Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Silverado OBX 6.2L 1 3/4" LT Catted Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you notice any exhaust noise beside the increased growl? I installed the obx 6.2 headers and a stock 6.2 catback with the resonator removed today on my tvs1900 5.3 truck. I had a couple small leaks that went away when i retorqued everything tonight. But when I go wot, up above say 4000-4500 rpm I get a faint noise that sounds like a leak. I rechecked for leaks and tightened everything again for good measure, but it's still there. Im thinking it's either just the nature of the stock chambered 6.2 muffler with that much flow or possibly my y pipe tapping the cross member when the engine torques over, as my y is VERY close to my tranny cross member.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pipe will tap that crossmember and make a noise like that. I believe I notched mine a little and that fixed it. I did not remove my resonator though. Not sure if that may make any difference.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 0235SS93
Do you notice any exhaust noise beside the increased growl? I installed the obx 6.2 headers and a stock 6.2 catback with the resonator removed today on my tvs1900 5.3 truck. I had a couple small leaks that went away when i retorqued everything tonight. But when I go wot, up above say 4000-4500 rpm I get a faint noise that sounds like a leak. I rechecked for leaks and tightened everything again for good measure, but it's still there. Im thinking it's either just the nature of the stock chambered 6.2 muffler with that much flow or possibly my y pipe tapping the cross member when the engine torques over, as my y is VERY close to my tranny cross member.

You could be experiencing a resonance causing something inside the muffler, a heat shield or hanger system to vibrate. On my 6.2 under hard acceleration I sometimes hear a noise that sounds like my heat shield is vibrating. I need to check it out too.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
You could be experiencing a resonance causing something inside the muffler, a heat shield or hanger system to vibrate. On my 6.2 under hard acceleration I sometimes hear a noise that sounds like my heat shield is vibrating. I need to check it out too.
Check the pipe by the crossmember and see if it is getting marked. Mine had little marks that indicated the tapping.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I crawled under it today to check things out. The y pipe showed no signs of touching, but i wasnt comfortable with what little (if any) clearance was there. So I heated up the spot right about the cross member and used a pry bar to "massage" some clearance into the pipe. You couldnt tell i did anything if you looked at it, but I now have 1/2" or better. Found a nut missing on the drivers side collector, but no signs of leakage. Pull the 2 bolts holding the catback connection and discovered the flange was leaking at the top, which explains why I didn't notice it before. I rtv'd the flange and carefully aligned it before cinching it down tight. No leaks now, no odds sounds! Just a quiet exhaust with a mean *** deep growl at wot! Funny thing is that just switching from shorties to long tubes got rod of nearly all the "whooshing", air-flow sound of the factory chambered muffler at wot. Im in love with my exhaust all over again!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 0235SS93
Well, I crawled under it today to check things out. The y pipe showed no signs of touching, but i wasnt comfortable with what little (if any) clearance was there. So I heated up the spot right about the cross member and used a pry bar to "massage" some clearance into the pipe. You couldnt tell i did anything if you looked at it, but I now have 1/2" or better. Found a nut missing on the drivers side collector, but no signs of leakage. Pull the 2 bolts holding the catback connection and discovered the flange was leaking at the top, which explains why I didn't notice it before. I rtv'd the flange and carefully aligned it before cinching it down tight. No leaks now, no odds sounds! Just a quiet exhaust with a mean *** deep growl at wot! Funny thing is that just switching from shorties to long tubes got rod of nearly all the "whooshing", air-flow sound of the factory chambered muffler at wot. Im in love with my exhaust all over again!
Double but your flanges and that should solve the problem of them working loose. I had that issue as well.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rijrunr
Double but your flanges and that should solve the problem of them working loose. I had that issue as well.
I'll have to make a trip to the hardware store!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

so these come with the adapter for the 09+ 6.2 factory cat-back. I want to order these, but I want to make sure they will bolt up without an exhaust shop to redo the y-pipe.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
so these come with the adapter for the 09+ 6.2 factory cat-back. I want to order these, but I want to make sure they will bolt up without an exhaust shop to redo the y-pipe.
Cool man can't wait to see ya get em on ! One of my next mods too .
Old 04-06-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya I'm wanting todo header & tune soon. Maybe even lower the truck and go back to factory size tires, these 33s killed my fuel mileage and low end torque!

Last edited by pewterliftedz; 04-07-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Silverado OBX 6.2L 1 3/4" LT Catted Header Install