Stabilatrack/traction control fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:35 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RacinRust
This is from the GM electrical manual- - -
"When an electromechanical solenoid or relay is de-energized rapidly by a mechanical switch or semiconductor, the collapsing magnetic field produces a substantial transient voltage in its effort to disperse the stored energy and oppose the sudden change in current flow. These voltage spikes can occur at the positive terminal when the solenoid or relay is de-energized (keyed-off). If a solenoid or relay is wired onto the Run/Crank circuit of the vehicle to control aftermarket equipment, the spikes can be transmitted onto the circuit. The spikes can permanently damage the internal circuitry of the sensitive electronic components and/or control modules that are on this bussed circuit. To prevent damage to these components, the solenoid or relay MUST have the control circuit suppressed with a diode."
That makes sense, thanks. The relay diagram below shows where I'd planned on wiring it in the relay. The switch is on 86 and 85 is grounded. 30 goes towards the ABS pump and 87 going towards the fuse box with 87a being unused. I would then put the diode before pin 87 preventing backflow going towards the fuse and whatever controls the ABS pump?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PSM
That makes sense, thanks. The relay diagram below shows where I'd planned on wiring it in the relay. The switch is on 86 and 85 is grounded. 30 goes towards the ABS pump and 87 going towards the fuse box with 87a being unused. I would then put the diode before pin 87 preventing backflow going towards the fuse and whatever controls the ABS pump?

Good plan. But just remember you are going to be controlling a 40 amp circuit. So even in the NO position you will still be controlling the ABS system through your relays, albeit bypassed but still present. Also for safety need to make sure you pull your switched source through the MBEC. It is already bussed, and your relay source from your UBEC, using a secondary inline all weather fuse holder there. Never want to blow a main fuse because of an added on circuit !
Old 04-19-2015, 11:43 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm still a little confused on where to put the diodes in the circuit. Do I put it in the control side or load side of the relay, and in which direction do they face?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for the speedy response. The diodes will go between the main power input and the ground terminals. This is where the feed back or bounce gets back into the ground side. Ohms Law!!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:31 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Gotcha, what size diodes did you end up using?