INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man, I have that spring tool that you can borrow if you need to. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM earlier....I haven't been on since Friday. I wish I could give you a hand....I'm tied up for the next two or three weekends. Let me know though when you're ready to give it another go, and if I'm free I'll come give you a hand.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
sweet, thanks man. Ill get her done yet, hopefully the weekend after Ill get some time at my buddy's shop so I've got some air and that will make thinks like the harmonic balancer easier. BTW, the 2 bolts underneath for the crankcase/timing cover, how the hell do u get those out??? those were tight as hell when I tried
I don't remember those bolts being excessively tight...although I think I remember moving a harness out of the way? If you're using a 1/4" rachet, step up to 3/8 and they should break loose pretty easily.

Totally do the job in a shop with air, it makes life so much easier
Old 03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PappyDan
thats what i use.
had no problem at all.
I have the same type except its snap on brand so it cost a little more I'm sure, but I haven't had any problem with mine. But your forearms start to burn after a while, especially with some stout springs.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

well the LS1 how to says that since my motor is an 01 and later that the seal is a separate piece and only needs to be removed if I replace the seat? can I only replace the retainer since the seat is on the bottom and the factory spring is flat on the bottom?
which valve springs do you have. some valve springs require new seats, seals, retainers, and locks. i think most dual springs do.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

ok here is mine. total cost of tools-50.00. the puller is a cheapo that has worked for several cam swaps with no problems. magnets work greatand my spring compressor is a freebie.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

sweet, thanks man. Ill get her done yet, hopefully the weekend after Ill get some time at my buddy's shop so I've got some air and that will make thinks like the harmonic balancer easier. BTW, the 2 bolts underneath for the crankcase/timing cover, how the hell do u get those out??? those were tight as hell when I tried

From my experience when I tore my motor down, the best way to get those two bolts out at the bottom of the timing cover is to get in there with a 10mm rachet wrench. If you don't have one, get one, its such a common bolt size on these trucks that you will use it all the time.

Also, sorry to hear about your problems with your cam install. I was so proud of myself after doing my cam/head install by myself until about 5 min. into the breakin procedure and one of my cam bearing failed, locked the cam, broke the timing chain, and bent a bunch of valves. At least you didn't have to change the motor in your truck.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chevy6.0fan
From my experience when I tore my motor down, the best way to get those two bolts out at the bottom of the timing cover is to get in there with a 10mm rachet wrench. If you don't have one, get one, its such a common bolt size on these trucks that you will use it all the time.

Also, sorry to hear about your problems with your cam install. I was so proud of myself after doing my cam/head install by myself until about 5 min. into the breakin procedure and one of my cam bearing failed, locked the cam, broke the timing chain, and bent a bunch of valves. At least you didn't have to change the motor in your truck.
hah, no joke bro. Im gonna grab my dad's ratchet wrench next time. It was a stressful *** day for me and it got to me so I canned it. But next time Im gettin up hella early and Im gonna bang that **** out.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Im lookin to maybe give it another go weekend after next at a buddie's, he has a compressor and can maybe get an air gun for that harmonic balancer bolt.. I can do it by hand but its a bitch. I donno, I just need someone else who knows vaguely what they're doing and I can give em a ratchet and say have at it on the other side of the valves. I think that's gonna take the longest since Im gonna do the top-dead center method. But I donno. I gotta hear from him by like tomorrow or somethin. Maybe someone will get free and we can really get it done. Let me know if anyone has some free time or suggestions, I guess I could wait a couple more weeks?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the air tool that you hook up to the spark plug holes to pressurize the cylinder when you're doing the spring swap. Weekend after next won't work for me. I'm out of town this coming weekend and I'm having surgery on my ankle on Friday March 14 so I'll be out of commission that weekend as well. Beyond that depends on how I'm feeling. I'm not supposed to put any weight on it, and I'm sure I wouldn't be much help hobbling around on crutches
Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Get the crane spring tool for an LS1.

worth its weight in gold. its the best 120 bucks i ever spent.
Worth its weight in gold

Quick Reply: Bad News