Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

street times vs track times for very fast cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 09:07 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default street times vs track times for very fast cars

how does everyone think a seriously fast cars street times will compare to track times?

around here we have a couple of 8 sec cars that are driven on the street a little and a few 9 sec cars too. if a car can run high 8's at the track what is the absolute best he could run on the street? assume slicks and a big smokey burn out on a clean street.

i am wondering exactly how fast i need to be to beat these guys(on the street), i should run the same times at the track as on the street, probably change over to a little wider tire at some point.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:36 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I personally think they would be a slower. I'd say that if it is a 8 or 9 second car, it is really prepped for the track. You'd have a huge advantage with street prep and the surface. Just look at all the complaints that were posted from the "fast" cars at the Thunder event about the truck guys on radials. If they didn't have to have the absolute best track prep, it would be a non issue. Don't get me wrong, they will still be very fast, just not able to do the same ET on the street.

What do you think?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:39 PM
single digit dreamer

what do i think? well i think a 12sec car or maybe even a low 11sec car can run the same on the street. at some point they wont be able to run the same ET but at what point and how much slower who knows. i guess i am just looking for oponions.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think it depends on the car itself as far as where the line is. Some cars have a really good suspensoin set up might not see any difference. Also, it would depend on the condition of the road. If you are on a slick asphalt road, then you will run slower in any vehicle. But then again, when I drive my stock Camaro on the street, it is impossible to get traction. I have not ran it at the track, but I would think that I could get better traction there.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone has an 8 sec car they probably have a REAL good idea on how to hook it up no matter what the surface. These cars you're talking about, are the owners street racers at all or just track? I'd say you better be at least running LOW 10's and hope the guy doesn't hook on the street.

You planning any weight reduction for the truck?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
If someone has an 8 sec car they probably have a REAL good idea on how to hook it up no matter what the surface. These cars you're talking about, are the owners street racers at all or just track? I'd say you better be at least running LOW 10's and hope the guy doesn't hook on the street.

You planning any weight reduction for the truck?
i am looking at over a year before i get this thing running crazy fast and who knows what problems will come up along the way. forged everything 409 , the new thick deck afr heads, built tranny, swap the front end, run as much boost as i can on 100 octane, spray another 100-200. the best part about this project is the seemingly endless list of serious mods i can do to make it faster.

these guys are mainly track racers but do bring out their cars on the street a few times a year.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by parish8
i am looking at over a year before i get this thing running crazy fast and who knows what problems will come up along the way. forged everything 409 , the new thick deck afr heads, built tranny, swap the front end, run as much boost as i can on 100 octane, spray another 100-200. the best part about this project is the seemingly endless list of serious mods i can do to make it faster.

these guys are mainly track racers but do bring out their cars on the street a few times a year.
The biggest factors will be whether the drivers are experienced with launching their vehicles on the street, and what sort of traction control devices they use.

There's a guy out here in Las Vegas who never wants to race at the track, he incites everyone into isolated street races for money and tends to mop them up every time.

Unless the 8-9 second racers are extremely cocky and perform extremely poorly during their street launches, I doubt that anyone in the 11-12 second range would be able to take them down, you would need to be within a second or so to make up for the difference at launch.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

It think all depends on the road and the car. With a good burnout and spaying down some vht, I can launch on the bottle and hook depending on the road. Oh this is in a 72 Nova on a 10'' slick with caltrac bars.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Well it depends on traction obviously. 8-9 sec track cars don't belong on the street. They are probably tubbed, narrowed, caged, tin cans made for the drags. Unless they are running a tire like an ET Street (pretty much a slick) they don't have a chance to run.

I have seen one dumbass driving with a full ET Drag tire on the street. One patch of water and your *** is all sorts of sideways. Not cool.

Can those 8-9 sec cars even maintain an idle? Their solid roller cams are insane probably too... 292/304 (@ .050) .7XX lift, 106LSA. No brakes...only manual No power steering. Open headers too? Gimme a ****** break man, no way would you catch me driving that on the street. Then what...after a run on the street are you going to need a parachute to stop?

Basically what I am saying those cars you are referring to aren't street cars. Street car to me is something than can be daily driven. Sit and idle for a while if stuck in traffic, not overheat in traffic. Vac for power accessories. Hell there are 12 sec street cars that pass the sniffer...'02+ Z06, '03 Cobra, '98+ Vipers, Porsche Turbo, AND get at least 12MPG on the freeway. Big power adders and AWD (nitrous, turbo, blower) seem to be the only way to have a FAST streetable and LEGAL car.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Well, my Hudson has no power steering or brakes and it is street driven

I would think that a mid 10 sec 1/4 mile time on the street woud whip about everything except for the guys that drive their drag car on the street once or twice a year.

Quick Reply: street times vs track times for very fast cars