PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   engine swap, how hard can it be???!!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/engine-swap-how-hard-can-359144/)

dry_kill 02-14-2006 06:41 PM

engine swap, how hard can it be???!!!

Ok fellas, I'm saving up for my LQ9, I'm a little over halfway there, this one shop will charge me 1600 bucks to swap it for my current 5.3, I was wondering, is this something I could do myself? Or should I just say fuck it and wait another 5 months to save up 1600 bucks??? Thx fellas

BADMOFO 02-14-2006 06:45 PM

Do you have any friends with mechanical skills that could help? It's alot easier with at least one other person.

dry_kill 02-14-2006 06:59 PM

Ya I got a buddy that knows a few things about cars, but just one, my other friends can't even change there own oil, I mean I know a few things about engine, I just figure it can't be too hard, just the hardest thing is making sure all the electrical stuff is unplugged, its not like I'm taking the engine apart, just a direct swap, what u fellas think? Anything else I should look out for? Thx o yea, and tools won't be a problem, got a buddy with a air compressor n plenty of tools, any special tools I might need?

99Silver6.0 02-14-2006 07:31 PM

Its not too bad. Took my time, did the engine, tranny and converter in almost 2 days with a few little snags.

1slow01Z71 02-14-2006 08:35 PM

You can do it. Its not that hard to do. When are you planning on doing the swap?

Zick 02-14-2006 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Its not too bad. Took my time, did the engine, tranny and converter in almost 2 days with a few little snags.

:werd:

dry_kill 02-14-2006 08:56 PM

i plan on doing the swap in about 2 months, still gotta save up a little bit more money for it

dry_kill 02-14-2006 09:03 PM

i might wait longer to do it, because im going to cam it, and i would much rather put the cam in it while its out, then to put it in then have to take it back out to put the cam in, well i doubt i'll put the cam in myself since i know nothing about how to put a cam in, but i know labor will be cheaper if i bring them the engine with the engine out

1SlowHoe 02-14-2006 09:18 PM

Put the cam in yourself. There is a write up on LS1Tech or somewhere with step by step instructions. Since the motor will be out a cam swap is cake! I bet you could do the cam swap in a couple of hours, much faster if a buddy is helping you. If your doing springs it will take a little longer. The engine swap itself is 90% labor, 10% brain power. Label everything you take off or disconnect with masking tape or something. Most plugs will only reach the socket they go in and most all have unique shapes so its pretty hard to fudge it up. Engine stand, cherry picker and your basic tools and get to it. If your thinking of making it a high revving engine you might want to get some Katech rod bolts. Quick and easy swap while on a stand. Keep saving your $$:jest: It just gets more expensive from here.

dry_kill 02-14-2006 10:08 PM

I think I'm just scared of doing it because I always have bad luck when it comes to doin things to my truck