Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

4x4 or 2wd for a superchargerd performance Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

It won't be so bad from a dig if you can plant the tire. From a slow roll, not so much...

To clarify I'm talking about once your making some real power like Lmm or a 12.0 truck. A 10 second truck can lay down rubber at 90 mph. Now that is something to see

Last edited by ZO6Ted; 10-24-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 408 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I hate stabilitrack. When I hold my button down and turn off TCS and stabilitrack and hammer the rear end out real far it still engages the front brakes trying to pull it back in line. And it turns the damn system back on when it does that. Leaves the TCS off but turns the stabilitrack back on.

Damn thing won't let me have any fun.

Ted when I put yours in 4 hi the other day it felt like the diff was locked, it didn't wanna turn for ****. Again me not knowing much about all the 4wd and Awd jazz, I assume that's what it was doing. Sucks because if it didn't, you could just leave it in 4 hi and be AWD all the time! If you're into that kind of thing anyway.
If I stay fully into it the throttle the stabiltrack seems to be overcome and does little, if I pull off the throttle at all it will start to take control. So, basically if I wuss out it try's to help me out, lol. I don't mind it but next trip out to the track it will be left on the curb so when I finally launch it at the track I won't have to fight it.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (10-25-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joshua99ta
i bought a 2wd. Wouldnt have minded having a 4x4 but couldnt get my hands on the right truck in 4x4. Get the suspension right with enough tire out back and traction shouldnt be that much of an issue
Im running 12.50 mud terrains, they are sticky, I can melt them down at 40 mph. Your gonna need slicks, lol.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Thanks man I appreciate the link.

I now know two things.. well 3. I can unplug my wheel speed sensor to disable the system. I can build my own shut off for pretty much free with the stuff I have laying around the shop. Or 3 I can just buy that kit lol.

But mostly, now I know how it's done and that's what I really wanted to know so I super appreciate that part.

I asked my tooner if he knew of a way to disable it fully when I press the button and he said not that he is aware of. Sucks you have to kill the system to get it done.

I could also just pull the ABS fuse. But the switch makes it so much easier.
I've known about that Shane Hinds kit for quite a while, but haven't read reviews from anyone. I've passed on that link to people and asked them to guinea pig it, but no one has. Has anyone here used it?

Also, I pulled the ABS fuse on my 2017 to try and disable stabilitrak, BAD IDEA. Might be different on an earlier model though depending on what that particular fuse is also tied to. My attempt threw tons of codes, reduced power, and screwed up my steering. I cleared the codes and all was fine, but I'm never doing that again. I'm going to try pulling a wheel speed sensor someday instead...or just buy the kit if I can get some reviews on it.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mileguru
I've known about that Shane Hinds kit for quite a while, but haven't read reviews from anyone. I've passed on that link to people and asked them to guinea pig it, but no one has. Has anyone here used it?

Also, I pulled the ABS fuse on my 2017 to try and disable stabilitrak, BAD IDEA. Might be different on an earlier model though depending on what that particular fuse is also tied to. My attempt threw tons of codes, reduced power, and screwed up my steering. I cleared the codes and all was fine, but I'm never doing that again. I'm going to try pulling a wheel speed sensor someday instead...or just buy the kit if I can get some reviews on it.

Damn well okay on the fuse. Let us know how it goes with the speed sensor.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
Im running 12.50 mud terrains, they are sticky, I can melt them down at 40 mph. Your gonna need slicks, lol.

A mud tire isn’t going to hook up. Regular street tire would hook better. But a 275 drag radial will hook just about anything under 600rwhp on the street with a decent suspension setup. But sounds like your in a lifted truck. A set of the 390 m&hs should work fine
Old 10-26-2019, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joshua99ta
A mud tire isn’t going to hook up. Regular street tire would hook better. But a 275 drag radial will hook just about anything under 600rwhp on the street with a decent suspension setup. But sounds like your in a lifted truck. A set of the 390 m&hs should work fine
Just an FYI, certain mud terrains hook up extremely well, so watch out for the sleeper wearing his mud boots. They are soft and sticky...
Old 10-26-2019, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
Just an FYI, certain mud terrains hook up extremely well, so watch out for the sleeper wearing his mud boots. They are soft and sticky...
well i need to know which ones those are
Old 10-26-2019, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Toyo, atturo and Nittos are decent but toyo and atturo are soft and grab the pavement very well, only down side I've found is small chunks come out of edges if you are on bad road surface.