Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

48 series battery vs 94. New batt = fixed power steering.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default 48 series battery vs 94. New batt = fixed power steering.

CLIFF NOTES:
-Put a 94 series in not a 48, to fit the 94 unbolt the coolant jug and lean it to the side
-If you're having problems with your power steering try a new quality 94 series battery before trying a $1000 rack. (That's if you do it yourself, probably over 2k at a shop) A new 48 may do the trick too but with the high electrical demand of the power steering, fans etc, the higher amperage battery with a higher AH rating will work better.

This thread is about 2 things, what battery fits and how, and battery/power steering performance.

So the story here is I was looking at batteries for my truck, mine wasn't dead but I have been suspecting for a couple of years that something was just off about it, even though it tested okay. But my power steering issues have gotten worse recently.

Anyway everyone shows a group 48 or group 94 series to fit the truck. The 94 has a higher amperage rating and knew I wanted that, but I also assumed it already had a 94, it didn't.

Fitment... When I got in there it actually had a 48 in it, I couldn't tell before pulling the fuse box off the top of the battery. The 48 came out with just pulling the fuse box and battery terminals and fender brace. The 94 will not go in or out like that though, you have to move the coolant jug which is really easy, it's 2 10mm bolt head bolts and you can move it over out of the way and the battery goes right in.

Performance, my truck has always started up just fine since I bought it in January 2018, and the battery was built 10/2016 so I assumed the battery was fine and the power steering issues were due to the steering rack, had heard there were a lot of problems with them going out.

My power steering... ever since I got my truck the power steering would "stop" the wheel if I was turning it pretty fast or having to do a maneuver where I had to turn back and forth a lot, ESPECIALLY in the summer when fans were on high, seat coolers etc. It would only do it every few months so I ignored it, and I could get it to turn when it did it by just turning the wheel slower. Over this past weekend it got to where it did it several times in one weekend so I decided to try a battery before a rack, and my battery is right about 4 years old now where they normally fail, so it needs it soon anyway.

I've only had the 94 in for 10 or so minutes but it starts up quite a bit quicker and sounds more effortless, and I went hard on the steering wheel and the power steering felt better than ever and didn't slow down or stop the wheel.

Old 09-29-2020, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I'll come back and update if the power steering acts up, it's a bit early to be able to tell. But so far it is better.
The following users liked this post:
Jonblarc7 (09-30-2020)