INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Harmonic Balancer broke and Damaged the Crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mra2t
So just an update for everyone I pressed on another balancer and got a new bolt from my local dealership. I used medium Loctite and my buddy's impact to torque it down. Well I was driving to work the other day and the bolt somehow backed out again and the new balancer broke off the crank again. Im not sure what to do now should I try to press a third balancer on there or just pull the motor and replace the crankshaft.
The impact you are using might not be strong enough to get it tight enough, I would be curious if the harborfreight impact that most people probably have can get to 240 ftlb's. I had someone tell me to use an impact on mine and the same thing happened, bolt back out.

I wound up getting a Kent-Moore Fly Wheel Holder tool to torque it to spec but I think the damage was already done. A couple of years later I spun the front main bearing.

I purchased my truck new and had it Supercharged with a kit the dealership installed so that it would be covered under the factory warranty. The truck was in for service and while they had it the balancer rolled off on them and they replaced the crank automatically.

Not to sound insensitive to your situation but based on my experience the pin has been pulled on the grenade...twice.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So just an update for everyone I pressed on another balancer and got a new bolt from my local dealership. I used medium Loctite and my buddy's impact to torque it down. Well I was driving to work the other day and the bolt somehow backed out again and the new balancer broke off the crank again. Im not sure what to do now should I try to press a third balancer on there or just pull the motor and replace the crankshaft.
Do you know how much tq the impact can produce. A lot of impacts are not strong enough to crank it down 240lbft. When I put my stock balancer back on I wedged it with a crow bar and cranked my ARP bolt down to 230-240ftlbs with a 3ft breaker bar, checked it with my 3ft tq wrench, and it actually bottomed out, but 20K miles later it is still in there.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m not saying that it’s the best possible solution, but if your crank snout is a little wore down so that the balancer is no longer a somewhat press-fit after all these events and you can get a new balancer installed and the threads are in good enough condition to properly torque down, I would suggest to also install a pinning kit like you would normally do for a supercharged application. By doing so, it will keep the balancer and bolt from trying to spin and back off.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great of all the years and motors I've touched with buddy's- reused some, replaced some depending on there funds-

Hope mine doesn't come loose with the magnacharger, I have yet to pin the crank.....
Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

yep, I had to pin mine after I wore my crank down a little on my old crew cab. I lost 3 balancers, once I pinned it, it was fine. Thats probably your easiest and best route.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replys guys that s kinda the route i was thinking to press a third one on a pin it before i decide to pull the motor. And the impact i used was at my buddies tire shop its pretty strong not sure how much torque it can put out though. Do you guys recommend the pin kit that pins from the side or the one that pins from the front washer.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This exact same thing happened to my buddy a couple weeks ago also. He has a tbss. Crank bolt came out and lost the balancer. When he was reinstalling the balancer. It was loose on the crank. He ended up keying it. Someone makes a key kit so you dont have to pull the engine. Its a 2 piece balancer.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replys guys that s kinda the route i was thinking to press a third one on a pin it before i decide to pull the motor. And the impact i used was at my buddies tire shop its pretty strong not sure how much torque it can put out though. Do you guys recommend the pin kit that pins from the side or the one that pins from the front washer.
I'm sure he has a clicker tq wrench, I would wedge the balancer and check the tq after running it down with an impact, just for a piece of mind, then you will for sure know the problem is not the bolt if it happens again.