Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Jamescb77 semi exciting NNBS turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jamescb77 semi exciting NNBS turbo build

Well guys i figured i would start a build thread to keep track of everything that i am doing and hopefully get some ideas from people when i screw things up.

This will be the first time that i have went this far with a gas engine. I have done many builds on diesel trucks but its a semi different world.

Anyways i had been searching for a clean NNBS and came across a 2011 5.3 6l80e truck with 45000 miles on it a few months black. It was an all black LT model and i decided i had to have it.

Made arrangements with the the owner and met him in indiana to make the purchase. Truck was better than advertised. It was a completely stock truck with a 4/6 drop already installed. Truck rode a little rough but was expected for what it was.

Plans moved forward for DOD/VVT delete with cam and a turbo setup.

I purchased a Trick stage 5 turbo setup from a member on here as well as some injectors and the fuel system he was running.

I also purchased all the DOD/VVT parts from Texas Speed which included the bald eagle 228/235 cam springs ls9 gaskets etc. Everything showed up very fast and all looked great.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

This was the starting point for the truck when i first brought it home.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

As i was gathering part i came across a build where a guy on here used JSM machine and fab to have a 4 link rear end built for he auto cross truck. I contacted them and asked if they has ever built any for straight line trucks and through communication got things sorted out on putting together a rear 4 link with viking coilovers.

Ill post some pics of this later when i get pics but i was very happy with the work and communication and think this is going to be a huge benefit

for the handling of this truck.

Last edited by jamescb77; 03-07-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Next up i did what anyone that really has only a small idea of what they are doing would do and thats tear the motor down as far as you can go. Basically took everything off the motor all the way to the short block. This is where the project has really started to grow. Initially the goal was a pretty stock build for phase 1 and get everything running on mostly stock components. As you will see it doesn't seem like that has happened.

Got everything off and started to do the springs and trunion kit which both went very well and were in my opinion very easy to install but def time consuming. Heads are stock 799 heads with PAC 660 springs and new texas speed one piece valve seals and seats.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

after I got the heads done and the cam installed i tapped the valley cover for the oil feed for he turbo after seeing three3GMC do it it seemes a much better option that feeding it from the bottom of the motor.
Started putting it all back together and cut the stock exhaust out of the engine bay. Finally starting to look like a motor again.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Went ahead and yanked the bed of the truck so i could start addressing the fuel system. This is when i really started changing things up. I pulled out the fuel lines and everything that i had bough and decided i was just not happy with how it was all hooked up and ran. So i ordered all new -8an lines and fitting as well as -6an return that i will run to the stock fuel line as a return. Fuel system will be dual walbro 450s in the buckets ran to an inline fuel filter and flex fuel sensor. I also have FIC1000 and Fast 90lb injectors so i will sell one and use one. I plan to run the truck on E85 the most of the time. I also impulse bought an AEM water/meth injection system basically because it seemed like the thing to do.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Pics of your rear suspension setup?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice looking truck and thanks for sharing!
Old 03-07-2018, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red04Silverado
Pics of your rear suspension setup?
pics are inserted above
Old 03-07-2018, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

got a little more done tonight. intercooler mounter and radiator back in.
Also put the turbo in to mock it up and make sure everything clears.

Kinda stuck waiting for the turbo drain fitting to come in before i can put the front of the motor back together and also awaiting my step bits so i can install the -8an bulkhead in the fuel sending unit.

Quick Reply: Jamescb77 semi exciting NNBS turbo build