Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Warranty -what mods can you do? Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty -what mods can you do? Tuning

Just picked a 17' scsb with a 5.3. I'd like to get it tuned but I don't know if that would void the warranty. I heard the gm techs can tell if there was a tune even if you reflash the computer to stock.
I justified the purchase as the truck was a good deal and i needed a new work truck lol
Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

They can tell if you tune it. Even if you put it back to stock it changes the flash counter.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Tuning, even if just a tire calibration, voids the warranty! About only things you can really get away with sometimes are an intake and a cat back. As far as the intake goes do not use an oiled filter, in event you have a maf failure or certain codes come up they will blame it on the oil from the filter getting on the maf and in throttle body and void the warranty... its a real pain but they do have to prove that what you did or the part you put on directly lead to the failure.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Teching In

When you disconnect the battery it trips the "flash counter". Your warranty can't be voided for an aftermarket upgrade that can't be directly proven to have caused the issue. My dealership said they don't even look for a tune unless there is a catastrophic engine/tranny failure. Then they look to see if the truck was running outside of design parameters. Pontiac warrantied a failed cat on my TA, when the replacement cat came in, they told me they couldn't install it because I had LT headers and it wouldn't bolt in. So they gave it to me. At the end of the day it comes down to this, if you decide to mod, you may or may not get a little push back from the dealership. If there is an issue, they can not automatically void your warranty, but they may try to make you believe they can. There are many dealerships that are mod friendly, may be a good idea to ask yours. The way I feel about it is this, if you are not going FI or NOS, it is highly unlikely you will damage anything so probably no need to worry, but at the end of the day it is your truck, so do whatever you are comfortable with! Rant over!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just read that the 14's and 15's are much easier to tune or mod hmm...

I was eyeballing the new 2.9 whipple. I have a 2.3 from athe gmt900 gen IV but haven't done the research to see if it would fit on these new motors as I was only researching the new Duramax.

Apparently there still aren't much mods to make the 6l80e stronger and you can't do a 4l80e swap, is swapping in a 6l90e possible?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Stock 6L80e can support 500-600hp easy, the transmission tune is the key. The 8 speed trucks still have limited tuning from what I read or attempt to follow on the HP Tuner forums. All my knowledge is still with the 6L80e.

The EcoTech 3 is a completely different motor than the older GMT-900's, as they have direct injection and all that other fancy stuff so doubtful that the blower could ever work.

Like said, tuning will void the warranty so you do run that risk. 2017's also cost 2-4x as much to tune with the new controllers. I think it's 4 credits to unlock the PCM and might be even 2-4 credits to unlock the TCM that you have to send in to HP Tuners if you chose HP Tuners.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Stock 6L80e can support 500-600hp easy, the transmission tune is the key. The 8 speed trucks still have limited tuning from what I read or attempt to follow on the HP Tuner forums. All my knowledge is still with the 6L80e.

The EcoTech 3 is a completely different motor than the older GMT-900's, as they have direct injection and all that other fancy stuff so doubtful that the blower could ever work.

Like said, tuning will void the warranty so you do run that risk. 2017's also cost 2-4x as much to tune with the new controllers. I think it's 4 credits to unlock the PCM and might be even 2-4 credits to unlock the TCM that you have to send in to HP Tuners if you chose HP Tuners.
I just started on the tuning for my 2017 Silverado, and it is 4 credits for the PCM and if you have an 8 speed it is an extra 4 credits for the TCM and they have to unlock the TCM at HP Tuners before you can tune it. If you have a 6 speed there is no extra cost or unlocking needed to tune that TCM. We had to transmit the vin and the first read to HP Tuners to be added to there data base before being able to tune it. That being said the first read and write of the tune on the 2017s you have to be connected to the internet via wifi(hotspot). After that you do not need to be connected to the internet to upload tune files as long as its the same computer you used initially. We just used my trucks wifi and it worked no problem. These new PCMs are very complex thus the extra cost to tune them.

On the warranty I am lucky and have a local GM dealer that is very lax when it comes to doing service on tuned vehicles. I had a transmission failure on an 09 Impala SS and they did a full replacement of the transmission and said to just dial back the transmission line pressure to help extend the life of the transmission. They were cool about it but I am sure others would have not done the same.

Last edited by Gorske; 03-19-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. I guys i'll keep it stock till the warranty runs out.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo I believe it's going to be a non-issue unless you actually blow the motor or trans because of the mods. Most of the issues with these motors and transmissions are the same, and the dealer isn't going to be checking the flash counter because an afm lifter failed or you need a replacment torque converter.

Crack a ringland on the other hand, and they probably will, Being as that it would be your fault, probably shouldn't be too upset about it.

I am super cautious about losing my warranty, and I had my truck tuned.

The gains you get from tuning are so great it's worth the small additional risk.

I also had my trans thermal bypass valve and an injector replaced without taking my tune off, no issues.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

My dealer said as soon as they plug into the computer my entire truck warranty will be void. I would drive it for a few thousand miles to get any issues behind you. Then put a Whipple or a Mag on it. If you're going to lose your warranty it may as well be a worthwhile mod. If my truck was older it wouldn't have a warranty anyway so I don't consider it a big deal. I have never regretted doing the blower. After having more miles on it now I would never drive it stock...too slow. Like I said put some miles on it first, then mod and enjoy the hell out of it!