INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

engine swap, how hard can it be???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not that hard to get the bellhousing bolts out. There is one on each side that are hard to get but with the intake off its cake to get the rest off. The very bottom ones that go into the oil pan just get em out by getting under the truck. No need to pull the trans if you arent replacing it. I prefer a cherry picker with a leveler bar so you can tilt the motor back and forth to get it out easier. You also have to ahve a special damn socket to get the oil pressure sending unit of the back of the block so you dont crush it when removing it. The list goes on and on. Oh and taking the clutch fan off if it has never been off is a "fun" experience
Old 02-15-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, ya ima definately need help with all this, i think ima take your offer cody
Old 02-15-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm having weird engine noises. I MIGHT be swapping sometime soon. I won't hesitate to undertake the swap... Someone said something about having bad luck with their truck. So do the shops. You are just not there to see it and deal with it and usually they will rig something to get it done which you won't because its your truck.

Something nobody has mentioned. Take pictures. Amazing how little things like which way a wire or hose is routed will throw you.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=KySilverado]Someone said something about having bad luck with their truck. So do the shops. You are just not there to see it and deal with it and usually they will rig something to get it done which you won't because its your truck.QUOTE]
Ya im the one with bad luck with my truck, ya thats true im sure the shops also bootleg **** that i cant see but i know if i do it i will make sure it gets done right since it is my truck
Old 02-19-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

just think of it this way:

If you do it, and put everything back together and you have parts left over, but everything still works, you have just figured out a way to make it more efficient!

Haha I dont think it could be that difficult I replaced a couple motors before and you just need to make sure you mark stuff and have a manual that you can refer to. I might be putting a 6.0 in my truck soon too.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Launching!

hey dry kill another alternative is coming down here to the valley my friend just did his swap and it cost him 375 dollars with the cam installed the guy that does this work has done several already and i was surprised at how fast he is we took him my friends truck new motor and the cam and springs and he finished it in one day now that is fast service one day to swamp out motors and he also did the cam and springs and then during the week he did to more conversions with cam and springs as well eacl in a days of work not bad price IMO so take out your calculaterand sum up the expenses;
motor and cam swamp 375
about 100 bucks of gas both ways
and 25 bucks for food
=500 and you can do this on a weekend like I said this guy takes only one day to do the conversion and cam swamp
shoot me a p.m. if you want more info
besides your only 6 hours away and you will be saving at least 1000 dollars
Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tooooo fast. Leads to hurry and mistakes and/or shortcuts.

(don't you remember the old story about the two bulls standing on the hill.... a young bull and an old bull?)
Old 02-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Launching!

no not in this case this guy has done several trucks in the past 3 to 4 months he is fast and very good at what he does the reason he is not as high priced as others is because of the small town he is in and I have seen him work he doest jack around just gets to it and finishes his work, another buddie of mine took his truck elsewhere and it took twice the money and almost a week and i can asuer you they were probably jacking around, besides it is not as time consuming as it seems just have to have all the right equipment and ofcouse a mechanic with determination and knowlegde THATS MY OPINION

Last edited by chapita; 02-19-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

your opinion is the same as mine.

The guy I used works out of his garage/shop, doesnt charge up the ***, and gets his **** done. I gave him my truck on a thursday night and it was ready be 11 o'clock saturday morning. he did my tranny swap and he charged me $210 and I gave him $250 or $260. I like working with people like that and you can tell they appreciate the extra $$$ to put a roof over the wife and kid's head. It all adds up.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chapita
hey dry kill another alternative is coming down here to the valley my friend just did his swap and it cost him 375 dollars with the cam installed the guy that does this work has done several already and i was surprised at how fast he is we took him my friends truck new motor and the cam and springs and he finished it in one day now that is fast service one day to swamp out motors and he also did the cam and springs and then during the week he did to more conversions with cam and springs as well eacl in a days of work not bad price IMO so take out your calculaterand sum up the expenses;
motor and cam swamp 375
about 100 bucks of gas both ways
and 25 bucks for food
=500 and you can do this on a weekend like I said this guy takes only one day to do the conversion and cam swamp
shoot me a p.m. if you want more info
besides your only 6 hours away and you will be saving at least 1000 dollars
that sounds like a really good price, HPE was gunna charge me 1600 and 3 days, 3 days aint too bad but 1600 bucks is, i have this one guy that can do it for 650, downside is he said it will take about 2 weeks because he has other projects, and also he said he doesnt have too much experience with my year truck, (2001) but that sounds like a really good offer, i think i may do that

Quick Reply: engine swap, how hard can it be???!!!