Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Warranty -what mods can you do? Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Btw I think the 2.3 would fit fine with a different manifold but just have to check with Whipple. 6l80 is plenty tough unless you go crazy.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
My dealer said as soon as they plug into the computer my entire truck warranty will be void.!
The dealer is blowing smoke, they don't even check for a tune unless you blow something up

it's not part of the technicians procedure unless you have a major issue that doesn't already have a tsb out, and most of the issues do. I don't think there has been any case on any of the forums where someone was denied warranty for something that actually wasn't their fault.

There is no question in my mind that gm's real policy is "if you blow up your motor or tranny and it wasn't our fault, we're not paying for it because now you can't hide it"

Tune away IMO
Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They won't worry about the tune unless you need an engine replacement. That's it. We have to send the calibration history to GM and they verify the calibrations are OEM before they approve the engine replacement.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

They will do the same for a trans if they suspect something.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zman82
The dealer is blowing smoke, they don't even check for a tune unless you blow something up

it's not part of the technicians procedure unless you have a major issue that doesn't already have a tsb out, and most of the issues do. I don't think there has been any case on any of the forums where someone was denied warranty for something that actually wasn't their fault.

There is no question in my mind that gm's real policy is "if you blow up your motor or tranny and it wasn't our fault, we're not paying for it because now you can't hide it"

Tune away IMO
I talked to my dealers service manager but maybe I got screwed bc he said he couldn't even diagnose it or it would void my paint warranty, interior...unrelated items as soon as they plug in to diagnose. I had my fuel pump and module go out for no damn reason. He suggested I pay out of pocket to preserve the unrelated warranties. Do you work for GM and have 1st hand knowledge or is that what you have heard? I would sure like to know if they gave me bad info. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

I talked to my dealers service manager but maybe I got screwed bc he said he couldn't even diagnose it or it would void my paint warranty, interior...unrelated items as soon as they plug in to diagnose. I had my fuel pump and module go out for no damn reason. He suggested I pay out of pocket to preserve the unrelated warranties. Do you work for GM and have 1st hand knowledge or is that what you have heard? I would sure like to know if they gave me bad info. Thanks!
I pretty much read every post on every forum regarding the warranty before I got my tune. I have also taken my vehicle in for service to diagnose and repair a transmission overheating and a rough start cel, both of which had parts replaced and I had my tune installed on the vehicle.

I've heard from numerous GM technicians that posted on forums, and they all say that GM requires them to check for a tune if and only if they have a major hard part failure and it's not common. You melt a piston the procedure is to contact gm for replacement, and they will not authorize replacement unless the ecu is checked.

if they are not repairing things because of you tune, that is the dealership being a dick. Can they blame it on your tune if they want? yes; but they are doing that on their own without motivation from GM. They are intentionally for whatever reason, trying to get you to pay for things without using the warranty process.

Unless of course your fuel pump failure was because of the modifications and they are trying to do the right thing.

I can't say for certain, but I'm like 90% sure only your powertrain warranty is effected should they want to escalate it.

i would find a different dealer, don't even tell them aout the tune.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

In my case it was the Whipple but like you said its a given on the powertrain but fuel pump? Thought that was pretty shitty.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

In my case it was the Whipple but like you said its a given on the powertrain but fuel pump? Thought that was pretty shitty.
Oh, didn't realized you were supercharged, can't see signatures on the mobile platform. I can see why that might be a problem lol. That's a little different than the common stock or lightly modified truck with a tune, which is what I'm referring too.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you got fucked
Old 03-22-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I know that but my question is, was it a legitimate ******* or bs lol?