GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

headers tune/MPG

Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Keep me informed . . .

Is "Lew" building you a custom tune?

Believe it or not, in addition to my two custom tunes, I also own a DiabloSport handheld tuner I used until I bought my custom tunes. Kinda gave up on it since it's canned tune caused UNREAL spark knock on my truck . . .
Yeah were almost done with it finally!! Would have been done awhile ago but my CAI kept giving me problems. He's done an amazing job IMO. Can't wait till DS gets TCM straightened out. Should be about 2months then we can unlock my trans. I am hoping your knock sensors are causing ur bad mileage.

I'm getting 14-15 city and 20+ on freeway depending on lead foot.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed - he comes highly recommended but is a b!tch to get in touch with! Seems to be a pattern with tuners . . .
Im serious geting to buy HP tuner/wideband and do that **** myself. I know there is a huge learning curve, but im willing to help out the community a bit. I heard there is a kick *** tuner school/course you can take in dallas that helps a ton. I've learned quite a bit already researching on HPtuners forums.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JetBlack98Z
Im serious geting to buy HP tuner/wideband and do that **** myself. I know there is a huge learning curve, but im willing to help out the community a bit. I heard there is a kick *** tuner school/course you can take in dallas that helps a ton. I've learned quite a bit already researching on HPtuners forums.
Let me know when you have done a few so you don't blow up my truck lol.'
I'd be interested in a good tune if it could beat the one i have.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
Let me know when you have done a few so you don't blow up my truck lol.'
I'd be interested in a good tune if it could beat the one i have.
HAHAH, sure thing bud. I'll definetly try to get some real experience before offering them to anybody else.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed - he comes highly recommended but is a b!tch to get in touch with! Seems to be a pattern with tuners . . .
Haha, yeah, he's a busy guy. But if you're in Bellaire, he's right around the corner from you and one of the best there is IMHO. Took my truck from not being able to squeek the tires at all, to laying stripes all the way down the block and a mid 4 second 0-60.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Mang213
Do you have a 6.2 with vvt? Tuning those has proven to be pretty damn tough, and Ive heard of mileage tradeoffs with them, but only the vvt motors. Seems like the tuners havent gotten them fully sorted out yet
oh yes they are hard to tune!!!!!!!!!!!! i had mine at the shop for 30days but was really happy with the outcome my VVT cammed 6.2 is at 19MPG id show my dyno graph but dont know how but this bad boy made 422rwhp and 414rwtq normally i dont like the rpms go over 2K but i have to drive like an old person to hit 19MPG
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 62nalide

oh yes they are hard to tune!!!!!!!!!!!! i had mine at the shop for 30days but was really happy with the outcome my VVT cammed 6.2 is at 19MPG id show my dyno graph but dont know how but this bad boy made 422rwhp and 414rwtq normally i dont like the rpms go over 2K but i have to drive like an old person to hit 19MPG
^^^^ooopsy i dont LET the rpms go over 2K
Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Haha, yeah, he's a busy guy. But if you're in Bellaire, he's right around the corner from you and one of the best there is IMHO. Took my truck from not being able to squeek the tires at all, to laying stripes all the way down the block and a mid 4 second 0-60.
You can do that in your tahoe stock heads and cam?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
You can do that in your tahoe stock heads and cam?
According to his sig he's boosted with supporting mods, so I'm going to guess that was post-supercharger; I really can't see a Tahoe running 4.5 seconds to 60 anywhere near stock.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JetBlack98Z
Indeed, I know his Quarter mile results were less than stellar, but there is so many factor in running a good Quarter mile time that i won't even get into that lol.

You feel like getting to that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: headers tune/MPG