Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

1/4 Times

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1/4 Times

What’re y’all runinng now at the track? Mine is a 2014 Crew Cab, with 1 7/8 long tubes, y pipe, 3.5” exhaust. My truck is already good to go on E85. Getting tuned this Friday and I want to dig into the 13’s! Thinking about a Circle D 3000-3200 for the next upgrade.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I believe Gorske got to a best of 13.9 in his extended cab 4wd 5.3 truck.

I believe most are in the lower to mid 14's but i've only seen 3-4 people post about it. These are mostly tune only trucks or light bolt on and tune. I haven't taken mine to the track but I wouldn't be able to hook well so I'm sure my time would suck ***. I would hope for a low 14 possibly super high 13. But again, I think i'll blow the tires off too much to get a good time.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:31 AM
Launching!

agreed! I saw his was 4wd also so gives me a little hope even though he probably has a better 60’. weather is iffy here in Okc so i’m not sure if i’ll get to go. Mine has heavy OEM 22’s and a 285/45 tire so I’m sure that’ll be my problem also but we’ll see! Ill post in here when I get to go
Old 04-30-2019, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hunterbohanan23
agreed! I saw his was 4wd also so gives me a little hope even though he probably has a better 60’. weather is iffy here in Okc so i’m not sure if i’ll get to go. Mine has heavy OEM 22’s and a 285/45 tire so I’m sure that’ll be my problem also but we’ll see! Ill post in here when I get to go
Definitely let us know how it does. I had the horsepower bug on my truck for a while and I have gotten all the stuff I wanted done, done (Intake exhaust headers tune and suspension work). And I was gonna pull the spare and bed liner out and go to the track but once I got done with all the mods I kinda lost the race truck interest and I ordered 24's for it lol. Otherwise I would have gone to the track soon and had some info for ya. I'm sure the bug will come back and I'll want to go to the track to see what it'll do but right now i'm in this cruise it make it look good phase.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Launching!

for sure! after I run it i’m ordering the L86 intake and throttle body to see how it does after. Still unsure on a CAI.. But, after these mods it’ll get dropped 3/5 on 24’s also and have a set of 18-20’s to play with.. I want to procharge it later down the road also! 13’s or bust and then trying to get it to the 12’s with boost
Old 05-02-2019, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

for sure! after I run it i’m ordering the L86 intake and throttle body to see how it does after. Still unsure on a CAI.. But, after these mods it’ll get dropped 3/5 on 24’s also and have a set of 18-20’s to play with.. I want to procharge it later down the road also! 13’s or bust and then trying to get it to the 12’s with boost
Nice!!

A cold air is a must in my opinion. There's plenty of info and testing out there showing avg of 15-20 hp gains even with a simple K&N 63 like mine

I may go lower on mine, not sure yet, I like going against the grain usually. Right now I'm on a 1/3 drop and the only products I used were drop shackles and shock extenders. I cut half a coil off the front springs (still rides the same and aligns great) and I pulled the stock lift blocks out of the rear. I pull a boat too so I'm gonna see how the wheels look with the truck like it is and see how it does with the boat. That all being said, I am itching to do a 3/5 myself. So if I do I'll order front spindles and a flip kit with lift hangars.

BTW. I been looking at a lot of kits etc and Recklez suspension said they have tried them all and now advertise and sell the components that work the best. They sell them individually and said at the end of this week they should have kits on the website with their favorite brands of each component. So if I decide to lower it I'm definitely gonna get with those guys. They lower tons of GM trucks and it appears they do top notch work so I'm gonna follow whatever they recommend.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 05-02-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Launching!

info is so conflicting so it’s hard to decide.. 99-13 models seemed to work well with aftermarket tube and stock box. Not so much the case with these new LT’s.. Just unsure. I’m dialed down to Volant, S&B, or AFE. Volant requires tuning and seems to go lean after install. But regardless I’m doing the manifold swap and CAI at same time so it’ll be retuned anyways.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

info is so conflicting so it’s hard to decide.. 99-13 models seemed to work well with aftermarket tube and stock box. Not so much the case with these new LT’s.. Just unsure. I’m dialed down to Volant, S&B, or AFE. Volant requires tuning and seems to go lean after install. But regardless I’m doing the manifold swap and CAI at same time so it’ll be retuned anyways.
Do the tune period. To maximize the results you need to tune. I've learned that a couple of times with this truck (14+). It was that way with earlier LS vehicles I owned and modded but the case is more extreme on this truck. Yeah i've seen the conflicting results but I trust my tuner and he is damn good at what he does so I trust what he says. He says of all the ones he's done they have gained power and he's even swapped them on the dyno and saw 15-20. And anyone that knows much about air flow can see how an aftermarket intake will help. I think most/all trucks would do well with the stock box IF the opening to the box is adequate, that's usually the killer, a lot of boxes have a tiny opening they suck through. But for me, I don't see the point in dicking around with the stock box, we spend good money on these trucks why not throw a nice setup on it. I like the sealed box ones that suck air from the fender far more than the K&N but the K&N was on my truck when I bought it and I'm not gonna spend $400 to get 3 more hp than the K&N makes (if they even do make more).

As far as the tune being so important.. When I did headers on all of my cars previous to this truck I could feel the power even before it was tuned and not much of a difference after tuning. Polar opposite with this truck. I have a test spot I use to see what gains were there after each mod I've done. My truck was doing 86-87 mph at best before the headers and that was with the 5.3 catback. I ran it many times at this spot (it's on my way home from work so I could hit it every day if I wanted to without going out of my way). I put the headers on and the truck and the 6.2 catback and went the exact same speed... 86-87. It actually felt slower than before the headers or maybe that was my disappointment. Finally got in with the tuner and we went and street tuned it, took it the next day to the spot and it hit 91 mph at that spot, it's the only time it has. Now it does 89-90 every time.

This part doesn't make any sense to me but he actually said it was rich after the header swap and had to dial back the fuel a little and that's what gave it the extra power. You'd think it would lean out with additional airflow but it didn't. It could be other factors like 02 sensor placement being different etc.. either way I don't care I'm just glad it does it's thing now.