INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

L33 mild build

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, just a little update. ordered a ton of parts today. everything from pistons, rods, gaskets to lifters. Waiting on the rotating assembly pieces to come in now so i can take it to the machine shop. Starting to get a little excited about it now. I still have to get the heads worked over and get my cam, AI will be taking care of the valvetrain side. I went with the Morel 5315 lifters, any thoughts on those??

Also some of this stuff was bought from BT and he answered all my questions and helped me through everything, good customer service.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Good Deal!!!

Never heard anything bad about those lifters. BT certainly wouldn't steer you wrong either.

Keep us posted!
Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks brick, he was helpful and answered all my questions. Since you were pretty informative on the topic, and you know the goal of the engine. I am going to tell the machine shop to check my decks and how much the pistons stick out of the bore. Do you think I should tell him to shoot for .010" out of the bores? I figure that will help a lot with compression and I wont have to mill much from the heads with the stock gasket.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by 01silvy
Thanks brick, he was helpful and answered all my questions. Since you were pretty informative on the topic, and you know the goal of the engine. I am going to tell the machine shop to check my decks and how much the pistons stick out of the bore. Do you think I should tell him to shoot for .010" out of the bores? I figure that will help a lot with compression and I wont have to mill much from the heads with the stock gasket.
I would go that route. Shot for .010 above the deck. This will also ensure the deck is true and even as well as give you a good quench for a street motor.

Will you Still be sending the heads to AI?

It looks like the standard 219cc program they can go 60cc-72cc on the chamber.

On the High Compression 219cc option they weld the chambers and they can go any where from 52-64cc
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, im shooting for .010" out of the bores then. But yep i am still sending them to AI. I was actually going to email him soon and talk about the bent valve issue i found upon tearing them down to see what kind of price we are talking about now to go through the heads good. I havent really tried to figure out the compression ration yet cause i will have to see if the machine shop will get by pistons .010" out of the bores first. Whenever i find out exactly what the machine shop has done with the block i will email AI and see what he thinks we will have to mill off of the heads.

Why were you asking about me sending the heads to AI Brick? Anymore thoughts? I am fully open to all info/tips i can get.

Thanks guys
Old 09-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

ok, im shooting for .010" out of the bores then. But yep i am still sending them to AI. I was actually going to email him soon and talk about the bent valve issue i found upon tearing them down to see what kind of price we are talking about now to go through the heads good. I havent really tried to figure out the compression ration yet cause i will have to see if the machine shop will get by pistons .010" out of the bores first. Whenever i find out exactly what the machine shop has done with the block i will email AI and see what he thinks we will have to mill off of the heads.

Why were you asking about me sending the heads to AI Brick? Anymore thoughts? I am fully open to all info/tips i can get.

Thanks guys
Originally you mentioned sending them there. I was looking at sending another set of heads to them to be re-worked as well.

I had some 862 heads done already by some one local to me for my Iron L33, but I decided I wanted to go a different route with my head selection.

I believe I am going to get a set of 241 heads re-done.

Not many CNC Porters have a program or even work with the 241's these days.

After looking around, I believe AI will be the best bang for my buck.

I will most likely have a new set of OEM sized 2.00/1.55 stainless valves installed Vs. re-using the OEM valves and use a BTR Spring package.

For me the valves is Just a matter of personal preference. There is nothing wrong with a set of reconditioned OEM valves when they are done correctly.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Originally you mentioned sending them there. I was looking at sending another set of heads to them to be re-worked as well.

I had some 862 heads done already by some one local to me for my Iron L33, but I decided I wanted to go a different route with my head selection.

I believe I am going to get a set of 241 heads re-done.

Not many CNC Porters have a program or even work with the 241's these days.

After looking around, I believe AI will be the best bang for my buck.

I will most likely have a new set of OEM sized 2.00/1.55 stainless valves installed Vs. re-using the OEM valves and use a BTR Spring package.

For me the valves is Just a matter of personal preference. There is nothing wrong with a set of reconditioned OEM valves when they are done correctly.
Gotcha, i am deff sending mine to AI for a good workover. I am just waiting to see how much the machine shop sets me back since i am wanting to get the blocked decked now. I was considering just telling him to swap all new OEM valves in the head and start fresh because as bad as that one valve is bent i know i want all the guides changed and figured i might as well do valves too. There is no telling what was those heads were put through lol
Old 09-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Gotcha, i am deff sending mine to AI for a good workover. I am just waiting to see how much the machine shop sets me back since i am wanting to get the blocked decked now. I was considering just telling him to swap all new OEM valves in the head and start fresh because as bad as that one valve is bent i know i want all the guides changed and figured i might as well do valves too. There is no telling what was those heads were put through lol
The guides are actually pretty tough in these heads. I would let them inspect them first.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i just dont wanna risk any problems 10k-20k miles later if it could have been avoided. I will ask him to check the heads over really good before i dump a lot of parts in them anyway. I told you that on the valve that was bent really bad that half of the guide came out with the seal. So i know that guide and valve will have to be replaced.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another question guys... I have to replace a knock sensor to pass inspection in the next couple months and i wanted to go ahead and swap in my new injectors that i wanted to run with my build. Would 38 LB. injectors supply enough fuel for this build? Also could i go ahead and install these injectors when i replace my knock sensors and just have Justin make the changes in the tune and run those 38lb injectors with just bolt ons? Thanks guys

Quick Reply: L33 mild build