no damage otherwise. I would like to just re ring them all, and re bearing it and run the **** out of it!!lol. with a set of 799 heads and my 226/230/112+4 should be a torquey bitch....
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fastrt
no, it just has some valve contact dings in top of the piston. no damage otherwise. I would like to just re ring them all, and re bearing it and run the **** out of it!!lol. with a set of 799 heads and my 226/230/112+4 should be a torquey bitch....
best plan yet!!!

then again if the dings arent that bad just go with it?

but i like your post redo it all
Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by skeet
best plan yet!!!

then again if the dings arent that bad just go with it?

but i like your post redo it all
might as well, new rings are cheaper than having to tear it apart later.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I ususally advocate not fixing things that aren't broken. I gotta say in this case I would tear it down. I think it would be prudent to take it apart build it up strong the first time and be done with it... I am jealous I really wish I had an aluminium block!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by MPFD
While I ususally advocate not fixing things that aren't broken. I gotta say in this case I would tear it down. I think it would be prudent to take it apart build it up strong the first time and be done with it... I am jealous I really wish I had an aluminium block!
yeah, I would agree. but it seems a lot of ls1's have had problems due to their age and how long they sit. I hope the aluminium block works out
Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Definitely take it all the way down, have the cylinders honed, new rings, and bearings inspected. If the bearings look good you can run with them, but I'd put new cam bearings in since the block will be torn down and cam bearings aren't that expensive.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on the tearing it down and re ringing it and putting new bearings in it.

The 70k mile 04 LS1 i got had a couple of little copper spots on the cam bearings so its being torn down and rebuilt. Might as well do it right while you can so you (hopefully lol) don't have to take it out for a long time again

Sounds like we will have very similar setups
Old 03-04-2011, 04:16 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Good idea Luke, but just so you know, copper showing on the GENIII cam bearings is quite common and considered normal, just about every one that I've seen torn down has looked that way. I still agree with rebuilding your mill though

Quick Reply: LS1 short block questions....